Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jaz4stfguy

The Jaz Files

Personally, Christianity is not about modeling. If all religons were protrayed that way, then there would be none. Religon is all about having a better understanding in your faith. Without faith, you are nothing but flesh and bone.

301642[/snapback]

Hmmm..interesting perspective, Lursa. I could comment at length, but I won't today. :)

I just finished checking the flight itinerary for my trip to Atlanta. My wife, Luke, and I are going to Ft. Benning to see Seth, no.2 son, graduate from Army Basic Training. I also booked a flight for him back to Minneapolis. He doesn't know yet when he will return for Ranger school. Or, for that matter, when he'll be activated to go overseas. It's already a given that he will go. Meanwhile, he will drill with a local Guard unit. And find a job, apartment, car, etc... Looks like Davy the Cat will be staying with us a while longer. If the cat could talk, he might say " its all good!" :) Jazmine the Dog will still have to cope with him, though usually they get along.

Just a quick note to say hi, as I've got to get some shut-eye before I leave for a few days. Hopefully the weather will be nice in Georgia. I may even zip down to see the Gulf of Mexico. :bow:

Hello from the "deep South"! I am currently logged in at the motel. There is a computer available to the guests. The trip so far has been okay. I've had some trouble getting around as I'm new to this area. I'm so used to just getting in the car and going, whereas here I'm basically lost! <_< Or so it seems. The "turning out blue" ceremony went fine. This is where the soldier has his infantry braids attached to his uniform, usually by a parent or loved one. It was very windy and was difficult to hear the speeches. At the end, the company shouts out the "soldiers creed." No problem hearing that! Later, we went into town, Columbus, to shop at a surplus store. It seems that my son had to buy his own rucksack, though I don't know why. And a "camelback" water bladder instead of a traditional canteen. Again, I don't know why. Not that its a secret, just that I didn't ask. I've been fighting a headache most of the day, and so I was a bit of a grouch. :( < Partly stressed out due to the driving and missed turns, of which I seemed to make a lot of them. :biggrin: I looked at going down to the Gulf just to say that we were there. The weather isn't much better. We may just stay in the area. Visit Plains - Jimmy Carter's town - and the Andersonville Civil War POW camp. And there is always shopping for souvenirs. :blink: I may take Luke to see a hockey game, the Columbus Cottonmouths. Ciao!

I'm back from the trip to Georgia. The graduation ceremony on Friday was impressive, as there was a mock exercise using two Bradleys firing blanks ( very LOUD) and then deploying its platoon under the cover of smoke, with machine guns and mortars going off, all blank ammo, of course. Really very impressive. Rather clever to see the team emerge from the smoke as it approached the crowd. Sort of "hollywood" . :blink: The wind picked up around then so I missed a lot of the commemtary. Some of the soldiers go on to other schools, whereas some return home, either for leave or, in Seth's case, to await further orders. He will be attached to a local Guard unit meanwhile. He hopes to return to Benning for Ranger School.

My family and I didn't go see the sights as I had hoped. We did, however, visit the National Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning. There were outside displays of cannons and tanks, some captured vehicles from Iraq, too. Inside, there are numerous displays dating back to the Revolutionary War up to the present. Yes, there are some displays from our current involvement in Iraq. I learned too late that there are three floors of exhibits. I had especially wanted to see the Korean War stuff, as my dad was in at that time. But it was on the third floor, and there was no more time before closing. Some other visit, I guess, I will see it. :blink:

well im glad that you are back. Also what do you think about my comment about Religon?

303366[/snapback]

Ok, let's see...where do I begin..? First of all, I disagree with your first statement. By definition, a Christian is " Christ - like". Those who claim to be "christians", then, are expected to live their lives following the precipts and laws set forth in the Bible. Thus, we are "ambassadors", or models, if you wish. Jesus taught his disciples, and instructed them to go and tell others. They, in turn are teachers, "modeling" what Christ had taught them, and using the "gifts", or talents, unique to each of them, bestowed on them by the Holy Spirit. The apostle Paul said, in a letter to the church in Thessalonica, "For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example ... but in order to offer ourselves as a model (italics mine) for you, that you might follow our example." 2Thess.3:7,9. Here we see the Bible instructing us to be models. Does this help you, Lursa? I will comment on the rest of your statement at a later date. Ok?

Just a quick note. We are plodding through our third installment of inventory at work. Previously, there were two other departments that we inventoried. This one, however, is the biggest, and, thus, longest one to accomplish. Tomorrow will no doubt involve recounts, or missed counts. We have merchandise and material in the oddest places as there is simply no room in the warehouse. There is one building that formerly housed pizza delivery trucks. We refer to it as the "tombs" - as in "Tombstone Pizza". :waaaa: Its not heated, so in the wintertime, it definitely seems tomb-like. :P Later.

Well, it's finally over. Inventory for 2005 is finished. Yee haw! Tomorrow, the Daytonna 500! Another "yee haw"! Right now, I'm watching an old episode of "Highway to Heaven", another series featuring the late Michael Landon. I've long admired Mr. Landon, beginning with "Bonanza" then "Little House on the Prairie." I liked his shows in that they are quality and family-oriented. He didn't need to slip into filthy sex talk and personal cut-downs to gain an audience. :yahoo:

Here is a photo of my late-son Joel. I mentioned him in a Kronos thread, in regards to why I am pro-life, and do not favor abortions even if the unborn baby has potential health risks. My son Joel did, in fact, several that were later discovered or were a result of something else. This photo is of his 8th birthday, his last one with us. :P Luke is standing next to him, and is 6 yrs old.

BTW, this photo is carried in my wallet, which is why it looks wrinkled. It helps me to know he is "with me" still. B)

Today has been laundry day. Two loads of towels, and then my own clothes. The dryer needs to be serviced, or maybe just a thorough vacuuming, as it doesn't dry properly. It usually takes two cycles to dry a big load, such as bath towels. It wasn't like this when new. We replaced our washer, only 5yrs. old (!), as the transmission failed, overheating. My wife was alarmed to find smoke in the house! We discovered that the smoke alarm was faulty, as well. No, it wasn't the batteries. I ended up replacing it. We decided to get a better quality washer, so bought a Whirlpool. With taxes and added costs, it set us back $500. Ouch! Our trip to Georgia wasn't cheap, either. All told, with plane tickets, lodging, car rental, and food for three of us , the trip cost about $1000. Well, there goes all that overtime pay. :biggrin: Fortunately, I still has some Christmas Club money left over. That, plus the extra hours last week for inventory, will help soften the blow. Now to see if my supervisor will bump my pay up to the next class (I work in a union shop), that would help, too. We just voted for a new three-year contract.

Tomorrow, my oldest son, Kevin, who coaches a 5th grade basketball team, will take his team to a tournament. Luke, my wife, and I will go cheer him on. Tomorrow night, there is a hockey program in Rochester which will feature some NHL players from the Minnesota Wild. There will be an autograph session. Luke is bringing his hockey cards! :lol:

The program at Rochester went well. A benefit for the Shjon Podein Children's Foundation, it featured an exhibition game that included NHL and local hockey players. Beforehand, there was an autograph sesssion, featuring Brad Bombadir of the Nashville Predators, Mark Parrish of the New York Islanders, Paul Martin of the New Jersey Devils, and Andrew Brunette of the Minnesota Wild. Steve Bell of the Minnesota Gophers also was there. We stood in line for nearly 2 hours, but did get autographs. Luke and I posed with Bombadir and Brunette. I'll post the photo later. The game was fun to watch. No "checking", but the skill and speed of the players was awesome! Luke and his teammates had seats directly above the players' benches. Luke struck up a conversation with Mark Parrish. Luke was so impressed. Mr. Parrish even offered to give him a back-up stick. Sadly, the crush of other autograph seekers made it too difficult for Luke to get it. He was really crushed. I tried to contact a staffperson later, but the team had retired to their locker room. Oh well. It will be a night to remember for a very long time. Luke plans to adopt Mark Parrish as his second favorite player (Peter Forsberg of the Colorado Avalanche is #1; Chris Pronger of the St. Louis Blues is #3, but is his fav defenseman). :lol: :biggrin:

Here is a photo from my trip to Georgia. This was "turning blue" day, where the soldiers have their blue infantry cord attached, in this case, by his parents.

BTW, sorry for the "scowl" look, but I think I was just cold. The breeze was stiff, and had only a long-sleeved shirt! :)

This is Seth's Graduation Day. Notice that my wife is wearing a coat, and that I am wearing a sweatshirt! It was still a chilly day.

BTW, the grayish "stuff" on the name tag is my attempt to hide his last name. Just for security, you know. :)

At first I thought it was a new combat bin or something. :) I would have done the same thing.

At first I thought it was a new combat bin or something.   :)   I would have done the same thing.

306743[/snapback]

:) Yep, I guess it does!

Here is Seth and Luke at the entrance to the National Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning, GA. If you ever decide to go, give yourself a lot of time. The museum has three levels, as well as outdoor displays. If you like military stuff, you'll be in "hog heaven"! :)

I like your views but to me it depends how you look at it. Religon flows like the roots of a tree everyone follows there own path in order to get closer to god.

I like your views but to me it depends how you look at it. Religon flows like the roots of a tree everyone follows there own path in order to get closer to god.

307245[/snapback]

When speaking about "religion", it is usually wise to define your terms. Religion, by definition is: the service and worship of God or the supernatural. ... a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices... a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith." Webster's Dictionary. Maybe that's overdoing it, but I believe its important to understand what the word means, that we can have a common basis from which to go in our discussion about religion.

Another important term is "god" or "God". From the same dictionary, we find this definition: "... the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe ... a person or thing of supreme value...". As you can see, there can be many sorts of "gods" besides the tradtional triune God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Money can be a "god" as well, and the pursuit of it a type of religion. The Christian religion, to which I adhere, is exclusive in terms of other gods and religions. There is only one true God, the Creator of the Universe, and only one path, or way to Him. Jesus Christ, God the Son, is that way. " I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." John 14:6. I guess that is enough for now. I appreciate your interest in religious things, Lursa. :elephant:

It was a beautiful, sunny day in SE Minnesota. Temps in the 50's. Sadly, the temps return to the wintry levels for the rest of the week. I spent most of the day indoors. Did some laundry, and watched some of the Busch race in Mexico. I believe that Martin Truex won. I left to go to Luke's end of the year party for the hockey team. He got the award for "the smoothest skater". :blush:

Not too much to say, other than this week has been a real drag. I've felt really tired, headachy. It almost seems oppressive, in a spiritual sense, as I've been battling a lot of negative thoughts. Daily Bible reading would help, but its a struggle. I heard the Carpenters on a local PBS station. I had forgotten how much that I really "dig" their music. :yahoo: It brought back many pleasent memories of the Sixties and Seventies. I have a couple of their CDs, and my wife has several of their albums. I presently don't have a turntable, or record player, as I loaned mine to a buddy at work. I hope he hasn't become too attatched to it. LOL!

Great news! Oh, yeah, its Friday! TGIF! w00t, w00t!! Seriously, I do have some great news. I received a pay raise! To that I say - its about time! :P j/k

Also, and maybe even better: no overtime for next week! Zero. Nunca. Solamente nada. :o :P :P

who are you on your pictures  :bow:

309563[/snapback]

Most of them are of family members. I don't know which picture that you mean. I intended to put a caption with each one to ID it, but, sorry, if I didn't. I also intend to post these and some others in the Gallery section. Thanks for your interest, TC! :bow:

Not too much to say. Right now, Luke is showing me his L.B.E. - Load Bearing Equipment - that he bought from the local Army/Navy store. He is wanting to take part in paintball activities. Some of his friends, naturally, are in to that. He is hoping that his dad ~~ me, of course! ~~ will join him. Spring and then summer are still a ways off. I have a lot of ideas for things to do around the house: clean out the garage; clean and paint the front porch; etc. I don't know if I'll have a lot of time for paintball. Oh, well, maybe once, just to say that I tried it. LOL! :P

Cool I love learning about different religons it is very important to me I think is what makes me a better person. I am even learning about Islam right now. Alot of people look down upon it but to me i accept anything with open arms. I have have done paintballing before i should try it sometimes.

Cool I love learning about different religons it is very important to me I think is what makes me a better person. I am even learning about Islam right now. Alot of people look down upon it but to me i accept anything with open arms. I have have done paintballing before i should try it sometimes.

310885[/snapback]

Thanks for your reply, Lursa! Part of a person's desire to learn about religion, I believe, is to find the "truth", or answers to those "big" questions. Its ok to be open minded about religion, but one needs to practice critical thinking. Don't accept all that you are told at face value without testing it first, including Christianity. I believe that the Bible is the source of a lot of answers, and it has withstood a lot of criticism. Its important that you, yourself, have a firm basis, a foundation, on which to base your faith. Again, I believe that the Bible is that firm foundation. There is an old gospel song with the words " on Christ the Solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand." :P

Oh, and I also hope to try paintballing this year. Sometime after the ground dries up. Crawling in the mud and snow doesn't seem too cool to me. :yahoo:

I've been resting this afternoon, watching the NCAA basketball tourney. Resting, because I'm tired from all the snowshoveling and snowblowing since yesterday afternoon. I don't know the offical amount, but there is about 14" of new snow in my yard. :angry: And in places, due to the wind creating drifts of snow, its over my waist! My backyard deck had snow up to the top railing, until Luke and Kevin cleared it off. :mad1: Now, incredibly, its warming up, so the snow is melting in spots, especially on the driveways and roadways. However, if the temps drop tonight, it'll be icy in those same areas.

I need to do something instead of watching more TV. I can check the scores of the BB games later. So here I am posting. I'm creeping closer to 1000 posts. I wonder how much longer it will take? The house is quiet, and the two animals - Jazmine the golden retriever and Davy the black cat ( who also retrieves small objects :look: ) - are napping. My other son, Seth, is visting, playing a PS2 game. Maybe I will post something at BakulaBabes log. :eek:

I'm watching the Golden Corral 500, and it has been a doozy! A big crash in the first lap. So far, Mark Martin is in the top 10. I'm flip-flopping between this race and the NCAA games on CBS. I cannot believe the upsets! My fav team to win the championship, UConn, has been knocked off by NC State. The announcer talks of "bracket busters" - upsets - and he is not kidding! I've already chucked one of my brackets, and my second one looks pretty weak. My on-line bracket is looking ok...so far. :angry: :look:

To get to a 1000 posts, I have a very long way to go lol. But also you deserve to get a rest with everything that you have gone through why not? I will be getting some more rest this weekend.