Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Minor characters

As much as I love Voyager, there's a huge plot hole they really can't (and don't try to) do anything about. The minor characters! The whole series is about how these people stuck on the other side of the universe come together as a family... But yet there are a few minor characters you only see every once in a while.

Ens. Sam(antha) Wildman -- She's actually in enough episodes that she's basically a main character, but she's not in a lot of them, and they don't develop her character much. She has a child, Naomi.

Naomi Wildman -- The one child on Voyager, you'd think she'd be the Captain's first priority in just about any situation. Shields raised, they should then be making sure the kid's alright. That they had kids (and a school) on TNG was appalling considering the amount of conflicts they got into and the risks Picard took, but Voyager couldn't unload Naomi and her mother on a space station somewhere, so their situation is unique. And as far as I know, either they don't know who the father is or he died and I can't remember, but Naomi is the only character I've seen with the four little horns... almost like a Klingon, but not quite.

Vorik -- The other Vulcan, from Engineering. He's not nearly as disciplined as Tuvok, and I'd have liked to see more of him (though he can get annoying, and often does).

Commander looking guy -- There's a guy I keep seeing, looks like he should be a First Officer, Captain, or Admiral. Older guy, has the red shoulder pads... I don't think he has any lines, but he looks out of place.

Blue guy -- I think this guy actually has a name, and maybe a line or two somewhere.

I'm sure there are other regular extras, but I don't notice.

:lol:

Actually, I don't see that as any sort of plot hole. If you look at it from another perspective, VOY focused on a few more minor characters than the other series did, so it all works out.

Samantha Wildman's husband is K'tarian(sp?), and was back in the Alpha quadrant. She was pregnant with Naomi when Voyager was lost in the Delta quad.

Naomi was pretty much on screen more than Wesley was on TNG. To me, Naomi was practically the final main cast member. As for your other comment, taking the time to see what Naomi was up to every time Voyager gets into trouble is unfeasible; Janeway has over a hundred lives to look after and Naomi is just one of them.

Blue guy = Chell (a Bolian). He was featured prominently in "Learning Curve", and later offered to be the new chef in Neelix's absence.

Also, Lieutenant Carey was featured in more than a few eps, making him one of the most prominent recurring characters.

There were a few other characters that were mentioned in multiple episodes, such as the Delaney sisters, but not many. I'm afraid I'm not sure who commander-looking guy is. If you gave me an episode name I might be able to figure it out. :rolleyes:

Actually, I don't see that as any sort of plot hole. If you look at it from another perspective, VOY focused on a few more minor characters than the other series did, so it all works out.

Samantha Wildman's husband is K'tarian(sp?), and was back in the Alpha quadrant. She was pregnant with Naomi when Voyager was lost in the Delta quad.

I think they said he was stationed at DS9.

Blue guy = Chell (a Bolian). He was featured prominently in "Learning Curve", and later offered to be the new chef in Neelix's absence.
He's also feathred in the game "Elite Force"
Also, Lieutenant Carey was featured in more than a few eps, making him one of the most prominent recurring characters.

I thought he was killed off prety early in the series, like around season 3 or so?

(according to MemoryAlpha)

Josh Clark as Lieutenant Joe Carey:

VOY:"Caretaker"

VOY:"Parallax"

VOY:"Prime Factors"

VOY:"State of Flux"

VOY:"Relativity"

VOY:"Fury"

VOY:"Friendship One"

mentioned in "Before and After"

In a couple of these episodes, he had sizeable speaking parts. He even apeared in the show after he was killed off ("Relativity"). He obviously wasn't an integral part of the show, but I think seven episodes qualifies him as one of the most used non-regulars.

I read an interview with him in :Star Trek: The Magazine" one time that was pretty interesting. I should go unbury that issue from my closet. :rolleyes:

Carey died in Friendship One. He died in the alternate Before and After timeline.

Relativity and Fury were both flashbacks so Carey didn't appear in present time between State of Flux (Season 1) and Friendship One (Season 7).

A Sev Trek comic strip joked that Carey got out and walked because Voyager was taking so long. :rolleyes:

Carey died in Friendship One. He died in the alternate Before and After timeline.

Relativity and Fury were both flashbacks so Carey didn't appear in present time between State of Flux (Season 1) and Friendship One (Season 7).

A Sev Trek comic strip joked that Carey got out and walked because Voyager was taking so long.  :rolleyes:

337411[/snapback]

I did remember the "Relativity" timeframe wrong in reference to "Friendship One." I still could've sworn he was at least mentioned in an ep after the character's death... :laugh:

*Must.. rearead.. interview*. lol.

Dang! That Ayala was everywhere! :laugh: I hadn't even noticed that til now. Since he was in command-red in a few episodes, could that have been who Dark Reality was referring to?

That link did take me to another interesting link with the recurring characters:

Ayala

Azan

Reginald Barclay

Borg Queen

Braxton

Joseph Carey

Doctor Chaotica

Jal Culluh

Hogan

Icheb

Michael Jonas

Mezoti

Owen Paris

Q

Rebi

Seska

Lon Suder

Deanna Troi

Vorik

Naomi Wildman

Samantha Wildman

Lewis Zimmerman

link

Of those, the only ones I peronally consider the primary recurring characters are Naomi, Seska and Icheb. Carey would be 4th or 5th on that list. He may have been in fewer episodes than Ayala, but he actually had storylines and dialogue. :blink: