Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

To those that do not celebrate

There are many times that we as a community will say things like "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Birthday" or other such celebrations. BUt not all of our members believe in celebrating these occasions.

So to those of you that may feel "out of the loop" at times like this, let me say "Thank you for your membership", "Thank you for your time and devotion to our site." Without YOU we would be missing a very important part of our community.... YOU

So Thank you for your time and devotion. You ARE special people, 1 and all.

Kevin

Everyone's acceptance of our diversity is one of the things that makes this such a great community. Thanks VBG! :hug:

There are many times that we as a community will say things like "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Birthday" or other such celebrations. BUt not all of our members believe in celebrating these occasions.

So to those of you that may feel "out of the loop" at times like this, let me say "Thank you for your membership", "Thank you for your time and devotion to our site." Without YOU we would be missing a very important part of our community.... YOU

Kevin

292345[/snapback]

I dont think i can add anything to that....except i agree 100% :hug:

Kevin

292345[/snapback]

I dont think i can add anything to that....except i agree 100% :hug:

292352[/snapback]

Same here! :bow: :P

Very well said, Kevin!

I hope everyone has a great day whether you are celebrating Christmas as a religious holiday Prayer.gif (not quite what I wanted to use but its only religious smilie I have), a "cultural" holiday3544.gif or whether you are simply celebrating life in general Dancing.gif.

Who doesn't celebrate their bday? :hug:  :bow:

292407[/snapback]

There are a few members that dont celebrate birthdays because of their religious beliefs, you shouldnt feel sad for them because i know they have no problem with it,and i for one have no problem respecting someones beliefs even if they are different from mine :P

Kevin

292345[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more Kevin..Well said.. :hug:

I haven't celebrated my birthday for several years. There's no real "reason" for me not to celebrate it, and there's no real reason for me to celebrate it. For me, it's just another day.

I shouldn't be the one getting gifts and congratulations on that day, it's my mother that did all the work. I just showed up.

Kevin

292345[/snapback]

very eloquently stated :hug::bow:

There are people who don't celebrate birthdays?

Who?  :hug:

292416[/snapback]

We have members who are Jehovah's Witnesses and celebrating birthdays (their own, Christmas - any birthdays) runs counter to their beliefs.

Christmas: Jesus was not born on December 25. He was born about October 1, a time of year when shepherds kept their flocks out-of-doors at night. (Luke 2:8-12) Jesus never commanded Christians to celebrate his birth. Rather, he told his disciples to memorialize, or remember, his death. (Luke 22:19, 20) Christmas and its customs come from ancient false religions. 

Birthdays: The only two birthday celebrations spoken of in the Bible were held by persons who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 40:20-22; Mark 6:21, 22, 24-27) The early Christians did not celebrate birthdays. The custom of celebrating birthdays comes from ancient false religions. True Christians give gifts and have good times together at other times during the year.

This was taken from the Jehovah's Witnesses website. Check out their site at the link I've provided if you wish to learn more.

There are other religions such as Islam that do not celebrate Christmas and birthdays as well. From what I understand, in Islam Jesus is considered a prophet but not the messiah.

Muslims observe holy-days based on the practice of the Prophet Muhammad (Allah's infinite mercy and blessings on him) and the practices of his family, companions and the first few generations of Muslim scholars (May Allah's mercy be on them all). As the Prophet neither ordered an observance of Christmas nor observed it himself, to add this practice to the routine of Muslim life would be an undesirable innovation.

from The Answer Bag

I'm sure there are other religions that also don't celebrate Christmas and/or birthdays as well but I would have to do more extensive research on the topic.

BTW, it is believed by many that December 25 was chosen for celebrating the birth of Christ as way for the Church to appease pagan converts who celebrated the Winter Solstice. There were many pagan rituals and celebrations that were incorporated into Christianity for the same reason.

I shouldn't be the one getting gifts and congratulations on that day, it's my mother that did all the work. I just showed up.

292425[/snapback]

:hug: I never thought of it like that. Very well put!

I don't want this thread to be about the "whys", it's just a thread to acknowledge those that may feel left out because the words "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Birthday" or other similar seasonal greetings have no significance to them.

The "Whys" don't really matter, just as long as the sentiment is understood and received.

I don't want this thread to be about the "whys", it's just a thread to acknowledge those that may feel left out because the words "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Birthday" or other similar seasonal greetings have no significance to them.

The "Whys" don't really matter, just as long as the sentiment is understood and received.

292539[/snapback]

Agreed...sorry if i went off topic i know you ment well

I haven't celebrated my birthday for several years. There's no real "reason" for me not to celebrate it, and there's no real reason for me to celebrate it. For me, it's just another day.

292425[/snapback]

:( B) :( B) :laugh::laugh:

The way you put that cracked me up.

292425[/snapback]

LOL! :(

Christmas is set on a pagan holiday and to convert the Pagans to Christianity, *Christmas* was adopted and adapted to the birth of Christ. Pagan or not I have no problem celebrating. I work and know people of many different cultures some celebrate, some don't but the love they feel doesn't change towards their family and friends. Peace be with everyone. Crystal Edited by BlueCrystal

a thread to acknowledge those that may feel left out because the words "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Birthday" or other similar seasonal greetings have no significance to them.

292539[/snapback]

Yes, thank you for including such ones VBG. I do look forward to the day off work, but then nothing else is open. :( But I did hang out with some friends so it worked out well.

Thank you for that little celebration thing. I must admit that meant a lot more to me than the Christmas I had (NOT at all a good one). Thank you! I agree; there are many people I know here who have changed my life forever and I will never forget.

My original intent was to find a way to express the feelings that "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Birthday" are meant to convey. A way for those that do not celebrate to understand the celebration and maybe feel like they can have a small part in that celebration if they wish.

Not from a religious standpoint, but from a STF standpoint.

292425[/snapback]

VBG - You and I are at the age where we do not celebrate birthdays, we dread them.

292425[/snapback]

VBG - You and I are at the age where we do not celebrate birthdays, we dread them.

293720[/snapback]

Dread your birthday? SHEESH! B) I'll be 52 next April, and I'm looking forward to it! B)