Sign in to follow this  
trekz

What's your favorite national park/heritage site?

I was wondering what is your favorite National park or World heritage site and why? My favorites are:

In the USA it is a tie between Yellowstone/Grand Teton National Parks and the Grand Canyon. They are so amazing with geysers in Yellowstone , mountains and wildlife in the Tetons, and the amazing rock formations and layers in the Canyon. In Canada it would be Banff National Park for the scenery and animals and Yoho Nat'l Park (which contains the Burgess Shale formations) the beauty , glacier and the Falls.. In Ireland it would be Newgrange which is a passage tomb which is older than the pyramids and is one of the most spiritual places I've ever been. In England it would be Stonehenge and Avebury with the standing stones which are also amazing and spiritual.

What are YOUR favorites and why?

Tombstone,Arizona - A place that epitomizes both the best and the worst of the westward expansion of the United States

Having traveled extensively in the North America, I'd have to say the there are many beautiful spots here/

Some of these trips were long ago but the memories around them are strong.

Victoria Island, Canada:

We went way down a logging road and came across a very primative camp site. It was on the edge of the ocean, which was protected by wild thick trees. In the morning the "guide" took us along the beach and told us of the many shipwrecks that were off the island, but the density of the trees kept survivors from journeying inland. They also showed us the extensive sealife found at low tide. I have many good memories of foggy mornings along that beach.

Grand Teton Nation Park:

Simply my favorite place in America.

Beautiful, clean, breathtaking.

The best part of that trip was horseback riding all day, and after sunset, we came to a camp where a roaring fire was waiting, the steaks grilling over it, and a wonderful evening was had by everyone.

The family did go to Yosemite long ago, and the best family vacation ever had was a week long white water rafting trip just about a 45 minute drive away. We explored caves, sat in natural hot spring waters, did some spectacular and many unspectacular dives into the river and basically had an adventure of a life time together. Sadly, the state of California damned that river. :(

There are many fabulous places to visit in North America, but I think these are my favorites because of the memories associated with them. :nono:

Edited by Madame Butterfly

The National Mall (in the US) is a national park and I always had a fondness for sitting on the steps of the Lincoln memorial at night and looking out over the reflecting pond, other mall sites include the cherry trees in bloom, the Vietnam memorial. Why do I like these particular spots? I don't know - I just know how I felt when I was there - a sense of history - a sense of wonder. Another spot is Gettysburg - it is the impressive sadness that touches you there - an awareness of how foolish men can be and how tragic and real the sorrow that comes from their conflicts.

As for the parks that present the wonders of nature: I've been fortunate enough to see several - some I can't remember if they were state parks or national parks. I've been to Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite,the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains, I've been in caves and caverns and seen the Sequoias (but not the redwoods). But for reasons I can't explain, a beach in the early dawn appeals to me more than mountains :nono:

I'm just happy going to a local park, I don't need to go to a historic place. If I went to one, however, I would be happy to go to either the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. I've been to the Grand Canyon of PA, was pretty cool to hike there. I don't have any hiking boots though, I just have combat boots. :nono:

The National Mall (in the US) is a national park and I always had a fondness for sitting on the steps of the Lincoln memorial at night and looking out over the reflecting pond, other mall sites include the cherry trees in bloom, the Vietnam memorial. 

Oh the National Mall is lovely, I always seem to be in DC when the cherry blossoms are in bloom. It's very beautiful. But I'm more of an outdoors person than a city person. Though I do love DC, there is so much to do and see and learn.

Of what I've seen, so far, in the USA, I would consider the Carslbad Caverns of New Mexico as a favorite. Another is Mt. Evans, in Colorado. The Badlands in South Dakota, as well as Mt. Rushmore. The Gateway Arch in St. Louis. In my home state of Minnesota, its the Boundary Waters Canoe Area - BWCA. In Canada, it would be Quetico Provincial Park, Ontario - via canoe. Mexico, it was the pyramids near Mexico City. The Colliseum in Rome, as well as St. Peter's Basilica, Sistene Chapel ~~ this has a fresco by Michaelango that is on four walls, as well as the ceiling! ~~ to name a few in Italy that I saw. There are many in the USA that I want to see, such as Gettysburg, the Air and Space Museum in DC, the Grand Canyon, too. Viewing a shuttle launch at Cape Canaveral would be great!. :nono:

Edited by jaz4debo

Gettysburg national Military Park, I love History

313507[/snapback]

I love history and Gettysburg is awesone. There is the sadness mentioned in above posts and the stuborness of the combatants there and the willingness to lay down their lives for their country. The tactics and ebb and flow of the battle are also quite impressive as are the many monuments there.

The National Mall is indeed impressive and the Lincoln, Korean War and Vietnam Wall memorials are among my favorites. Across the river is Arlington National Cemetery another moving, emotional place to visit.

Edited by trekz

I thouoght of a couple more parks in Newfoundland Canada worth mentioning. Gros Morne was impressive with its coastal areas, uplifted geology and lake that was a cut off fjord. Had a great trip at Tera Nova where we saw eagles diving for fish and saw jellyfish. Lanse Aux Meadows was impressive with the remains of a Viking settlement, a rebuilt replica in the park, and a reenactment nearly that was loads of fun.

313507[/snapback]

Haven't been there, but I would like to.. <response continues...>

313507[/snapback]

I love history and Gettysburg is awesone. There is the sadness mentioned in above posts and the stuborness of the combatants there and the willingness to lay down their lives for their country. The tactics and ebb and flow of the battle are also quite impressive as are the many monuments there.

The National Mall is indeed impressive and the Lincoln, Korean War and Vietnam Wall memorials are among my favorites. Across the river is Arlington National Cemetery another moving, emotional place to visit.

313541[/snapback]

Been both places...this week. Ah, there is a song on Trace Adkins' new CD <"Songs About Me"> called "Arlington", it's a cool song, made me want to cry.

by far, though, my favorites are the various parks associated with the Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park. for those who haven't been to these parks, it's 4 battlefields in and around Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania, VA: Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Chancellorsville, and The Wilderness. <Chancellorsville has a monument marking the place where Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson was mortally wounded in May, 1863>

The Things that Bothers me about DC and The Mall is, one block is really nice the next block is the Ghetto, I have a Friend who works at the White House and says he would never live in the City he lives in Dale City VA, also a National Park shouldnt be filled with Homeless people asking for Change, I would rather give them an application to McDonalds so they can be Productive instead of spending it on boos, McDonalds will Hire any slapnut (sry to any McDonalds Employees but deep down its true)

Nice pictures, Alterego! Yellowstone is a great park, with lots of animals and unique scenery and lots of opportunity for hiking.

But what about the rest of you? What are your favorites and why?

The National Mall in Washington, DC, especially the Lincoln Memorial.

I love flying into Washington-Reagan National airport, and seeing the Washington monument, the Capitol, and other national buildings.

I love it when I used to get to fly over the Pentagon, and I think we did again the last time I was in DC.

I also like the National Civil Rights Memorial in Montgomery, Alabama. It is like the Vietnam memorial, something to make you think, but is very beautiful.

You are definately right, MJ, and the Pentagon is as cool inside as it is outside, but I'm going to agree with Gary and say Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park.

I don't really have a favorite National Park, in fact I don't know if I've ever even been to a National Park. But if I were to pick my favorite place to visit it eoulf have to be the National Mall in Washington, D.C. I've been there so many times in my life but I am yet to see it all.

There is just so much there that it would take days to devote enough time to take it all in. From the White House to the Capitol building to the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to the National Archives and the Air & Space Mesuem and everything in between and then some.

I just wish my knees could take a couple days worth of walking.

VBG, last time I was in Washington, back in January, I walked from the Capitol to the White House, and it was a LONG walk. that was, of course, the same day I spent three hours in the Air and Space Museum, and also saw the Vietnam, Korea, and Lincoln Memorials. I had trouble walking the next day.

Edit: That was also the day I went to Arlington National Cemetary.

Edited by Jim Phaserman