Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Chat Room Trivia Session #31

StarTrekFans.net's

Live Star Trek Trivia

Session #31

For another blockbuster; thrill-packed; ever exciting; live Star Trek trivia session, please join us in the StarTrekFans.net chat room this Saturday (01/29/05), at 4:00PM Eastern (1PM Pacific). Don't even think about missing it!

StarTrekFans.net's Official Star Trek Trivia Chat Room Session #31

. . . Is brought to you by:

Ninersbanner2copy.jpg

AND

post-1485-1106247039.jpg

Pre-Live Chat Room Trivia:

The first & second participants to send me a chat room private message with the answer to the following question will receive four official trivia points...

John is now just one and a third times as old as he was when he built his home-spaceship and little Ben, who was 3 1/3 years old when John built the spaceship, is now two years more than half as old as John's wife, Kate, was when John built the spaceship, so that when little Ben is as old as John was when he built the spaceship, their three ages combined will add up to 100 years. How old is Ben (be precise)!?

post-68-1104456831.gif

Edited by master_q

The first & second participants to send me a chat room private message with the answer to the following question will receive four official trivia points...

post-68-1104456831.gif

298688[/snapback]

How do you pm someone in during a chat room session? Edited by Spockstellaiter

Spockstellaiter, double-click on my username on the list of members that are currently in the chat room, and that should open up a new separate window; which will allow you to communicate with me privately in a live chat room fashion.

(If you double-click and nothing happens, then turnoff any pop-up blockers you may have on.)

post-68-1104456831.gif

:) I'm not a math expert or anything but it seems to me that problem is worth way more than four points. :( :(

:( I'm not a math expert or anything but it seems to me that problem is worth way more than four points.  :) :(

298886[/snapback]

yeah

[EDIT: I assume you quoted incorrectly. --master_q]

Edited by master_q

Sorry everyone for posting this later then usual, but I have just been preoccupied with some personal stuff, "TREK-NEWS-TALK" & doing the "part one" interview with tomorrow's guest ahead of time (Jeff Ayers, tomorrow @ 5PM EST in chat room) and updating the homepage post about the cancellation of Enterprise. I'll get everything up soon......

By the way, how did you guys like this trivia session?

---Outstanding, slightly above average, average, slightly below average, poor...?

post-68-1104456831.gif

I first want to thank both David_R._George_III & Indy for taking the time to make a sponsor graphic/banner for this official trivia session. Both of you will be getting 15 trivia points added to both of your net official trivia scores. :laugh:

Answer: 10 & 16/21 years old

Two people got it correct right off the bat! Both David R. George III & Star Trek Fan got it correct on the first shot! Wonderful job! :look:

The most difficult part, I judge, was deconstructing the math trivia problem and setting it up on paper. After that it is really not that difficult, if you have some of the necessary math skills. Initially I was thinking about making my trivia question more direct and straight-forward, but that would defeat its challenge.

I got a couple of requests on how to find the solution. I hope my post helps....Please tell me.

Actually, there is more then one way to solve the problem. Those that you not figure it out probably would not like my more abstract methods, and to be honest I do not want to go through it all.

First, we have to setup the question on paper!

h = # yrs ago home-spaceship was built

x = some number of years in the future (until ben's age = john's at building time, and until three ages sum to 100 years)

John is now one and a third times as old as he was when he built his home-spaceship.

J = 4/3 (J-h)

Little Ben, who was 3 & 1/3 years old when John built the spaceship,

B - h = 10/3

is now two years more than half as old as Kate (John's wife) was when John built the spaceship.

B = 2 + 1/2 (K - h)

When Ben is as old as John was when he built the spaceship,

B + x = J - h

Ben John and Kate's ages will add up to 100 years. How old is Ben?

(B + x) + (J + x) + (K + x) = 100

Does that make sense? (Hopefully)

Now let us try to solve “B” in that system of equations!

Different things we can do.

An Augmented Matrix would work:

B J K x h #

0 1/3 0 0 -4/3 | 0

1 0 0 0 -1 | 10/3

1 0 -1/2 0 ½ | 2

1 -1 0 1 1 | 0

1 1 1 3 0 | 100

(Probably won't post right, but you get the idea if you know how to work with that type of problem.)

Then use rref (reduced row echelon form).

Try row reduction:

1. Interchange two rows.

2. Multiply a row by a nonzero constant.

3. Add a multiple of a row to another row.

These 3 are row operations you might try. Another option would be to use Gaussian Eliminations with back substitution.

For those of you that don’t want to deal with matrixes or something like that (or do not know how) we can then try pure substitution. Because this is the method I think everyone will probably understand, without me having to go over what the heck is going on with matrixes, I will do this. It is a little involved, but with a little time you’ll do alright.

Our equations from setup:

J = 4/3 (J-h)

B - h = 10/3

B = 2+ 1/2(k-h)

B + x = J - h

Using B - h = 10/3

B = h + 10/3

J = 4/3 (J - h) OK.

B = 2+ 1/2(k-h)

(h + 10/3) = 2 + 1/2(k-h)

(3/2)h = -4/3 + .5k OK.

B + x = J - h

(b + 10/3) + x = J - h

2h = -10/3 - x + J OK.

B + J + K + 3x = 100

...h + j + k + 3x = 290/3 OK.

----------

Using J = 4/3 (J - h)

h = 1/4 * J

(3/2)h = -4/3 + (1/2)k

(3/2)(1/4 J) = -4/3 + (1/2)k

(3/8)J = -4/3 + (1/2)k OK.

2h = -10/3 - x + J

2(1/4J) = -10/3 - x + J

-(1/2)J = -10/3 - x OK.

h + j + k + 3x = 290/3

(1/4 J) + J + K + 3x = 290/3

(5/4)J + K + 3x = 290/3 OK.

----------

Using -(1/2 J) = -10/3 - x

J = 20/3 + 2x

(3/8)J = -4/3 + (1/2)k

3/8 (20/3 + 2x) = -4/3 + (1/2)k

(3/4)x = -23/6 + (1/2)k OK.

(5/4)J + K + 3x = 290/3

(5/4)(20/3 + 2x) + K + 3x = 290/3

(11/2)x + K = 265/3 OK.

----------

Using (11/2)x + K = 265/3

K = (-11/2) x + 265/3

(3/4)x = -23/6 + (1/2)k

(3/4)x = -23/6 + (1/2)[(-11/2) x + 265/3]

X = 242/21

----------

Using (11/2)x + K = 265/3

(11/2) (242/21) + K = 265/3

K = 524/21

----------

Using -(1/2)J = (-10/3) - K

J = 208/7

----------

Using J = (4/3) (J - h)

(208/7) = (4/3) [ (208/7) - h ]

h = 52/7

----------

Using B - h = (10/3)

B - (52/7) = (10/3)

B = 226/21

----------

One more test-check:

Using B + x + J + x + K + x = 100

B + J + K + 3x = 100

(226/21) + (208/7) + (524/21) + 3(242/21) = 100

100 = 100

Easy!

post-68-1104456831.gif

Session #31's Questions & Answers

Hopefully all of you enjoyed the previous two official Star Trek chat room trivia sessions here at StarTrekFans.net.

In the last two weeks I have asked over 80 trivia questions. Just thinking about that makes me tired. And I know if some participants had the choice they would want me to ask 100 questions each session. (In a trivia survey I gave in the chat room to find out how to improve the session, I got a couple of responses like that... So I'm not making that up.)

Live chat room trivia will be back to every other Satuday @ 4PM EST.

Q1: By what name was the Redjac entity known as on Earth?

Click For Spoiler

Q2: The androids tempt Uhura with _____________ in “I, Mudd.”

Click For Spoiler

Q3: Name the episode---- Jake and Nog are rescued by a starship run by elite academy cadets.

Click For Spoiler

Q4: Name O’Brien’s son.

Click For Spoiler

Q5: According to the Ferengi Trade By-Laws, a Ferengi male must purchase ________ from a suitable role model on reaching adulthood.

Click For Spoiler

Q6: What is the first chapter of the engineering text at Starfleet Academy entitled?

Click For Spoiler

Q7: Macias was the leader of the _______ cell on the planet Ronara.

Click For Spoiler

Q8: In the Star Trek universe what decade were the Eugenics Wars?

Click For Spoiler

Q9: How much of Earth was Khan the leader of before he was forced to flee aboard the sleeper ship S.S. Botany Bay?

Click For Spoiler

Q10: Volleyball was whose favorite sport on Voyager?

Click For Spoiler

Q11_a: Who is writing a book on the history of professionally published Star Trek fiction? [Full Name!]

Click For Spoiler

Q11_b: When will this chat be held [__/__/05 at 5PM Eastern]? Are you coming?

Click For Spoiler

Q12: Name the episode---- A Founder mimics a diplomat aboard the NX-74205 to sow dissent amongst the Alpha Quadrant powers. Odo kills one of his own people.

Click For Spoiler

Q13: If Janeway and Chakotay both were killed on the U.S.S. Voyager, then who would most likely be in command of the starship?

Click For Spoiler

Q14: On what colony was Data was created?

Click For Spoiler

Q15: What does KLI stand for?

Click For Spoiler

Q16: Name the starship that was forced to make a course correction in “Star Trek: Generations” because of the destruction of the Amargosa star.

Click For Spoiler

Q17: Among the Voyager crew, who had the greatest amount of Starfleet medical training (besides The Doctor)?

Click For Spoiler

Q18: In “Metamorphosis,” with whom did the Companion merge? [Full Name]

Click For Spoiler

Q19: An admiral has five stars is what kind of admiral?

Click For Spoiler

Q20: In the episode “Son and Daughters,” Alexander Rozhenko joined the House of whom?

Click For Spoiler

Q21: What is the name of Klingon ale?

Click For Spoiler

Q22: Name the episode---- An alien relay station allows Starship Voyager’s Emergency Medical Hologram to beam to the Alpha Quadrant aboard the Prometheus.

Click For Spoiler

Q23: Who killed the last Weyoun clone? What number Weyoun was he?

Click For Spoiler

Q24: According to ________, both doctors and bartenders get customers of “[t]he living and the dying.”

Click For Spoiler

Q25: Leeta refused to agree to what waiver that required her to relinquish claim to all of her estate to Rom?

Click For Spoiler

Q26: In “The Changeling,” who was revealed to be Nomad’s creator?

Click For Spoiler

]Wheel . . . . . of . . . . . Fortune!

Guess to what you think the puzzle says. (Do not guess letters; just guess what the phrase may be. If needed I will give hints)

Q27: Q27: _ a l a _ i a _ _

Click For Spoiler

Q28: When the saucer separation is ordered, the drive section is commanded from the _____ on the 1701-D.

Click For Spoiler

Q29: What specific term/word did the Borg Queen note in Picard that she said that Borg sometimes lack?

Click For Spoiler

Q30: What method of space travel did the Sikarians employ?

Click For Spoiler

Q31: Who is the director of “Earthlings: Ugly Bags of Mostly Water”? [FULL NAME!] This chat is being held __/__/05 at 4PM Eastern. [Fill-in-blanks!]

Click For Spoiler

Q32: What is the name of the persona imposed upon B’Elanna while under a Hirogen neural interface?

Click For Spoiler

Q33: Odo was able to perform what kind of Cardassian trick?

Click For Spoiler

Q34: What character had grown a beard in TMP? [Full Name]

Click For Spoiler

Q35: In “Eye of the Needle,” The Doctor received what privilege from there out?

Click For Spoiler

Q36: Continuum Hunt: Send me a direct link to a picture of Captain Picard as Robin Hood ...................... Ready?....Set......GO!!!

Q36 is equivalent to a web-hunt. When you send me a link to this picture --- please don’t send me to a webpage. Send me a link **directly** to the picture.

Q37: Name the episode---- In the opening scenes Sulu is running for his life!

Click For Spoiler

Q38: What member of the Q Continuum was a renowned philosopher within the Continuum, espousing the virtues of the New Era?

Click For Spoiler

Q39: Where did the silicon-bass planet life-form know as the Horta keep its eggs to be born?

Click For Spoiler

Our Last TWO Questions....

The very last question will usher us to our “PC” gathering....

Q40: According to Bashir, who was his first patient, and how old was Bashier when the “operation” took place?

Click For Spoiler

“PC” gathering....Q40_z:

Q40_z: Now we are going to move into our “PC” gathering. Try to name five things that “PC” can be the abbreviation to.

post-68-1104456831.gif

Session #31’s Results!

Jack_Bauer ~ 26 official trivia points

David_R._George_III ~ 20* official trivia points

Daniel_Berry ~ 12 official trivia points

Star_Trek_Fan ~ 8* official trivia points

Rick_Alverado ~ 8 official trivia points

Lt._Van_Roy ~ 6 official trivia points

Angel_of_Darkness ~ 4 official trivia points

Spockstellaiter ~ 2 official trivia points

Mrs.Picard ~ 2 official trivia points

*Includes the 4 points for Pre-Live Trivia Question

Jack_Bauer is once again the winner! :laugh: All of you did well! We had a pretty good turnout in this session, let’s try to keep that up and slowly increase it. Make sure your fellow Star Trek fans know about StarTrekFans.net’s Official Star Trek Trivia.

Stats Based on Participants that made > 0 Official Trivia Points

MIN ~ 2

MAX ~ 26

MED ~ 8

AVG ~ 9.777777778

STDEV ~ 8.273115764

post-68-1104456831.gif

Darn, some of the posting code is messed up.... I'm not going to deal with it this time.

Thanks everyone. I'll see all of you Saturday at 5PM EST in the chat room. Untill then...

post-68-1104456831.gif