Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

a question for fans who were alive before the Movies and were ST Fans

Ok just curious, I was not around when tos was on its 1st run, nor can I rember a time before the Star Trek Movies, but my question for the older fans here what were your feelngs when you saw The Motion picture and the Refit of the Enterprise, did you like it or was the change too radical for your liking, now for me and I'm a TNGer Generation, but grew up watching TOS on reruns, and I did not like the movie Versions of the Refit Enterprise compared to the TV Series, but I did like the set for the Enterprise-A better then both of them, just wondered on everyone else opinion

When it was announced that a movie was being made, it was like a shock wave throughout the Trek community. After so long without any new Trek, we were just ecstatic. Me and a friend waited in line for hours on the first day TMP came out. The atmosphere was almost the same as it was at a Grateful Dead concert. Everyone was SO pumped up! When we finally got in and the movie actually started, I actually had tears of joy running down my face all through the beginning scene with the Klingon battle cruisers. When the Enterprise was finally shown, I definitely remember hearing gasps of awe coming from the audience. We just loved it!

so it wasn't too much of a drastic change from the TV show Bridge for you, see i hate how the bridge looks in TMP compared to the TV show, maybe I got spoiled by TNG

Since I grew up with the reruns of TOS (saw it on Sundays) and then seeing the movie version on T.V (ST:"TMP") I for one very much enjoyed the Updated New refit of the Enterprise ("Bridge as well")from the T.V Series so the transition wasn't bad just took alittle getting use to then with the Destruction of the refit one they raised the bar even higher by improving the set for the Bridge Enterprise-A (ST IV:TVH-ST:TUC) whenever I see ST:TMP on T.V and also have it on VHS the part where ("Scotty and Kirk go to the New Enterprise seeing it from a few angles from the Shuttlepod just gets me awed and teary eyed every time- love also when it gets ready to leave Drydock and all the Lights come on) same thing in ST:TWOK the Drydock bit.

Quote from the film ("Out There that a way") Kirk to the Helmsman at the end of the film.

"THE HUMAN ADVENTURE IS JUST BEGINNING"

:tribble::drool::drool::drool:

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

I never gave it second thought, I always could see the Original ship hidden under the new skin. When it burned through the atmoshere in ST:3, the tears I shed was for the ship I'd always loved:

XH4.jpg

I was only 10 (almost 11) when TMP came out but I was a huge fan of TOS up to that point and grew up loving what we now think of as "Classic Trek". I too never minded the refit, for me it was expected. I wanted to see an updated version of the ship that reflected a somewhat more "modern" society.

Looking back over the full body of Trek movies I have to say that TMP wouldn't be the first one that I'd grab off the shelf to pop into the DVD player but in 1979 it was an awesome thing to be able to go watch on the big screen. It's hard to believe that it's been 27 years since it came out.

whenever I see ST:TMP on T.V and also have it on VHS the part where ("Scotty and Kirk go to the New Enterprise seeing it from a few angles from the Shuttlepod just gets me awed and tearyeyed every time- love also when it gets ready to leave Drydock and all the Lights come on) same thing in ST:TWOK the Drydock bit.

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

I never gave it second thought, I always could see the Original ship hidden under the new skin. When it burned through the atmoshere in ST:3, the tears I shed was for the ship I'd always loved:

post-2-1148416871.jpg

I ... was a huge fan of TOS up to that point and grew up loving what we now think of as "Classic Trek".

Looking back over the full body of Trek movies I have to say that TMP wouldn't be the first one that I'd grab off the shelf to pop into the DVD player but in 1979 it was an awesome thing to be able to go watch on the big screen. It's hard to believe that it's been 27 years since it came out.

Like LMP, I too get awed and teary eyed when the ship leaves drydock. And when the NCC 1701, ( no A, B, C or D - to quote Scotty!) burned up I too shed tears for the ship that had started it all. And as VBG says, in 1979 it was absolutely awesome and thrilling to see Trek on the big screen after the original series had been cancelled. :tribble:

Takara's note:

I thought one of the quotes in your post was warping the boards and tried to fix it but it turned out to be something else causing it so there wasn't anything actually edited in your post.

Edited by Takara_Soong

To add to my earlier post... As for the new ship design, most Trek fans were already aware of it long before the movie came out. The picture of the new Enterprise was in a lot of fan magazines back then. As for the movie, we were all so Trek deprived back then, it really didn't matter what they put up on the screen. We would have loved it no matter what.

IDK, The bridge just seems small compared to the TV Show, now Enginering and all that looked good, but the bridge just drives me crazy, Like I said I am Spoiled by better SFX now

Being a trek fan since it started in 1966 that old.

i have no prefrence. since they primaraly take place in

different time periods. TNG and DS9 do not count.

The Difiant was built for battle.

progression in design was a natural occurence.

Being a trek fan since it started in 1966 that old.

i have no prefrence. since they primaraly take place in

different time periods.

Ditto.

What I recall from having seen TMP again recently is completely relating to Admiral Kirk finally getting the Enterprise back, and just like him, thanking Scottie for the tour before going aboard.

Fans are pickier these days, perhaps because they never went through the long spell of no new Star Trek. See how you feel a few years from now.

Fans are pickier these days, perhaps because they never went through the long spell of no new Star Trek. See how you feel a few years from now.

I completely agree, though I was pretty young when TMP came out I had already seen TOS at least 5 times over in reruns because it came on every afternoon after school along with Gilligan's Island, The Brady Bunch, The Andy Griffith Show and The Monkees (not to mention Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp lol). I can clearly remember me and 2 of my brothers around the house saluting each other like they did in Mirror, Mirror or reciting dialog from episodes word for word (and the episodes we were reciting weren't even on at the time lol).

So even though I was 10 I was very ready for new adventures aboard the Starship Enterprise. The changes to the ship seemed cool but minor at the time, to me at least.

I indeed am old enough! 'Scuse me while I take my Geritol.. :giggle: At any rate, I recall being excited about the movie; there was of course a lot of buzz in the press; I remember a radio program about it...and I did like it. Yeees...many of my era don't look back so fondly. Could it have been better?Sure. And I can see why it's been argued, even in the TOS cast, that STTMP was more an sf film than Trek. Less reaction shots to V'Ger and more of something else would have helped. Spock had a significant arc here, and had grown by film's end. I do like the 'big threat' concept-albeit redone a la ''Changeling''...and the Enterprise. Yes-I liked, and like her reborn. I loved the sequence in which she is revealed to Kirk-and the music, then and throughout the film...Jerry Goldsmith was, bless him, terrific. Still get a rush sometimes when I listen to th soundtrack...and picturing the New lady of the stars, jumping into warp(to me, still a great way to show it) as she takes of into the final frontier. The adventure may just have begun with TMP...but it had to start somewhere, right? And we did get Kirk vs. Khan(Great Ricardo)

Oh..and for those who, like me, still have their early Starlog mags, remember Ralph McQuarrie, and his terrific Star Wars paintings? To you younger fans, FYI, said artist did a conceptual rendering of the new Enterprise, as well. Maybe someone will drag theirs out, and put it up on the site. It's what might have been....

Sure, it is considered a stinker by so many. No argument there. But I will remain on record as finding good moments in it, even in ST5. Okay, shields are up. Throw those tomatoes! Er...hey, wait-that's not a tomato-it's a plasma grenade!! KA-BOOOOMMMM!!!!!!.... :screwloose:

Edited by Voyager recruit

Star Trek The Motion Picture isn't really a bad movie, it has a decent story and excellent sci-fi themes. It's problem is that it is trying too hard to be this epic movie and in the process messes up its pacing. It's good but too long.

Star Trek The Motion Picture isn't really a bad movie, it has a decent story and excellent sci-fi themes. It's problem is that it is trying too hard to be this epic movie and in the process messes up its pacing. It's good but too long.

I agree, it's not a bad movie. I think everyone is just used to more action from a Star Trek movie after the last 10 that came out. Thinking back though the movie was epic... to me anyway. Of course I was 10 at the time and this was the first time I'd watched a "brand new" Star Trek that I actually understood and could comprehend. I say that because I did see three episodes in first run ( The Savage Curtain, All Our Yesterdays and Turnabout Intruder) even if only in little glimpses since I was just an infant lol. My father always made a point to tell me as I was growing up though that he made sure that I was there and at least pointed at the TV while they were on (same with the landing of Apollo 11 and Elvis Presley music).

I've always wondered if those things "imprinted" on my mind because I grew up a huge Elvis fan, a huge Star Trek fan (obviously) and the Apollo program has fascinated ever since I was a baby.

Anyway, back on topic... while it may seem slow and boring now we have to remember that without Star Trek The Motion Picture there wouldn't be 4 more series and 10 more movies for us to enjoy, love, hate or argue over.

I just watched it the other day, I'm re-watching all 10 of the movies. I watched Star Trek II on Saturday and Star Trek III yesterday. When I watch them I try to watch them twice in a row, once to just watch the movie and enjoy it. Then right afterwards I run it again but with the commentary audio track on so I can listen to the director or actors speak about whatever they're talking about.

No, the tapes wouldn't have the commentary. Only the DVD's would. With most, if not all movies that I watch (if I liked them) I'll re-play them with the commentary turned on so I could hear what the director and actors (if they're in it) have to say. It's quite interesting.

I've told this story a lot, but it was Star Trek The Motion Picture that got me hooked on Star Trek. I wasn't born until '83 and didn't become a fan until '03. Wal-Mart had a sale and one of the movies that was on sale was TMP. Bought and loved it and I've been a Trekkie ever since! So, I can say that TMP isn't a bad or boring movie if it is new to you. I hadn't seen any of the other movies or TV series before it, sot this was my first exposure. Even though I wasn't there in the theaters to see it, I still got the same experience as those in 1979 that saw the movie for the first time.

So, I agree that the movies and TV series afterwards just made TMP look bad (guilty right here), but by itself it's not.

Cinemassacre talks about the gap between the TV series and TMP in their review for TWOK on Spike's website here -> http://www.spike.com/video/cinemassacre-trek/3146903

I love Cinemassacre. They give good reviews, but have bad language every now and then for those that don't like that. This review above only has a couple and is worth checking out. They also review TSFS and TVH as well

The Pocket Books hardcover novel ''The Lost Years'' by J.M.Dillard fills in, non-canon, of course, events between the homecoming of the Enterprise, and the first film..such as how McCoy deals with Jim's promotion, why Spock chose the Kohlinahr, and Kirk's beginnings as an admiral. Some very dramatic events occur, which affects several of The Trio-one foremostly....