Sign in to follow this  
Spockstellaiter

Kirk

I doubt that that's true. I never heard about that on his website. The next movie is going to be a prequel film, so he won't be James Kirk if he did return in the movie. He's trying to get on the tv series "Enterprise" but they may or may not happen since he has his own tv series now.

I don't see that happening either. Like Gamera said, there is the possibility of Kirk making an appearance in 'Enterprise' but I'm sure there will be no more movies for Kirk..Especially since they seem to want to do the prequel thing..

I doubt he wants to distance himself from Trek, he's trying to get on Enterprise now. Not to mention he is still writing Trek novels.

265526[/snapback]

Last I heard his business with ENT didn't come to fruition.

I found this:

Shatner, Nimoy Collaborate On Independent Film

By Michelle

September 22, 2004 - 4:17 PM

William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy have teamed up to make a time-travel film about the future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk in Iowa.

The Iowa City Press-Citizen reported that the actor had arrived fresh from his Emmy Award victory in Riverside, the self-adopted future birthplace of Kirk. Invasion Iowa, co-written by Shatner and Nimoy, focuses on the theme of regret and the notion of traveling back in time to fix mistakes made in the past and utilizes the rural Iowa town of less than 1000 to create a small-town setting. The mayor's son is among the locals cast in speaking roles for the film.

"The movie is my passion," said Shatner, who said he had been pitching the film for a long time. The independent company Glacier Point Productions is financing the film, which will shoot in Riverside through September 30th. Shatner's publicist said that the film had a budget of $4 million and would film at the local Red Barn stage, St. Mary's Church and Murphy's Bar & Grill, putting about a million of the film's dollars into the Iowa economy.

Riverside is the home of Trek Fest, where fans gather each June to celebrate the not-yet-born Captain Kirk. Seven area residents were cast in the movie, while others will appear as extras. Priceline.com will make a documentary of the filming for the DVD release.

"We finally got Captain Kirk to Riverside," said former Riverside council member Steve Miller. "It is wonderful."

The original news item is HERE.

From Trek Today.

:rolleyes: Sounds cool but will the fans accept is cannon? I probably will until/unless something truly cannon comes along to dispute it.

Hmm, I was just reading something at a related link:

The film itself has nothing to do with Star Trek, Carrasco said.

I don't get it, :rolleyes: Is he just using Iowa as the setting for a non-trek film because of the built in connection we fans will likely make thus insuring the films success? <_< Figures if true.

I've never heard Shatner say he wants to distance himself form Star Trek, you can tell he loves it. I very much doubt we'll see him in another movie, definately not the next one anyway.

Though James Kirk is one of the best-known Trek characters, I think William Shatner has become obsessed. He played the character of Kirk for over 30 years or so, and when the character died, he goes and writes a book that bring Kirk back to life. People die, even in the Star Trek universe. Shatner needs to realize this and just let it go.

Hmmm...There is a strong following that would like to see Kirk return. SCIFI doesn't require that people die... It's SCIFI! Superman didn't die; there really isn't a need for that. If everything had to be proven or within *everyday parameters*, SCIFI would never have come into existance in the first place. Saying that it has to be *real* and coincide with life is saying that Jeff Goldblum couldn't become the Fly; the Ghostbusters would have to check into a psych hospital and that Superman couldn't fly...because, well....people can't fly! This is SCIFI!! :flowers: There are no boundaries and there are no limits except those that you place on it yourself. Whatever you are capable of believing is what makes it enjoyable for you. There are many that believe that the return of Captain Kirk is both possible, plausible and

an asset to the series, including the Enterprise production/writing staff. Captain Kirk had said in "Undiscovered Country" that some people feel that the future involves forgetting history. SCIFI fans, more than most other types of fans know that there is a fine line between history and the future and at some point it is difficult to discern one from the other. I believe that Kirk's return can be accomplished and done well. The current producers of Trek feel the same and the only boundary between it happening and not, at this point, is money.

An idea to return Kirk has become so desired, within the current Enterprise creative crew that negotiations are going on to do it. That Kirk's return has value to the current Trek is no longer in dispute. The amount that they will pay inorder to effect it is all that is in the way at this point!

Heron

I can understand the concept of Kirk returning when the idea behind that is that some sort of temporal event occurned that sent the Kirk (given Shatner's age, most likely the Kirk that lived between the events of ST6 and the beginning of Generations) back in time to the period of the Enterprise-NX, but having him return in any other way after the events of Generations would just be a little over-borad. Kinda like when that guy on Dallas died, and then his wife woke up.

I do know that it started out that Shatner had an *idea*. Then he offerred it and they loved it. :flowers:

Whatever it is.... it works for the man who played Captain Kirk and it works for the new creative staff. It , also, likely works for Nimoy who has been giving a fun grin when asked what he knows...If the $ can be worked out, it's safe to say that we're in for one heck of a fantastic season! :flowers:

Heron

I really hope they don't bring James Kirk back to life some how on Enterprise. Why? Because it would destroy his novels. In his novels, Kirk is brought back to life by the Borg. If the crew of the Enterprise finds a way to bring him back, it will kill the novels like I said. And I don't want that to happen, I love he Shatner Trek series too much. But I'd love to see Shatner on Enterprise, but just not as James T. Kirk.

Since the idea that brought about the present negotiations *IS* Shatner's , and he was excited enough about it , to present it; and they were excited enough about it to go into negotiations, it's got to be a heck of a story :( . Moreover, he has authored the novels. There is NO ONE who would find it more painful than the author of those novels, to have Kirk's return veer too terribly. There is no one who will care more about that than the author of those very novels; therefore there is no one more appropriate to do it in the best way possible; ALL things considered.!

He should not have died, but it can be fixed . There is no one whose heart is more deeply linked to the Kirk character than the man who played him. How much luckier could we be ?? :) Who loves a book more than it's writer does ? :P

Heron

He has at least one more book that will be coming out of his Trek series called "Captains Victory". I agree with what you said. If they do try to bring James Kirk back to life on Enterprise, hopefully Shatner will figure out a way that it will be close to his books. I just hope he's really careful and takes his Trek novel fans into consideration when he is on Enterprise.

It's sad about the "Invasion Iowa" project being a scam. If you don't know, it turns out that he wasn't filming a movie with Leonard Nimoy at all, he was really doing a reality show for Spike TV that will come on tv next year. It will show the citizens of the town and their acting abilities in auditions among other things.

Like I already said, I could see James Kirk coming back on Enterprise. But only as long as the James Kirk came back from a period in time between ST 6 and Generation. For instance, if Kirk, on the way home to have the Enterprise-A decomissioned, fell into some sort of temporal rift, I could see that. As long as he returned in timer for Generations. Anything else, I would be severely dissappointed.

Returning him *in time for Generations* is ok, as long as it goes beyond that and remedies his death. *I* will be "severely disappointed" if his character isn't returned in a way that brings him back into the Trek universe. Should it be a tie-in to the novels...which I agree are really GREAT...that would be the best of the best and I am with you in hoping for this! Continuity is something that has made Trek a *universe* in itself. I agree that I'd rather not see it violated. BUT, there are so many ways to bring him back in such a way that the novels aren't violated that I'd be truly amazed if he didn't think of one :)

Christopher Reeve left with some amazing legacies.. one of which, of course, being Superman. His character lives on as a true SCIFI legacy. I wish the same for James T. Kirk. It is my hope that all of his wisdom, fairness , appreciation and thirst for what * is out there* , will live on for all of time. And I do believe that Captain Kirk is not only a character but an attitude towards the future and the unknown... ; someone to be emulated. He's somewhat an *advertisement*; paving the way for a future mindset towards a better world! :P

I love my soapbox! Forgive the bubbles... :( but they're worth the effort, plus, they are *my way* :(

Heron

He'll never do another Trek movie.

Killing his character was a mistake anyway and was only done because Berman wanted to give the finger to the Original Series and to everything Trek stands for, which he despises so much.

:laugh:

I wouldn't be so hard on Berman at this point. He's come a long way in admitting that Kirk's return could be a really good thing...and then acknowledging that there is *a way*. That in itself is a step forward, a HUGE step forward. If the man who played the character can get around the past, and look towards the future with new ideas and enthusiasm for this; that being harder for him than anyone else... then I can too!

All it's down to is money, now. Both sides, working together, is the only thing that will accomplish this.

If there's a small deviation from current Trek or even an extrapolated but slightly diverted or expanded upon fact from the books, I'll give him that. Since some of the past has already been altered, such as our first contact with klingons/Romulans/Andorians , it would be hard not to violate something. It's hard to please everyone , but I'm sure that he can accomplish it better than most, as he has worked around that in his books for many years :laugh:

Bottom line , for me, is that if the story is good, Kirk is himself... ; his death UNDONE, and I am left with some futuristic mental *magic* to ponder... and a positive direction is paved, I will be satisfied.

Heron

I would like to see Kirk on ENT but I would prefer if he were playing one of Kirk's ancestors not Captain Kirk himself. I think that it would work much better that way. ENT has a great opportunity to allow alot of the characters from other series to appear as the ascestors of their already famous characters.

I really believe that those who want Kirk returned and feel that he shouldn't have died in the first place will remain dissatisfied if they don't undo the death of Kirk . It would be so sad and quite an epitaph for the original fandom to be offerred a solution that doesn't remedy the problem. Many of the original fans have left, as they've felt that Trek has not continued as they knew it prior...and many more may leave, and that's so unnecessary!

I don't mean that *everyone* has to agree that this is important. But it's just as easy to return him ; satisfy the fans who felt that it was wrong to let him die....and bridge a gap between the original and newer version of Star Trek. It will , also,provide some assurance that the message that the original fans are trying to convey , has been heard.

Sometimes, like in the case of George and Gracie, nothing will do but the real thing!

I know that they're trying.... I just hope that they understand what it is that the original fans are asking for. Again, everyone doesn't have to agree.

Heron

Edited by Heron

I love TOS but those characters cannot live for ever and the stories remain believable. Death sucks but it remains a fact of life and Trek should not find a way to immortality. What will happen then the actors really die?

They haven't left ENT only because they can't bring Kirk back; they are dissatisfied with its writing. Tptb tried but Shatner wants to break the bank with his fee. What kind of episode would it be if the largest part of the budget went to him?

(If he'd just take scale for the love of it then) I'd rather have Shatner play a Kirk ancestor because another thing the fans left for is the over playing of time travel on ENT, that needs to stop.

I love TOS but those characters cannot live for ever and the stories remain believable. Death sucks but it remains a fact of life and Trek should not find a way to immortality. What will happen then the actors really die?

They haven't left ENT only because they can't bring Kirk back; they are dissatisfied with its writing. Tptb tried but Shatner wants to break the bank with his fee. What kind of episode would it be if the largest part of the budget went to him?

(If he'd just take scale for the love of it then) I'd rather have Shatner play a Kirk ancestor because another thing the fans left for is the over playing of time travel on ENT, that needs to stop.

276935[/snapback]

- - - - --

I don't think that SCIFI necessarily has dictated who can or can't be brought back and that it must coincide with *real life* . Man can't really fly...but Superman can.

People can't turn into large green angry beings whose clothes rip off because their anger increased their size...but the Hulk can. Bionics haven't matured to the point that you see people running a hundred miles an hour or hearing things that shouldn't be audible, ine veryday life..I haven't seen any men turn into flies and no one has gotten a wound injury causing immortality and genius and went to live on another planet...It's SCIFI; you think outside of the box..outside of what is comfortable or known.

I agree that both sides should make every effort.

I don't know of anyone who has left Trek because of the time travel thing.I guess that you do, but I haven't heard of it. I've heard disillusionment over the non adherance to Trek canon. If something changes, it needs to be explained and factored in. Changes can be made , as you cannot have a universe with endless possibilities functioning in a static environment. With the ability to change things, comes the probability that it will happen. If explained well, that's ok....but that hasn't been the case.If time travel were the mode of Kirk's return, though I really don't know , I'm sure that he wrote it well.

There are a lot of fans who will be really disappointed if his death isn't undone; myself included. If an ancestor of his comes in, I might watch those episodes, out of curiosity ; not out of enthusiasm.Watching out of curiosity, only,isn't how it should be; that isn't what has sustained Trek. People didn't stop what they were doing , arrange their plans and gather around to watch episodes out of curiosity; it was the magic....and, for me, and for others, curiosity won't be enough. Actually, the return of James T. Kirk won't be enough to sustain it... but I will watch and I will drop everything to do so, as will many others.

I agree that the writing must improve ...but the return of a character that was and is loved by the original series fans, James T. Kirk, is not only a gesture but a symbol to those fans that have held out for all of this time;a sign that what had been revered, remains so ; namely, the legend of James T. Kirk and the magic that came with the mindset that he introduced.

Yes, they are trying... and as I've admitted, that's a huge step:)

Heron

Edited by Heron