Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Evans

Captain Christopher Pike

What year was Captain Pike in charge of the U.S.S Enterprise?

Pike.jpg

Grrr... I'm better than Kirk and I know it!

He took command in 2250. James Kirk became captain in 2263.

Anyone know what he died from?

Presumably from old age on Talos IV.

Jeffrey Hunter died after he suffered a cerebral hemorrhage while on a stairway in his home. He fell and struck his head and died during surgery to repair the skull fracture. He was only 42 when he died (in 1969).

Oh really, I wasn't aware of that fact. That was the same year as the final season of Star Trek.

If he became the captain rather than Shatner I see 2 likely possibilities:

1. Hunter would not have died because by living 3 of his life on the show he may not have not been by his stairs on that day. He might not have even had the same home

2. Star Trek would still be loved by all but unfortunately because he did still die there was never a chance for The Motion Picture. Star Trek then was never resurrected.

Maybe there was a purpose[/] to why Hunter was never allowed to be captain on the show? Oh geez, I'm turing Star Trek into a religion. That can't be good!

Edited by Captain Bolivar

Oh really, I wasn't aware of that fact.  That was the same year as the final season of Star Trek.

If he became the captain rather than Shatner I see 2 likely possibilities:

1.  Hunter would not have died because by living 3 of his life on the show he may not have not been by his stairs on that day.  He might not have even had the same home

2. Star Trek would still be loved by all but unfortunately because he did still die there was never a chance for The Motion Picture.  Star Trek then was never resurrected.

Maybe there was a purpose[/] to why Hunter was never allowed to be captain on the show?  Oh geez, I'm turing Star Trek into a religion.  That can't be good!

I've thought the same thing, that if he had been on Star Trek he might not have died but the reason he flee down his steps was the cerebral hemorrhage (stroke). So while it's possible he wouldn't have been in those stairs at that time when the stroke hit him and therefore wouldn't have fallen fracturing his skull I think we could safely say that the stroke would still have likely happened. It's also true that a stroke doesn't always mean death but for him to have survived through ST VI would be pretty unlikely I think. So I think it's fair to say that Star Trek would have been different in more ways then just having another actor play the lead.

Captain Christopher Pike

Played by Jeffrey Hunter

"Best known as commanding officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701, just prior to James Kirk, Pike counted the top-secret first contact with the natives of Talos IV amid his long Starfleet career. Later in life, as a fleet captain aboard the training ship U.S.S. Republic, Pike suffered massive radiation damage after saving several cadets when a baffle plate ruptured in the ship's reactor. Thanks to the unorthodox methods of his former science officer, Spock, in 2366, Pike was returned to Talos IV to live out his life without the debilitating lifestyle he had endured, even with a self-propelled, life-support wheelchair." - Taken from Startrek.com

bridge-old1701.jpg

Captain Pike's Enterprise bridge

94_2.jpg

Retired Captain Pike in his life support wheelchair

Wherever Captain Pike is we should all know that he is happy. He returned to Talos IV to live out the remains of his life in a mentally constructed wonderland created by the Talosians. If he did die, he died happy. I am still convinced he is one of the greatest people to have sat in the Captain chair of the Enterprise. Why? This is why:-

awID1.jpg

Christopher Pike Medal of Valor award

Edited by Lt. Evans

How do you think the show would have evolved had the cast from The Cage remained for the rest of the show?

Do you think Star Trek would have been as successful?

Do you think it would have been as good or better?

I've always liked Captain Pike and I feel that The Original Series would have just as good and perhaps even better with him as captain. I also liked Majel Barrett as number one... But, it's a good thing for Star Trek that this didn't happen. Since the actor who played Captain Pike died at such an young age..There probably would have been no theatrical movies from TOS..I can't imagine them making Star Trek movies with the entire original cast and a different captain... :P And isn't that where the idea for another series came from? There probably wouldn't had been any TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT..

It's hard to say. According to his imdb page, Jeffrey Hunter died in May of 1969 of head trauma. So it was an accident. The thing I have to wonder is: would Hunter have died if he ended up being captain?

So its entirely possible that if he had become captain, he wouldn't have died and Star Trek may have continued on its current course.

Man, I wish we could get Daniels or the Krenim in on this one so we could find out.

I really don't know how Star Trek would have been different if Pike was captain. It's hard to compare a cast from one episode to a cast from 79 episodes and six movies.

I honestly dont think it would've been as successful. I think roddenberry learned some things that worked and that didnt work from the pilot, and it progressed from there. The show needed swagger and Shatner provided that. Hunter was too dry. The first Doctor, too old and no personality. He was better on The Twilight Zone and others in 50's and 60's. Majel Barrett, too harsh, they werent ready for that strong of woman back then. The Cage was good, but needed tweaking.

sadly I don't think it would have been as successful. Since the first time I watched "The Cage" I realized that it wasn't as good as "Kirk Trek". Spock looked old and had emotion and he was also the only one, besides Majel, that was part of the later cast. It's not the same and not as good when it's missing Bones, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov. :lol:

I do not believe that it would have been as successful. I think that alot of it's popularity came from the cast members themselves and a different cast may not have received the same response. Also, I agree that at the time have a strong female first officer would not have went well with the general population.

Captain Pike was an intrgral part of Trek Histry. He was the Kirk of his generation. That is a given with which we cannot aruue

True, there’s no denying that he’s part of the timeline. I believe it was Sisko (I may be mistaken) that received the “Christopher Pike Medal of Honor” on DS9. But what made Star Trek Trek was Kirk, Spock and McCoy. It's just not the same without them. Sure there would have been a Spock, but not the Spock we all know and love.

I think the Kirk - McCoy - Spock relationship and chemistry had a lot todo with the success of the series and early movie franchise. Who now what the other cast could have done but what the TOs cast did so was to set the stage for a Sci Fi dynasty.

Good Question. I have no idea. I prefer the cast the show ended up with though. The characters in the first pilot were kinda bland.

Well we all know how much we liked the original series with the trio Kirk, Spock and Bones.

Could we have come to like a series with Captain Pike as well? That is an interesting question.

For me, I had a crush on Captain Kirk when I was girl watching TOS while it was on the air ( a pre-teen kinda thing..). Captain Pike was just as dashing, and little bit handsomer, and just as heroic. He came off a little more 'by the book' than Kirk, but I could see myself caught up in his adventures.

While Spock would have been a different kind of Vulcan, it at least would have made T'pol's interpretation of 'Vulcan' consistent with Spock's!

While No. 1 was a very technical person and a strong, independent woman, there was still the other main female character who was far more 'feminine' who could be a contrasting role model.

It would continue to make Star Trek a trend-setting, stereotype-defying show to have had No. 1. as a regular character.

I believe a series with Pike would have been no less sucessful than the one with Kirk. It would have been different. If Roddenberry had kept Pike, he may still have modified it based on the failure of the pilot, and have had many interesting characters we would also have come to love.

I think a lot of the power of the original series came from the interaction of Roddenberry, good stories, good acting, and character development. and challenging society's norms. I think that it could have all happened with Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Pike. It just would have been different.

Actually, Roddenberry wanted to keep Pike in the 2nd pilot but Jefrrey Hunter absolutely refused to be involved.

Actually, Roddenberry wanted to keep Pike in the 2nd pilot but Jefrrey Hunter absolutely refused to be involved.

311074[/snapback]

Thanks for the info, but the question TM asked was mostly hypothetical, and speculating on what would have happened if Star Trek had Captain Pike rather than Captain Kirk as main character. It was not about what actually did happend and why.

To reiterate my main points, I believe there would still be plenty of action, there would still be good character interaction, Vulcans would be different, the show would still challenge societal norms, and some women would have had crushes on Captain Pike as surely as they had crushes on Captain Kirk. I believe the series would still have developed a 'cult' following, because it still would present as optimistic view of the future. It would have been different, however.

I'm glad Shatner eventually got the center seat on the televised Trek,but I like Chris Pike a whole lot better than James T. Kirk in the TOS novels.There's just something about his command-style....more military,less familiar with his subordinates that I like.

Actually, Roddenberry wanted Hunter to return for the 2nd pilot of Trek. It was Hunter who turned Roddenberry down. At the advice of his agent and family, he decided he did not want to continue in the role of Pike. Roddenberry waited as long as he could and finally just recast the captain.

Well if I'm not mistaking it was his wife that didn't want him to go back to star trek from what I read and I could be wrong but she love money WAY too much and wanted him to get better picture deals but like I said I could be wrong?

Brian