Sign in to follow this  
Jaz4stfguy

The Stanley Cup 2004-2005?

What do you think should be done with the Stanley Cup, with no apparent championship this year?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done with the Stanley Cup, with no apparent championship this year?

• 1. Do nothing, and leave it with Tampa Bay
    • 2. Display it at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth, MN
    • 3. Lock it away in a vault
    • 4. Put it on a tour of selected venues (sports arenas, shopping malls, etc.)
    • 5. A tour of selected elementary, high school, and/or college campuses
    • 6. None of the above
    • 7. Who cares?

Well, folks, it appears that, other than an act of God, there will be no NHL hockey this year. Which brings up an interesting question: what to do with the Lord Stanley Cup? I posted a few ideas. What do you think? :assimilated:

Why won't there be any NHL this year?

What's happened?

287652[/snapback]

Hey there King! It isn't official, but the buzz is that there will not be NHL hockey this year unless something "miraculous" happens within the next two weeks. I have more info in my thread Hockey anyone? :assimilated:

I have reposted it here:

Thanks, Odie! I believe that your assessment of the current NHL season is correct. According to Lets' Play Hockey newspaper, dated 12/2/04, "that unless there is a miraculous turnaround in the posture of the NHL Players Association (NHLPA) in the next two weeks, the NHL will officially cancel the season." So says the columnist, Wally Shaver. He goes on in the article to say "that there would be a day of reckoning in the NHL because player costs were escalating to the point where the league would eventually be in a calamitous financial situation. Welcome to the day of reckoning."

Mr. Shaver brings up the term "cost certainty." The way he explains it "is what this whole mess [lockout] is all about." I don't quite understand it, but a lot of the teams have loans based on an out-dated franchise value. And that the NHL is "bleeding buckets of money." He believes if this cost certainty isn't in the new labor agreement, that at least a dozen teams will fold.

Edited by jaz4debo

It should be lock in a vault. No team this year should see the Lord Stanley's Cup after they had caused the lock out. :assimilated:

Hello Jaz.

Ahhh, I see, it's a salary/union dispute of some sort?

That kind of thing is amazing. If someone said that the Premiership football league would be cancelled next year over here, people would go nuts.

:assimilated:

Edited by The King

The Cup itself is safely on view at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. All of the NHL's trophies are displayed at the Hall except when on tour. Members of the Cup winning team only get the Cup for the summer - enough time for each member to take it to their hometown and show off basically. lol

The record books will mostly likely have an astericks against the 2004-2005 season saying there was no winner if the season doesn't happen.

The NHLPA negotiators will be meeting with the NHL negotiators on Thursday with a new proposal. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hello Jaz.

Ahhh, I see, it's a salary/union dispute of some sort?

That kind of thing is amazing. If someone said that the Premiership football league would be cancelled next year over here, people would go nuts.

:)

287658[/snapback]

:assimilated: Yep, when the Minnesota Gophers won the NCAA championship, the rioting in "dinkytown( the neighboring area to the UofM)" was horribly disgusting. If Gopher hockey were somehow cancelled... well, lets not go there :( :)

The Cup itself is safely on view at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. All of the NHL's trophies are displayed at the Hall except when on tour. Members of the Cup winning team only get the Cup for the summer - enough time for each member to take it to their hometown and show off basically. lol

The record books will mostly likely have an astericks against the 2004-2005 season saying there was no winner if the season doesn't happen.

The NHLPA negotiators will be meeting with the NHL negotiators on Thursday with a new proposal. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed.

287661[/snapback]

Yeah, just leave it The Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. The season is almost certainly lost at this point. Anyone who has read my other post knows I'm not confident in seeing NHL hockey this year (or even next year).