Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

If you could become immortal...

The basic question: If you were given the choice to become immortal, would you take it? Why or why not?

I would say that, yes, I would.

I've always been fascinated with the future. If I could be immortal, I would be, just so I could see what happens next. I want to know if we will ever reach the stars. I want to know if we will ever meet alien cultures. I want to see where our evolution takes us.

But what's the catch?

Remember, you would still age and eventually look like a monster....

But what's the catch?

Remember, you would still age and eventually look like a monster....

291287[/snapback]

I don't think immortals age. I've always understood it that you remain the age you are at the time you become immortal.

I think it would be great as long I could keep from getting arrogant about it.

I absolutely would! It probably has a lot to do with my facination with vampires. I'd love to be around to see how things turn out in the future. :thumbup:

Yes I definately would..I want to see us travel to the stars, explore and colonize other planets, and meet the aliens that I know are out there..And let's face it..Those things are centuries away..I dream of a utopian earth society where everybody gets along and works together..Perhaps it can happen far into the future..

:elephant:That's a silly question, I am immortal. Sure my body will age and wear out but the soul that it incases is immortal. The most important thing about me is my soul that God made and put within this body. I may complain about this body and it's inability to produce bodies for my fellow spirit siblings but that's God's plan and I'm to do something different with this body. I don't know what that something is going to be but as my soul inhabits this body I'll work hard with it to find what my maker intended for it. Now the question for me is what do I do to bring my soul back into the presence of God? Edited by BlueCrystal

Actually, I believe we will all be someday be immortal (immortality being defined as the point where our body and spirit are re-united after death to never again be separated). To achieve that it is necessary that we all die but we will all be resurrected. The type of life we'll have as immortals depends on choices we've made here - but I don't expect it to be boring.

And I very much look forward to exploring the far reaches of the galaxy and studying all the mysteries of this planet etc etc etc.

I think I would. I love knowledge and the opportunity to accumulate all of it everything is just too tempting.

Some excellent comments.

I too believe your spirit is immortal and your body dies but you live on.

However, in the spirit of the question I think if it were becoming immortal such as in an Anne Rice novel, I'd do it.

To go exploring into the mountains and jungles of the world and not have had life passed you by.

To increase knowledge, and fulfill all your dreams.........I'd definitely do it.

The only thing is, is that my Beloved would have to be immortal too.

For without him, it wouldn't be worth it. :elephant:

Edited by italiangirl

I'd definitely like to be immortal (in the spirit of this question) like the elves! it'd be soo awesome and I want to be there when they invent real space travel and I want to explore the universe! and, like Anakin, I want to visit every star!

Yes I definately would..I want to see us travel to the stars, explore and colonize other planets, and meet the aliens that I know are out there..And let's face it..Those things are centuries away..I dream of a utopian earth society where everybody gets along and works together..Perhaps it can happen far into the future..

291319[/snapback]

I agree with ST...but on a more personel level, i would not want it if my family ( and animals...) were not immortal too.

:elephant: That's a silly question, I am immortal.  Sure my body will age and wear out but the soul that it incases is immortal.  The most important thing about me is my soul that God made and put within this body.

Well stated. :clap: As for immortality in the spirit of the question, it would depend. I personally do not like this life. If becoming immortal would mean that I would be an ordinary human forever, I would not like that. This world... the way it is going... I would not want to stay in it forever. However, if I was a vampire, or the Star trek future would really become true, or I could enter one of my fantasy worlds, I would jump at the chance for immortality.

NO! I DON'T WANT TO BE IMMORTAL IN THIS EARTH,I WILL RATHER DIE AS OLD AS I COULD GET.BETTER BE MORTAL HERE AND

RECEIVE THE GIFT OF YOUTH (IMMORTALITY) IN THE HEAVENS...

If you are speaking of immortality here on this earth, watching all those I love leave me through death while I remain....no, I don't think so. But I too believe in immortality, and do believe to have it one day, but not in this world. I hope then to be reunited with all of those who have already left this plane, and will await those who will come after me.

I don't think immortals age. I've always understood it that you remain the age you are at the time you become immortal.

Actually, I guess it just depends on how you look at it. In a couple of cases in mythologic references... (Greek myth) Eos asked for her love to become immortal so they could remain together, but forgot to ask for Tithonius to have eternal youth so he became more desicated with age. And in another myth, her sister Selene recalled her sister's mistake and asked for Endymion to become immortal and remain in an eternal sleep(so as to have him remain young). This as far as I can recall echoed in a couple other myths(meaning other than Greek/Roman).

As for immortality.... I do not think I would particularly care for it, as I would have to watch everyone I love grow old and die. I know that is an eventuality, but the idea of watching my niece reach her senior years while I remain young. Or if I have children in the future, and have to watch them grow old and pass on. That would be a bit too much for me. So I would have to turn the chance down. I think being mortal, living each day at its fullest makes life itself more special. Basically, live each day as if it were your last.

What do you mean, I am immortal. LOL.

I would definitely take the opportunity in a heartbeat, I have an intense fear of death and growing old and feable, also I would love to be immortal for the shear joy of being able to be around to see how the distant future does play out.

Seesh, everyone took it the wrong way!

Let me rephrase it... If you could become immortal as you are now, or in a younger form and roam the earth and (if we even get there) stars, would you?

I would. I would lament to the loss of my loved ones, my family and friends, but given time I would once again look up at the stars and wonder, "What's up there?" Then I would look at the people and wonder, "What will we do next?" I'd want to stay in my current form so I could experience it, share it, with everyone else. Maybe even contribute.

I don't think so. Not in this plane of existence anyway. Too many "what ifs" about the future, the world might become a hellish place for some reason (or destroyed completely) and there you'd be, perhaps all alone; suffering for all eternity. *shudders*

Here We Are, Born To Be Kings, We're The Princes Of The Universe!!!

Here We Belong, Fighting To Survive In A War With The Darkest Powers!!!

Something Like That. ;)

Seriosuly Though....I Wouldn't. I'd Hate To See All My Friends And Family Die Around Me.

On The Other Hand....If I Were Made Immortal...Make Me A Vampire! :vampire:

Not Completely Immortal, I Know....

If i could make debbie immortal as well then yeah why not but with out her i couldnt do it cuz just one 1 hr with out her is to much for me to live with..lol so living forever with out her would drive me nuts ;)

If i could make debbie immortal as well then yeah why not but with out her i couldnt do it cuz just one 1 hr with out her is to much for me to live with..lol so living forever with out her would drive me nuts ;)

296492[/snapback]

You'll have to save the URL for that post if you ever get in Debbie's doghouse, hang!

I'd like to be immortal but I'd rather be a Q. lol

296492[/snapback]

You'll have to save the URL for that post if you ever get in Debbie's doghouse, hang!

296519[/snapback]

Hehe hang always thinks ahead ;)

Edited by hangon

296492[/snapback]

I'd like to be immortal but I'd rather be a Q. lol

296519[/snapback]

Belive it or not but he is/was in the dog house ;)

But i cant stay mad at him after reading this :blush 2: *thwack* just to make sure honey :(

296492[/snapback]

296519[/snapback]

296529[/snapback]

Just remember the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition "It Never Hurts to suck up to the boss." And in a relationship, I think we all know who the boss really is, lol.

If i could make debbie immortal as well then yeah why not but with out her i couldnt do it cuz just one 1 hr with out her is to much for me to live with..lol so living forever with out her would drive me nuts :(

296492[/snapback]

296519[/snapback]

296529[/snapback]

Just remember the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition "It Never Hurts to suck up to the boss." And in a relationship, I think we all know who the boss really is, lol.

296614[/snapback]

LMAO hmmm no comment*looks over shoulder* ;)

I am split on this one, yes I would majorly saddened by the loss of loved ones as they died, and I could see myself enbitterned by this loss, you love to lose, not a great thing. But then I can also see myself not wanting to give up living as I am now, so this is hard.