Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

Bad Advice To Go Along With Bad Taste

Bad Advice To Go Along With Bad Taste

October 10, 2005

By Ken Schram  ken_schram.jpg

SEATTLE - It's not always the thought that counts. Last week a woman got kicked off an airplane for wearing a T-shirt. Not just any T-shirt mind you. This one had pictures of the president, the vice president and the secretary of state on it, along with a word that rhymes with "truckers." Now she's thinking of suing the airline for violating her civil rights. Well, "truck" that. I think she's getting some bad advice on that notion, which pretty much goes along with her bad taste in attire. I've come to discover there are entire Web sites dedicated to turning people into miniature billboards. I wouldn't suggest wearing many of the available T-shirts over to mom's for dinner, but if you want to get your political point across, you can do it without stenciling the "F" bomb on a piece of 100% cotton. And for a more demure statement, one can always opt for a button; virtually guaranteed not to get you kicked off an airplane. But then you wouldn't get to pretend that this has anything to do with civil rights. You know, it's still OK to wear you heart on your sleeve. But it's just plain dumb to splay your expletives across your chest. Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

So, what do you think?

I actually agree with Ken on this one. That woman on the plane displayed extremely poor taste and judgement.

I agree that it was incredibly bad taste. But, based on free speech laws, was it legal for them to put her off the plane?

Am I the only one who doesn't think there is anything wrong with the t-shirt? Ok, I agree, maybe not the "colourful metaphor" :veryangry: but a person should be able to freely express their opinion

Am I the only one who doesn't think there is anything wrong with the t-shirt? Ok, I agree, maybe not the "colourful metaphor"  <_< but a person should be able to freely express their opinion

357648[/snapback]

The "colorful metaphor," as you put it, "is the reason the shirt's in bad taste. Other than the word, I see nothing wrong with the shirt at all. :veryangry:

I agree that it was incredibly bad taste. But, based on free speech laws, was it legal for them to put her off the plane?

357640[/snapback]

There are usually public decency laws - I think I read in some article the regulation that gave them ahthority to do this.

Is there any difference between someone verbalising that type of language in a public place or displaying it visually in a public place? Both ways assult people's sensibilities and offend people. If someone was indecently swearing in public (public nuisance) I'm sure authorities would deal with the matter. If you wish to wear a shirt like that do it at home or among friends not in public.

If I wore a shirt that said "F* Osama" I'd probably get kicked off too, the shirt was in bad taste. You want to let your political point be known? Start a blog. that way I can choose to ignore you.

Wasn't there a Supreme Court case similar to this where a shirt said "F*** the Draft"? The result was in the shirt wearer's favor, and we got this nice line from the majority opinion: "One man's obscenity is another man's lyric."

Wasn't there a Supreme Court case similar to this where a shirt said "F*** the Draft"?  The result was in the shirt wearer's favor, and we got this nice line from the majority opinion: "One man's obscenity is another man's lyric."

357850[/snapback]

Why don't you find out and post the case #?

Hey, Gary, you ALWAYS use creative ways to avoid swearing on your radio show, why not create a shirt that has a picture of Osama and says "Peice of Toilet Filling" or something?

358180[/snapback]

Or simply, "Human Excrement."

HAHA!! That reminds me of a story at work. We were joke-smack-talking, and one guy said he had missiles armed to hunt me down. I said, "Yeah, but they're shoved up your a$$!!! My manager told me to watch my language. I then said, "Ok, you've got missiles, but they're rectally inserted!!" My manager just shook his head at that.