Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Bodies, cars trapped in bridge debris

:yahoo:

The latest word is that there are 5 confirmed dead, with 8 unaccounted for.

I flew into Mpls/St.Paul the day this occurred. I did not see any of the bridge, however. I live south of the Twin Cities, so I don't usually use that bridge unless going to a baseball game at the Metrodome.

I am still stunned at this disaster. Our state prides itself in maintaining its roads, esp. the federal and state

highways. There was an ongoing inspection of this bridge at the time of the collapse.

Dennis aka "Jaz"

I am still stunned at this disaster. Our state prides itself in maintaining its roads, esp. the federal and state

Obviously, they don't do THAT good a job of it considering this particular bridge has been deemed "structurally unsafe" for at least the last 10 years. This was a disaster just waiting to happen. The lawsuits are going to break the bank over there!

The bridge received a rating of 4 on a scale of 0 to 9. A bridge receives a rating of 4 when there is "advanced section loss, deterioration."

Obviously, they don't do THAT good a job of it considering this particular bridge has been deemed "structurally unsafe" for at least the last 10 years. This was a disaster just waiting to happen. The lawsuits are going to break the bank over there!

Don't solely blame the state on this one. The federal government yearly since forever, most likely Reagan's time, has cut back on funding for infrastructure. The bridges across the country are similar condition where the state's do not have enough funding to repair or replace the bridge.