Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

After Death

Which of the following options best represents your wishes for remains disposal?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following options best represents your wishes for remains disposal?

• I want to be buried whole and placed in the ground
    • I want to be buried whole and placed in a crypt
    • I want to be cremated and spread on the ground
    • I want to be cremated and spread on the water
    • I want to be creamated and kept in a jar
    • I want to be cremated and some small bit put into orbit
    • I want to be cryogenically frozen
    • I want to be mummified
    • Other

Put a Bone up my butt and let the Dogs drag me away, it doesnt matter what happens to my body after death, maybe donate it to science or something, it will actually depend on my wife when I get married

I wish to be cremated.

If it makes my family feel better, the erect a grave stone for me and spread a small amount of my ashes there. But I want the rest of my ashes spread in a waterfall. From that point on, a waterfall will represent me to my family, and my ashes will go around the world, so I will always be with them in body and spirit.

i want to buried in a Jewish cemetery. it is traditional to be buried in a cemetery, and to be cremated is not allowed. oh well, i actually doubt i'll ever die. haha.

I wish for all organs andy part of me that can be donated to medical science for the help of sick people to be used and removed. I then wish to be buried either with my mother of my beloved (who ever I marry or am involved with if they are already dead)

If it makes my family feel better, the erect a grave stone for me and spread a small amount of my ashes there.  But I want the rest of my ashes spread in a waterfall.  From that point on, a waterfall will represent me to my family, and my ashes will go around the world, so I will always be with them in body and spirit.

314984[/snapback]

I like the way you put that Madame Butterfly.

My vote was cremated and spread on the ground... preferably in a garden area or a forest. Both are places where I would be happy to visit while I am living, and I have always loved gardens. Though it would be equally as good to know that a portion of my remains could be placed in space... as I have wanted to be a part of the Space Program since I was very little. And have enjoyed, even as just a hobby, astronomy since I was about 3.

The cremated and spread over the water is what we did for my grandfather on my dad's side as he was a shipbuilder when he was younger (Viking boats as well as regular boats). So it seemed very appropriate. My grandparents on my mom's side are buried side by side at a cemetary not too far from my home. Matter of fact their gravesite faces the road and I can see their headstone as I pass by going from work to school. I still will visit their site from time to time. But I still feel like cremation is a better resting place for me. Maybe over time my view will change, and if I ever get married this would be something discussed with my future husband..

I will admit :wow: , I have always had issues with gravesites... not a fear per se, but I have a big problem with people standing or walking, or driving lawnmowers over people's resting spots. I will not yell at people for doing so, because I know that they may not share the same views as me... but I have always thought it was kind of a sign of disrespect for the remains that lie beneath to walk on them. It makes me cringe everytime I see it happen. Whether I was 3, or closing in on 25 years old, I have always felt this. This may be part of why I feel cremation is a better thing.

I've left instructions for my body to be stuffed and put on display in my son's living room. I also want sensors put in my eyes so that when someone enters the room, my eyes will follow him wherever he goes.

I will admit :wow: , I have always had issues with gravesites... not a fear per se, but I have a big problem with people standing or walking, or driving lawnmowers over people's resting spots. I will not yell at people for doing so, because I know that they may not share the same views as me... but I have always thought it was kind of a sign of disrespect for the remains that lie beneath to walk on them. It makes me cringe everytime I see it happen. Whether I was 3, or closing in on 25 years old, I have always felt this. This may be part of why I feel cremation is a better thing.

314995[/snapback]

I understand that completely, when my cousin came over from Ireland last week, he found that because there is no marker denoting my mothers grave (my grandmother, grandfather and great-Uncle are also there) people were loitering on their grave, it distraught him enough to want to do something. We have put into action a plan to mark out the grave site with a small fence and put in glass gravel so this won't happen (it would be in keeping with other graves in the site.) I am glad my mother is buried somewhere. I feel I have a special place to visit my mum and sit.

At the end I think you should always think of what the people around you would want. Mainly because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what you want. You are dead and are hopefully getting on with an afterlife. When it came to what was to be done with my mother ashes I couldn't bring myslef to spread then anywhere, I felt like I was throwing her away. It was an awful feeling, it brings tears to me to remember the feeling

Easy: cremation, simple pine box, no frills, no need for embalment or anything either (unless there is a law or something). A memorial can be held afterwards, but nothing extravagant there either. It can be held whenever, but no casket or viewing, just a memorial.

Total cost: $500 maximum, I hope.

LMAO @ & dragonwrangler95 & Kor37. Wish I had thought of the stuffed option. :wow:

Very nice Madame Butterfly & Yillara_Soong but be sure to check local laws on the spreading of ashes, believe it or not those actions are illegal in some areas. We had to sneak out under cover of darkness to fulfill a deceased friend wishes.

I did not know that about Jewish customs ChiFire. Graveyards are cool at night imo but around here you cannot "legally" be inside after dark.

I too am a donor Unadopted Angelic, I just hope something useful is left for them to remove.

After that I want to be cremated and put kept in a jar. Martha is strangely attracted to dead things; I can see her taking me down and playing in my ashes added them to crafts and the like, she would probably also even put small amounts of me in her diet. :wow: jk of course.

Edited by Alterego

I think there are reasons (health regulations) why some places prohibit spreading ashes. I'd hate to think everywhere I go I'd be coming in contact with the ash remains of people (even if it's only psychological).

As for myself I will be buried (if my relatives honor my wishes)

Very nice Madame Butterfly & Yillara_Soong but be sure to check local laws on the spreading of ashes, believe it or not those actions are illegal in some areas. We had to sneak out under cover of darkness to fulfill a deceased friend wishes

For my Auntie, she'd always wanted to go to Hawaii, but her illness prohibited it at the end.

So my cousins went to Hawaii with her ashes.

When they saw an area that would be perfect for their mother, well a Park Ranger told them it was against the rules.

So they came back 3 days later and did it with no one else's knowledge.

I'm not saying what they did was right, but in their mind they had brought their mother to the paradise she had so wanted to be a part. And now, Hawaii and waterfalls, and a certain flower always make them think of Mom and their special relationship.

What I'm trying to say, is in death, family often goes against "rules" to make sure their loved ones last wishes are honored.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

if I HAVE to be buried on dry land (Shivers at thought) I'd prefere it to be in Arlington, or at another National Cemetary. but, I would prefere to be buried at sea.

if I HAVE to be buried on dry land (Shivers at thought) I'd prefere it to be in Arlington, or at another National Cemetary. but,  I would prefere to be buried at sea.

315061[/snapback]

Another great option I forgot about while making the poll. :wow:

I suppose being ripped apart quickly by sharks is just as good as being slowly devoured by bugs...

I'll get buired in a black coffin, since I've always liked coffins, part of my vampire fetish, I guess. :wow:

God willing, my girl and I will grow old an die together. What I'd like is for whichever one of us dies first to be preserved until the other of us dies. Then, together, I'd like for us to be placed on a floating funeral pyre, set ablaze, and launched into the ocean toward the sunset.

I guess that would be 'cremated and spread on the water,' but I clicked 'other.'

Edited by wishfire

God willing, my girl and I will grow old an die together. What I'd like is for whichever one of us dies first to be preserved until the other of us dies. Then, together, I'd like for us to be placed on a floating funeral pyre, set ablaze, and launched into the ocean toward the sunset.

I guess that would be 'cremated and spread on the water,' but I clicked 'other.'

315169[/snapback]

Ah similar to the old Viking burials.. cool( I know that is odd when talking about death rituals, but it is still interesting to know someone would chose this type of funeral)

I know she could easily come here and post this herself, but she has not been online much at any of three boards she belongs to... but knowing my sister, Emil would probably pick the mummification one. This is because she is a huge fan of anything ancient Egyptian. And at one point was planning on becoming an Egyptologist.

But then she also has a respect for the Jazz Funerals done in New Orleans, and knows some of the band members who perform those(I personally cannot recall the name of the band until I see them, sadly). She was there in her Senior year of high school performing in two of the Mardi Gras parades(as part of the HS's marching band)

I prefer the plain ol' funeral and burial at a gravesite. I'm not exactly sure why, other than the fact that when I was really young, my family would take me to the gravesites of relatives and it never bothered me. I actually kindof like grave yards (not in a morbid way, though). I just like all of the history that is contained there and having a single spot to go to pay my respects. That reminds me... I want to visit my friend's site soon.

The cryogenic option sounds interesting too...

I made sure my family knows that I want any and all usable parts donated, have the rest cremated, and the ashes scattered in some nice wilderness area - preferably in Northern California where my family is from (Southern California would be OK too), or Nevada where my brother lives. I also said "just don't get caught", because the scattering I want would probably be illegal. :P

I prefer the plain ol' funeral and burial at a gravesite. I'm not exactly sure why, other than the fact that when I was really young, my family would take me to the gravesites of relatives and it never bothered me. I actually kindof like grave yards (not in a morbid way, though). I just like all of the history that is contained there and having a single spot to go to pay my respects. That reminds me... I want to visit my friend's site soon.

The cryogenic option sounds interesting too...

315198[/snapback]

I too am fascinated by graveyards. The history there is astounding, and very sobering.

I am into uncovering my family roots, and due to this I think that graveyards are invaluable. My parents had their children's names listed on the back of their head stone at my request. Makes the research a tad easier when it's there in stone.

This being said, I still want to be cremated, as I stated earlier.

I picked 'other' because I already know that my preference is not what will occur, for practical reasons.

My mother and father purchased 'space for four' in a crypt. My father's remains are there now. My mother will go there in the future, as will myself and my youngest brother.

Clearly my parents expected that my youngest brother would never marry, and that I would never marry.

My preference would have been to go into a casket, and into the ground.

However, since my parents have already made a place for me in their crypt, and I want my surviving relatives to have as much of my life insurance, and other worldly goods as possible, I will stick to this plan, and not insist on them buying a separate burial plot for me. It's just not that important to me.

There's an option missing AE...

I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread into space just like Gene Roddenberry did..

Yeah, I do know that's pretty much impossible but that is what I want..I'm sure I'll be buried in the ground as is the norm for my family..

I selected "other", as I wish to donate my organs to science. After that, I want to be buried next to my son Joel. I may choose cremation, as I believe it is cheaper than the traditional way. Though, I am not certain of that. I've found it helpful to view the body, as a way of saying goodbye and letting go.

There's an option missing AE...

I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread into space just like Gene Roddenberry did..

315540[/snapback]

Actually you said that almost exactly the same way I originally had the option: "I want to be cremated and some small bit put into orbit" worded but I changed it because I feared it would become the popular vote with Genes name in it. :P

jaz4debo I'm pretty sure creamation is the cheapest way to go...

Edited by Alterego

I want to be cremated on a funeral pyre.

Then a huge statue of me shall be created. Standing on a gigantic pedestal which shall contain a temple. The statue will be lit by giant spotlights at night, so powerful, they can be seen from space.

Around the statue shall be a huge national park. Beautiful landscapes, rivers, lakes, steams, waterfalls, and forests with immense trees. My ashes shall be spread in this park. The centrepiece of this national park shall stand a mountain.

In this national park shall lie the Royal Estates. In it shall be a huge royal castle.

Around the national park, a huge city-state shall be created. A kingdom like no other. The greatest city in the entire world. Designed by me, before I die.

A fitting tribute to His Royal Highness The King.