Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

DISNEY TO ACQUIRE LUCASFILM LTD.

Burbank, CA and San Francisco, CA, October 30, 2012 – Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

MORE

----------------------------------------------------------

Disney to make new ‘Star Wars’ movies

By Associated Press, Updated: Tuesday, October 30, 3:45 PM

LOS ANGELES — A decade since George Lucas said “Star Wars” was finished on the big screen, a new trilogy under new ownership is destined for theaters after The Walt Disney Co. announced Tuesday that it was buying Lucasfilm Ltd. from him for $4.05 billion.

The seventh movie, with a working title of “Episode 7,” is set for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The trilogy will continue the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond “Return of the Jedi,” the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new “Star Wars” movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as creative consultant in the new movies.

MORE

----------------------------------------

WOW. Just, wow.

I think this is a good thing. No offense to George Lucas, but the old man was losing his touch, as evidenced by the prequel trilogy. Scenes in the prequel movies were far too busy in my opinion, which made it difficult to focus on anything. Because most of it was filmed in front of a blue screen, the environments were simulated and it seemed far to sterile. I can't imagine how much of a challenge it must have been for the actors, but unfortunately it was difficult for me to be emotionally invested in the characters. Based on the interviews and such that I have watched, it seems Lucas had absolute control over the story and pretty much everything else in those movies. No one on the production team dared question the cult of personality surrounding Lucas, thus by the time they realized they had gone way too far (Rick McCallum himself even admitted this) it was too late. Due to some of the horrible criticism the prequel movies received, George Lucas said he'd never make the sequel trilogy.

My point is this; Disney has entire teams of some of the best creative writers anywhere in the world. Most, if not all of their movies are huge successes, and they appeal to a wide demographic of moviegoers. I have little doubt they will stay true to the Star Wars universe we know, and I think they will do great things with the Star Wars franchise. They will go places with it outside the bounds of one man's tunnel vision.

I still haven't made up my mind on this. At first, I thought it was a hoax. Then I thought "OMGWTF??? Seriously???" After reading some articles about it, I was upset about Star Wars alongside Mickey, Goofy, Dumbo, and Tinkerbell...NOOOOOOO!!!

Now I'm not sure what to think. Star Wars will have a secure future, but I'm almost dreading what Disney might do with the next trilogy (I wonder what they would have done with Revenge of the Sith). As long as George Lucas stays involved with it, at least it won't completely suck.

My take on it is this, they really couldn't do any worse on the sequels than Lucas did with the prequel trilogy.

If they screw it up, who cares*. If they get it right then O'happy day, more good Wars to enjoy.

*I have no investment in the EU but I understand many do and they do not want to see it decanonized but o'well, what are they going to do? Just like with NuTrek, we either accept changes or we don't but how the minority feel about it doesn't amount to a hill of beans to the Bean counters.

I am sure something about it probably won't sit well with me - No TCF Search-lights/drumbeats, no John Williams in the score? That's not Star Wars! :lol: