Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Gonna start watching DS9 all the way through

I just finished watching Voyager all the way through. So far it's my favorite series, but now that I've seen it in its entirety, I see it a little different. Almost like they ran out of ideas in the seventh season. Endgame rocked, but the few leading up to it weren't very good.

I never liked DS9 when it was on. I was bored by the solitary station (even though it looks cool) and none of the characters stuck with me. But I'm hoping to change my views, because I never really gave DS9 a chance. There's one thing about DS9 I haven't read the DS9 fans post, that I just realized. It's the only Trek that doesn't take place on a Starfleet ship or whatever. Not just that it's a station... If I remember correctly, it's either a Bajoran or Cardassian* station that the Federation are occupying because of some agreement. I'm sure the first episode will clear it up. (*I'm pretty sure it's a Bajoran station, but I know the Cardassians occupied Bajor, so I wonder if they might have some claim to it. I only know a little about Bajorans and Cardassians, and I've only heard of the Jem'Hadar, Dominion, etc. So I'm looking forward to the new races.

I don't really know what the point of this topic is... maybe you guys can help me with that. Is there anything you would recommend looking for or whatever? I know I should probably "just watch it" I guess, to start... without spoiling anything major, what's your favorite part of DS9, either on its own, or versus TNG or Voyager. Characters, ship vs. station, alien races, leadership styles, etc.

Let's see where this leads. I'm watching Emissary (1x01-02) for sure, and probably 1 or 2 more, tonight. I sleep in the afternoon and work all night, but I have tonight off. I hate nights off (and rarely have them) because there's nothing to do at night in this town. But I have a computer with DSL and a lot of storage, and I love Star Trek.

The best thing about DS9 is its story arcs ... oh, and it's secondary characters ... great writing ... whopping good push leading up to its final episode ... oh, and its great actors (some aren't so good at first, but really improve and grow on you as you go).

I thoroughly enjoyed the first three seasons. Naturally, there are some "tankers" but that is true with every show. The characters that I feel changed and evolved the most over the course of the series were Dr. Bashir, Major Kira, and after much consideration I'm going to throw Jadzia Dax onto this list.

For the most part, the cast clicked from the very first episode. Strong chemistry. If you liked O'Brien on TNG, you're gonna love him on DS9. Watch the relationship between him and Julian Bashir ... it's a joy to watch.

Quark/Rom/Nog are just hilarious. I used to not like Ferengi episodes, but now having watched the run of this series three times, they are among my very favorites. Armin Shimmerman's Quark always gets the funniest, best lines in most episodes, but Rene Auberjoinois' Odo is his own brand of comedy. And Andrew Robinson's Garak is a big plus for this show. And I think Gul Dukat (Marc Alaimo) is the best Trek villain ever ... even including KAHN.

Bajor's spirituality and faith is very different for Star Trek ... yes, you've met species who have religion, but you never get to spend much time focusing on them. Avery Brooks' Sisko is a reluctant participant who becomes one of the faithful over the course of the series. I love the episodes about him being the Emissary.

It's my favorite Trek because it was the most character driven. It had a very large cast, the focus on Klingons, Cardassians and Bajorans was very satisfying ... an in-depth study of a handful of races/planets and not just a "alien of the week" thing going on.

I envy you seeing all of these for the first time. When you get to episodes like "The Visitor," "Way of the Warrior," "Rapture," "For the Cause," "In Purgatory's Shadow," "By Inferno's Light," and "In the Pale Moonlight," I hope you'll come out here and tell us what you thought!

I really like the way that DS9 has found a new following among Trek fans since Spike has started showing it. DS9 was usually trashed during its original run. I'm happy that its getting the recognition now even though its long overdue. Its a truly excellent show.

The best thing about DS9 is its story arcs ... oh, and it's secondary characters ... great writing ... whopping good push leading up to its final episode ... oh, and its great actors (some aren't so good at first, but really improve and grow on you as you go).

I thoroughly enjoyed the first three seasons.  Naturally, there are some "tankers" but that is true with every show.  The characters that I feel changed and evolved the most over the course of the series were Dr. Bashir, Major Kira, and after much consideration I'm going to throw Jadzia Dax onto this list.

For the most part, the cast clicked from the very first episode.  Strong chemistry.  If you liked O'Brien on TNG, you're gonna love him on DS9.  Watch the relationship between him and Julian Bashir ... it's a joy to watch.

Quark/Rom/Nog are just hilarious.  I used to not like Ferengi episodes, but now having watched the run of this series three times, they are among my very favorites.  Armin Shimmerman's Quark always gets the funniest, best lines in most episodes, but Rene Auberjoinois' Odo is his own brand of comedy.  And Andrew Robinson's Garak is a big plus for this show.  And I think Gul Dukat (Marc Alaimo) is the best Trek villain ever ... even including KAHN.

Bajor's spirituality and faith is very different for Star Trek ... yes, you've met species who have religion, but you never get to spend much time focusing on them.  Avery Brooks' Sisko is a reluctant participant who becomes one of the faithful over the course of the series.  I love the episodes about him being the Emissary.

It's my favorite Trek because it was the most character driven.  It had a very large cast, the focus on Klingons, Cardassians and Bajorans was very satisfying ... an in-depth study of a handful of races/planets and not just a "alien of the week" thing going on.

I envy you seeing all of these for the first time.  When you get to episodes like "The Visitor," "Way of the Warrior," "Rapture," "For the Cause," "In Purgatory's Shadow," "By Inferno's Light," and "In the Pale Moonlight," I hope you'll come out here and tell us what you thought!

346507[/snapback]

None of the episodes you named are in the first two seasons (by my list), so I'll have a ways to go. Like I did with Voyager, I'll "review" episodes I feel like commenting on in that review/guide forum. I actually need to review a lot of the Seventh Season VOY eps I didn't write about but intended to.

Good idea, post some favorite episodes. :rolleyes:

I absolutely hate the Ferengi. Voyager only used them three times that I can recall, maybe a fourth time, and I was thankful. Quark is pretty funny from what I remember. I'm not really an O'Brien fan either as he didn't impress me much on TNG. But I know his character develops beyond his TNG role as he has a wife and child now, so maybe that'll change.

Lookin forward to it. :rolleyes: Like I said, I didn't like it when it was on, but I have a feeling if I give it a chance and start watching it, it will hook me. icon3.gif

I'm doing the same thing with TOS at the moment.

Just go into DS9 with an open mind, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. DS9 has a lot going for it - the characters and the stories are all excellent, with the odd exception of course.

I'm sure you've figured out your issue with the ownership of the station but if you wnat it cleared up just PM me.

I'm almost finished watching DS9 all the way through. Very good series. You'll love it.

Ditto to what everyone else has said. I really think that anyone can enjoy DS9 as long as they have an open mind and a bit of patience, once it gets into its groove things become really funky. Though for me DS9 only really comes into its own around the third season, the first two are a lot of fun and have some great episodes. Look out for Captive Pursuit, The Nagus, Duet, Whispers, The Wire and Tribunal as some examples of the more spectacular early episodes.

Enjoy yourself, I envy you. :rolleyes:

Edited by NordicBearskin

When the first two seasons were on, I was very young -- about 12-13, and I enjoyed those episodes at that age. They're very good introductions to the characters, but you really don't get into the archs until the huge Circle story at the begining of season 2, then the Maquis story, and then the Jem'Hedar come into play (which starts off as such a light episode, and picks up so fast).

"The Jem'Hedar" is probably the most fun episode from those seasons, because you don't know what's happening between the Jem'Hedar, the Vorta lady, or even where it's winding up... Really cool.

Once that happens, DS9 changes forever and really becomes a huge stage for great drama and modern commentary.

They even had an episode concerning gay issues (at least, I think it was). It could have been about any community that's kinda shut out I suppose, but I really saw a ton of paralels in "Chimera" during the last season, which just goes to show that everybody had something to gain from DS9.

Certainly enjoy the end of season 5 and the first 6 episodes of season 6. Incredible arch there.

Really, you're gonna have fun here...

I envy you seeing all of these for the first time.

346507[/snapback]

I echo everything you said, I've seen DS9 at least 6 times through and maybe more. It is by far the best of all Treks (in my opinion of course). As I've said many times and many places, "In the Pale Moonlight" was the best Trek episode ever made and has been named so in many internet polls. Just an awesome episode.

None of the episodes you named are in the first two seasons (by my list), so I'll have a ways to go.  Like I did with Voyager, I'll "review" episodes I feel like commenting on in that review/guide forum.  I actually need to review a lot of the Seventh Season VOY eps I didn't write about but intended to.

Good idea, post some favorite episodes. :rolleyes:

I absolutely hate the Ferengi.  Voyager only used them three times that I can recall, maybe a fourth time, and I was thankful.  Quark is pretty funny from what I remember.  I'm not really an O'Brien fan either as he didn't impress me much on TNG.  But I know his character develops beyond his TNG role as he has a wife and child now, so maybe that'll change.

Lookin forward to it. :rolleyes: Like I said, I didn't like it when it was on, but I have a feeling if I give it a chance and start watching it, it will hook me. icon3.gif

346518[/snapback]

From the first 2 seasons there were several good episodes to look for, "Past Prologue" which is the second episode of season 1 is an important episode because it is where we meet Garak and while the storyline is interesting Garaks role and learning about him is important in understanding the evolution of his character.

"Captive Pursuit" is one of my favorite Season 1 episodes and Tosk is a fun character. "Move Along Home" is another fun season 1 episode that I've always enjoyed. "If Wishes Were Horses" also is a fun episode. "The Storyteller" really starts to set the stage for one of the most fun friendships in any Star Trek, Bashir and O'Brien and this was a well written story.

I think the only season 1 episode that I didn't care for was "In the Hands of the Prophets" but that's because I really dislike Winn.

For season 2 the opening 3 episode arc was really good, though not one of my favorite arcs. "Rules of Acquisition" was a really fun Ferengi episode, I think after you see a few DS9 Ferengi episodes and after you get to know Quark, Rom and Nog your opinion on the Ferengi will completely change. They re-wrote the book on what the Ferengi are. They went from being evil creatures to being the most "humon" of any Trek race.

"Whispers" is a good episode that will keep you guessing all the way up to the end. "Shadowplay", "Blood Oath" and "The Wire" are all great episodes. "The Wire" especially. We really start to see the Bashir-Garak friendship take shape there.

"The Jem'Hadar" as the season 2 finale was really good and foreshadows things to come with the Dominion.

I could go on and on throughout all of the episodes but that might take of the fun out of discovering them yourself. As gul_nodrog said, I envy you and the journey you are embarking on. I wish I could watch DS9 for the first time all over again.

Well, I watched Emissary (1x01-02) and Past Prologue (1x03). I know I've seen a half-dozen scattered DS9 episodes I've seen when they were on TV, and Emissary must have been one of them, because I kept remembering scenes as I'd see them, though the Wolf 359 scenes were new to me. That has to be the most intense Trek battle in any episode I've seen, possibly even to include the movies. It didn't have the Ent-E smashing into an alien ship or the Ent-D (or Voyager) crash-landing, but there were a couple memorable shots in there.

I can already tell that DS9 is completely different. Sisko is a Commander and doesn't seem to me to be more. He's probably as competent a commander as Riker or Chakotay (given I've seen more of them) but he's nowhere near the leader Picard and Janeway are. Maybe it was the conflict between Sisko and Picard in the first episode, Sisko's chip on his shoulder about Picard/Locutus. With his own people, he seems good... how he's handled Kira, Odo, and Quark so far is promising.

The one I'm not really understanding now is Dax. Let me get this straight -- the Trill are giant parasitic slugs that are transferred from the back of one humanoid to another when the humanoid is about to die? And is Jadzia the name of the slug and Dax the woman? How does that work, the gender switching? No sexuality? And I can't imagine Starfleet having an officer controlled by a parasite... what's up with all this?

Well, like I said, it's a new kind of Trek. Like a tangent. For me, Trek is journeys aboard a starship, with warp travel, away missions, etc. DS9 is completely different in a lot of ways. I believe I'll come to appreciate the differences in format. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah. Where's Worf? I don't know where DS9 starts (in what TNG season) but I know after the events in the Generations film, Worf takes an assignment on DS9, and comes back to the Enterprise (temporarily, as they save him from the Borg) in First Contact.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Maquis... I had completely forgotten that they started in DS9. All I know is a good chunk of the Voyager crew started out Maquis and they're not fond of the Cardassians (esp. Torres). Personally I don't blame them in that regard... something about the Cardassians make the Klingons look tame, even though I'm pretty sure many Klingons could take the best Cardassians hand-to-hand.

4 times? 6 times? I'm not sure I could watch Voyager all the way through again. Not for a LONG time. Seeing that all the way through was an adventure in itself. Maybe when I have kids, I can watch it with them. I was going to watch TNG chronologically next, but I think I've seen every TNG episode on TV at some point or another, some twice. I would be tempted to skip so many. But it was more tempting to go with DS9 instead.

After watching "A Man Alone" (1x04) I'm liking the series a bit more.

I had it backwards on Dax; Dax is the hundreds-of-years-old parasitic life form, and Jadzia is the woman. I have to admit her character is interesting.

Not only is Worf not around, they don't have the Runabout (yet). I guess that'll happen in a later season. Like how Voyager tried to keep things new by trading Kes for Seven of Nine, and on a lesser scale, introduced the Delta Flyer.

Worf doesn't show up until the fourth season...the Enterprise has just been destroyed in the movie "Generations" and Sisko requests Worf be assigned to DS9 to help him deal with the Klingons. Way of the Warrior is a two-parter featuring Worf joining the cast and some big doings with the Klingon Empire and Gowron.

What was cool about them adding Worf to the ensemble is that they didn't get rid of another cast member to do it. He just joins in and it really is amazing how quickly he becomes part of the DS9 cast.

They had runabouts from the beginning, I believe. If you are talking about the Defiant it shows up around the same time that Worf does. Maybe in the same episode. I've seen these so much, I forget sometimes!

Yes, Defiant! That's what I meant, but I see I actually typed Runabout.

Just watched 1x05 "Babel"... pretty good. Oh, I guess I can do the count-up with my sig. :rolleyes:

Defiant is Worf's ship in "First Contact"; is it his in DS9 or is it, like the Runabout(s), commanded by whoever happens to be using it?

:rolleyes:

The Defiant showed up in the first episode of season 3. Worf didn't come on board until season 4.

Up until Worf showed up, if Sisko wasn't running the Defiant, Kira was. Then after Worf showed up being the second ranking Starfleet officer on DS9 he became the dude in charge of the Defiant unless Sisko was on board ... at least that is how it appears and that is my understanding.

Now Worf has a special relationship with the Defiant which is kind of funny and happens shortly after his arrival ... I won't tell you what it is, 'cuz I'm not sure how much spoiling you want out of us.

I really enjoyed the episode "Babel" and you're coming up on one of the best ones of the early seasons "Captive Pursuit." Later on in the first season I liked "Dramatis Personae" and "Duet."

Edited by gul_nodrog

I can already tell that DS9 is completely different.  Sisko is a Commander and doesn't seem to me to be more.  He's probably as competent a commander as Riker or Chakotay (given I've seen more of them) but he's nowhere near the leader Picard and Janeway are.  Maybe it was the conflict between Sisko and Picard in the first episode, Sisko's chip on his shoulder about Picard/Locutus.  With his own people, he seems good... how he's handled Kira, Odo, and Quark so far is promising.

By the end of the series, in my opinion Sisko is the best of any of the Captains. That opinion was cemented in my mind in the episode I keep talking about which is in season 6 "In the Pale Moonlight".

They start him off with a chip on his shoulder in the first episode but he transforms into a real leader throughout the course of the series.

Well, like I said, it's a new kind of Trek.  Like a tangent.  For me, Trek is journeys aboard a starship, with warp travel, away missions, etc.  DS9 is completely different in a lot of ways.  I believe I'll come to appreciate the differences in format. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is different in many ways. It's those differences though that make it so much more interesting (to me). Like it says in one of the special feature DVD's, on TNG, TOS or Voyager they can fly into a situation do whatever they do and fly off to a new adventure. On DS9 they have to stay and deal with the consequences of their decisions. Something they do this week will still be there next week and next month. If Sisko makes a bad decision he can't just fly off to a new adventure, he must stay there and deal with what's happening.

Take the Mirror Universe as an example in TOS. What if Kirk had to stay in the Mirror Universe and deal with the changes he made by influencing the Mirror Spock? What kind of problems did he create by doing what he did? Were there consequences or did all turn out "ok"? I use that as an example because you will find out in season 2 what the answers are in "Mirror, Mirror".

There will be "Ship" episodes along the way though, it's just that when the adventure is done they go home to DS9 as opposed to flying off to a new adventure. This way the "new adventure" comes to them.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Maquis... I had completely forgotten that they started in DS9.  All I know is a good chunk of the Voyager crew started out Maquis and they're not fond of the Cardassians (esp. Torres).  Personally I don't blame them in that regard... something about the Cardassians make the Klingons look tame, even though I'm pretty sure many Klingons could take the best Cardassians hand-to-hand.

The Maquis was a good 2 parter, you'll enjoy it.

4 times?  6 times?  I'm not sure I could watch Voyager all the way through again.  Not for a LONG time.  Seeing that all the way through was an adventure in itself.  Maybe when I have kids, I can watch it with them.  I was going to watch TNG chronologically next, but I think I've seen every TNG episode on TV at some point or another, some twice.  I would be tempted to skip so many.  But it was more tempting to go with DS9 instead.

346695[/snapback]

I'm just estimating when I say I saw it 6 times, that number may actually be low. I had every episode on CD before the DVD's came out and I used to watch 3 or 4 episodes every night. That went on for several years.... Yes, I'm a DS9 nut. LOL

I really enjoyed the episode "Babel" and you're coming up on one of the best ones of the early seasons "Captive Pursuit."  Later on in the first season I liked "Dramatis Personae" and "Duet."

346932[/snapback]

I second that, Captive Pursuit was a great episode. Duet was also, in fact a strong case could be made for it being one of the best of the season.

After watching "A Man Alone" (1x04) I'm liking the series a bit more.

346854[/snapback]

Did you happen to get a close look at Ibudan's destination list? Star Wars fans will know :wink2:

I had it backwards on Dax; Dax is the hundreds-of-years-old parasitic life form, and Jadzia is the woman.  I have to admit her character is interesting.

346854[/snapback]

You have no idea :rolleyes:

Sorry ST... I can't bring myself to be attracted to a female character who used to be a guy. The actress is pretty, though. :rolleyes:

I missed the Star Wars reference on the duty roster. I'll have to go back and look at that. I remember trying to read the other entries (I always try to read stuff on the screen) but missed a few and didn't pause.

@VBG -- That's an interesting idea, never thought of that. There have been SO many Voyager episodes where I wish I could have seen what happens "next" with the ships or worlds they leave behind. So it's interesting that DS9 is parked next to that wormhole, as it can watch Bajor, and all the traffic to and from the Gamma Quadrant. So I imagine they'll have no short supply of things to happen, but like you say, they have to stick around for the consequences.

I'll have to have a look out for "In the Pale Moonlight". My two favorites are "The Inner Light" from TNG and "Blink of an Eye" from Voyager. Usually the ones people talk about a lot are pretty good. Speaking of which, I just finished Captive Pursuit, and it was really good. Especially the exchange between Sisko and O'Brien at the end.

I don't know anything about the mirror universe in TOS. I've seen most of the TNG episodes (when I was younger, when it was on TV) and all of Voyager, and I'm not sure it was mentioned.

No... no spoilers please. :o Though recommendations for good episodes are welcome, something to look forward to. Going down the list I tend to spot Q episodes and 2-parters and mark them as 'milestones'... not to mention season finales and starters. Figure the first of the first and last of the seventh are going to be special.

Off to watch "Q-Less". :)

I'll have to have a look out for "In the Pale Moonlight".  My two favorites are "The Inner Light" from TNG and "Blink of an Eye" from Voyager.  Usually the ones people talk about a lot are pretty good.  Speaking of which, I just finished Captive Pursuit, and it was really good.  Especially the exchange between Sisko and O'Brien at the end.

I don't know anything about the mirror universe in TOS.  I've seen most of the TNG episodes (when I was younger, when it was on TV) and all of Voyager, and I'm not sure it was mentioned.

347083[/snapback]

"Inner Light" and "Blink of an Eye" were both really (Really) good episodes. 2 of my favorites from those series in fact but there's no comparison it "In The Pale Moonlight" from a storyline stand point. You'll see what I mean when you get to the middle of season 6.

Since you don't know anything about "Mirror, Mirror" from TOS I would strongly reccomend that you get that episode if it's at all possible and watch it before you watch DS9 season 2's episode "Crossover". You'll need "Mirror, Mirror" for the "back story" of what the Mirror universe is. There's 3 or 4 more Mirror Universe episodes throughout the 7 seasons of DS9 so watching the very first Mirror Universe episode will be worth your time.

I don't believe the Mirror Universe was mentioned in TNG or Voyager at all, though it was used in Enterprise recently.

Please keep us updated on your Episode progress and thoughts on each one that you wish to comment on. I enjoy getting fresh opinions from TNGers and Voyagers when they watch DS9 for the very first time. In many cases after they watch all of DS9 they bump DS9 up to the top of their "Favorites" list.

Sorry ST... I can't bring myself to be attracted to a female character who used to be a guy. The actress is pretty, though.

The actress is gorgeous! And I believe she has been as many women as she has been men :wink2:

I missed the Star Wars reference on the duty roster. I'll have to go back and look at that. I remember trying to read the other entries (I always try to read stuff on the screen) but missed a few and didn't pause.

Just in case:

Click For Spoiler
Alderaan.jpg

"You hit me!  Picard never hit me!"

347085[/snapback]

"I'm not Picard." :rolleyes:

Q's awesome, even when he's annoying.

Since you don't know anything about "Mirror, Mirror" from TOS I would strongly reccomend that you get that episode if it's at all possible and watch it before you watch DS9 season 2's episode "Crossover". You'll need "Mirror, Mirror" for the "back story" of what the Mirror universe is. There's 3 or 4 more Mirror Universe episodes throughout the 7 seasons of DS9 so watching the very first Mirror Universe episode will be worth your time.

I don't believe the Mirror Universe was mentioned in TNG or Voyager at all, though it was used in Enterprise recently.

Please keep us updated on your Episode progress and thoughts on each one that you wish to comment on. I enjoy getting fresh opinions from TNGers and Voyagers when they watch DS9 for the very first time. In many cases after they watch all of DS9 they bump DS9 up to the top of their "Favorites" list.

347289[/snapback]

Trying to get TOS 2x04 Mirror, Mirror now. It will probably be done before I get to DS9's Season 2. :)

And, will do. I'm starting to like DS9 a bit more. Just watched 3 earlier today, probably watch another 2-4 tomorrow morning.

Sorry ST... I can't bring myself to be attracted to a female character who used to be a guy. The actress is pretty, though.

The actress is gorgeous! And I believe she has been as many women as she has been men :wink2:

Just in case:

Click For Spoiler
Alderaan.jpg

347316[/snapback]

After seeing the Season 1 episode "Dax" I'm more inclined to agree, now I know a bit more about how Trills work.

Click For Spoiler
But Alderaan was destroyed in "A New Hope"... :o
Edited by Dark Reality

Well, maybe Leia named another planet Alderaan, or Star Wars is somehow the future galaxy far far- oh no, I've gone cross-eyed!

Wow, you guys sure weren't kidding about 1x19 "Duet". Halfway in I figured it would be one of the better episodes, but the last minute or two really "made" that episode. :D

So far, so good. Before, when I said I didn't like DS9, one thing I didn't like was I couldn't find any characters I really liked. At the time. I guess I had only seen a few, spread apart. It's a lot different watching them in order, following the Bajoran/Cardassian politics, and I know there's more to come. I know the name Dominion, but I'm not sure I've actually seen them. I can't wait for that to develop, because now that I'm getting into it, I know there's a lot more to the story ahead.

Yeah, Duet was good. And you can be sure that the story will get ALOT more interesting. Especially past season 4. I'm just beginning season 6 and I'm upto about 3 episodes a day.

The last couple days I watched 4 episodes in a day. Kinda scary.

What's up with Season 1 only having 20 episodes as opposed to 26? (Not that I mind getting into Season 2 a few days early.)

The last couple days I watched 4 episodes in a day.  Kinda scary.

What's up with Season 1 only having 20 episodes as opposed to 26?  (Not that I mind getting into Season 2 a few days early.)

347942[/snapback]

Season 1 started in January instead if September like TOS, TNG or Enterprise so that's why there's a few less episodes.

You're a couple seasons away from really getting to see the Dominion, just keep that name Weyoun in mind. You're coming up to the one episode that I consider to be my least favorite, "In the Hands of the Prophets".

I sense the making of a new Niner here... lol

Yep... like I said, the first season alone of DS9 has taught me that my complaints with the series were completely unfounded. When I made them from the beginning, I tried to tread lightly, in case this would happen. :heart:

Weyoun, huh? I just met Winn, the crazy Bajoran extremist. (?)

Actually I just watched that episode, and I thought it was OK. Being an atheist, the issue of religion in school is kind of a personal issue for me, but I think I have a fairly unique perspective on it. So as not to introduce a political debate here, I'll limit it to DS9, but it applies exactly the same in America. I think Keiko could have taught her class without offending most of the Bajorans. If I were in her place, I would have taught the class both what the Federation/Bajoran scientists know about the properties of the wormhole, while at the same time offer the religious perspective. Winn and her people were totally crazy wanting to shove religious theory down everyone's throat, and it sickens me that they prey on the innocent and naive children who don't know better, which is pretty much what they're doing. Now, unlike in real life, Sisko has seen the Prophets, beein in their presence, so we know there's some truth to their religion. It's not so cut and dry with real-life religion. Anyway, I think a line can be walked... teaching kids what we know, explaining what we don't know, and offering them a few popular theories and exposing them to a few not-so-popular theories, so we let them decide for themselves, seek out their own answers. So I believe religion has a welcome place in schools, but as a choice, not presented as fact. Only facts should be presented as fact, whether it supports Science or some god.

Oh, I already like DS9 a lot. I wouldn't say it's a favorite. Even if I like it more than Voyager, I can't see it eclipsing TNG. That's what I grew up on, that's the whole basis of what Star Trek from my perspective. I've just watched the whole run of Voyager straight through, and I've only seen the TNG episodes on TV, here and there... I've seen most for sure, but there are probably some I haven't seen. Yet I feel I know the TNG crew a lot better than Voyager's. I may prefer characters from Voyager to TNG characters, but I still respect TNG as the originals. (I realize TOS came first, but I've only seen a couple episodes, not really interested in it.) But watching DS9 all the way through seemed better than TNG, since I had seen all the episodes. I'll get to TNG eventually, but I wanted to give DS9 another chance. Who knows, maybe someday I'll get to Enterprise.

Before I get started with the second season, I'll watch TOS 2x04 Mirror, MIrror; it was mentioned earlier in this topic as having to do with future DS9 episodes. :D It'll make a nice intermission.

Edited by Dark Reality

Oh, I already like DS9 a lot.  I wouldn't say it's a favorite.  Even if I like it more than Voyager, I can't see it eclipsing TNG.

347957[/snapback]

Lets see what you say after you get to the 6th or 7th season lol. I'd have probably said the same thing back when DS9 started but it quickly became my overall favorite.

Before I get started with the second season, I'll watch TOS 2x04 Mirror, MIrror; it was mentioned earlier in this topic as having to do with future DS9 episodes. :D It'll make a nice intermission.

347957[/snapback]

Yeah, you'll get to "Crossover" near the end of the 2nd season and that's the one that deals with the Mirror Universe.