Sign in to follow this  
Jaz4stfguy

Shuttle Discovery first to return to space

Woo hoo! It's been revealed at space.com that the space shuttle Discovery is to be the first to return to space since the tragedy of the shuttle Columbia. That is very good news. Here is a quote:

Slated to launch in spring 2005, Discovery flight is set to be the first mission to fly since NASA grounded its shuttle fleet after the loss of Columbia in 2003.

:naughty::flex::drool:

This is a photo of the new solid rocket booster to be used.

041202_iod_booster_04.jpg

Fantastic, :naughty: it'll be nice to resume exploration again. That launch of Discovery will be the second time it was chosen to be the first shuttle to fly after a tragedy.

Yep, that it is , AE. I actually though of changing my avatar to something else, but....nah, I'll keep it! :naughty: Maybe a different one, tho, for the signature. I'll have to scan the images with either Yahoo or Google later today. Thanks for the reply, AE! :flex::drool:

Let's hope that NASA have finally listened to reason and common sense in regard to these shuttles and made it as safe as possible. Otherwise they'll be mourning the loss of another crew.

:naughty:

I agree with that!

Also, I think it's great they're going to finally launch another shuttle! But what are they launching it for? Is it just going to go into space to go into space? Or is it going to do somthing?

I've never been convinced by the need for these space planes.

Launching large crews aboard a very large vehicle. Manned launches of satellites which could be launched on unmanned rockets. The size of the system which is sent into space, the SRB's, the External tank, and the orbiter seems a massive waste just to launch a satellite or conduct some experiments, which could be done on the ISS. Also, I'm sure a smaller, safer launch vehicle could be used to shuttle things and people back and forth between the ISS, rather than a vehicle the size of the present design of shuttle.

The original design of the shuttle from the 1970's called for a very small orbiter launched aboard a totally reusuable launch system, as opposed to the present design.

I hope we don't see more debris from shuttles rain down on Texas... :rolleyes:

At least they have finally started to reinitiate the program. But we really have to see what will happen in the next few years.

It's good that we're going back up, but they do need to completely redesign the shuttle design into something safer and more efficient. Well, at least we're doing something.

If they want a space plane, they need something smaller than the present shuttle, light, with small stubby wings, with it's own power on re-entry so it won't need to glide back to Earth and can disperse some of the heat upon re-entry. The smaller craft will allow the heat shield problem to become more managable because the "tile" system has always given NASA troubles, They need something like the X-15 Rocket Plane or along those lines, Larger payloads can be launched on seperate unmanned disposable rockets. The orbiter needs to be above the launch system, high up on the launch rocket to prevent debris from hitting it. The launch vehicle needs to be fully reusable, as opposed to the discarded EFT. Also they need small crews who have the option of using safe evacuation systems in case of emergency.

NASA also needs a more effective culture and they need to start listening to contractors (in Challenger's case) and looking with common sense at their own videotape (in Columbia's case).

Edited by The King

The launch of the Discovery shuttle is on track, according to an article in Space.com. The actual date, though , has been delayed to May or June, due to hurricane damage to the Vehicle Assembly Building. :assimilated:

Space Shuttle's external tank development

The link above will take you to Space.com and an article about NASA's improvements to the Space Shuttle's external tank. I found it interesting. I realize that there are some skeptics to this program. I, for one, don't wish to totally abandon the Space Shuttle, not until we have a better manned vehicle. To continue to use and develop the ISS, as well as a potential land base on the Moon for research and further space exploration, the shuttle is our best option. IMO. Increased use of unmanned vehicles needs to be utilized, of course, whenever feasible. :assimilated:

Edited by jaz4debo

It's "Tombstone Technology".

Before Challenger, they were very clearly and explicitly told about concerns over the safety of the O-Rings in the SRB's at very cold temperatures, but they launched anyway. After the disaster, what did they say? "Oh we've solved the problem".

If they had exercised as much concern for their astronauts as they had for their launch schedule, the disaster would have been avoided.

After Columbia launched, they saw very clearly on videotapes that a massive piece of heavy foam insulation hit the leading edge of the left wing, which is where the initial problems began to occur which ended up with the shuttle breaking up on re-entry.

Now what do they say? "Oh we've solved the problem".

I understand that technology can fail, but in both disasters, they were fully aware of both problems. If they launch this shuttle again, then that's great, until the next fatal arrogance occurs and more astronauts are killed.

If these guys INSIST of building a spaceplane type vehicle, the original design from the 1970's is still sound, and with updated technology, it would be even more sound. Both the Challenger faults and Columbia damage would NOT have happened on the original "Space Shuttle" design. No SRB's, no soild fuel which is far too dangerous, no foam insulation hitting the orbiter, and no "cannonball" tactics for re-entry, as the "new" shuttle would have it's own engines and could slow down on it's way back home.

Edited by The King