Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ The Lightening ~

Does this sound like something anyone would be interested in reading? I am thinking of sharing the writing with one or two other members. It will be about the Earth losing it's magnetic field and thus losing gravity. Please reply if you think this could be an interesting story.

This story will be about "New Earth". It will be different version of the original Star Trek VOYAGER episode called "Resolutions". If you don't remember it here is the synopsis we will be working from:

During an away mission, Janeway and Chakotay are bitten by an insect that infects them with an incurable virus. When the Doctor can't treat them, the two officers resign themselves to remaining on the planet, which has an environment that blocks the progression of the terminal disease. After supplies are beamed to them from Voyager, Janeway gives the crew orders to proceed to the Alpha Quadrant and puts Tuvok in command of the ship.

The decision to leave the Captain and First Officer behind weighs heavily on the crew, and they urge Tuvok to rendezvous with a Vidiian convoy, knowing that the aliens' advanced medical knowledge might include a cure for the virus. Tuvok refuses; Janeway has forbidden the crew to contact the untrustworthy Vidiians, renowned for their willingness to murder involuntary organ donors in their ongoing battle against the Phage.

On the planet, Janeway works to develop a cure for the virus while Chakotay tries to make their lives comfortable. After a violent plasma storm strikes the planet and her research equipment is destroyed, she must come to grips with the fact that they are unlikely to ever leave this world. On Voyager, Tuvok realizes that sometimes a Captain must disobey an order for the welfare of his crew. He contacts the Vidiians and asks them to put Voyager in touch with the Vidiian physician Denara Pel, a close friend of the Doctor's. Pel quickly responds and offers to share the cure to the mysterious virus. They arrange a rendezvous for the next day.

~~~~ THIS IS WHERE WE CHANGE THE STORY. WE HOPE YOU LIKE IT ~~~

As Janeway and Chakotay draw closer to each other, responding to the intimacy of their situation, Voyager goes to meet the Vidiians. But it's a trap, and the ship comes under a punishing assault. In the midst of the attack, Dr. Pel contacts the Doctor and offers the serum. Tuvok is able to drop the shields long enough for them to retrieve it and to eject an antimatter container from the ship. Then they fire a torpedo at the container and the resulting explosion incapacitates the Vidiian ships long enough for Voyager to escape. Tuvok retrieves the Captain and Chakotay, who resume command of Voyager and return to their traditional relationship.

{I will play the part of Janeway and Fenriz will be Chakotay.}

Janeway and Sam, the monkey she has met in the forest many times before, met again after this last plasma storm. Sam has grown to trust Janeway and seems to think of her as family. "Hi Sam, and how are you doing today?" She said to him as she approached him in the small clearing in the forest. Sam responded in his usual way, a greeting of sorts, by pounding on his chest and screaming softly. Janeway offered him a bit of her ration pac and he took it, sniffed it, then ate it. They sat next to each other on a large rock, just enjoying the sun and sharing a meal.

Janeway noticed a rusteling in the bushes as did Sam. When out of the brush came another chimp, smaller than Sam, followed by two obviously young ones. Janeway stood up as Sam ran over to them. "And who are they Sam?" She asked him. Again he pounded on his chest and gave a large grin." Oh Sam, this must be your mate and your babies!!!" Sam began to jump up and down as did the other three. Janeway smiled and picked up Sam's babies, two girls, as Janeway took a quick look to determine. The screaming and jumping went on for a while. You know how monkeys are.

It was only a moment before the two little primates discovered that Janeway was fun to climb on. When Chakotay found them a few moments later he had to laugh out loud at the sight of Captain Janeway trying, but not too hard, to control the girls as they climbed all over their new 'Jungle Gym.'

"Look Chakotay, Sam has a family." Janeway said.

"I can see that." Chakotay answered with his usual handsome smile. Looking at Janeway in a very suggestive way. She caught herself looking at him in that same way, but quickly stopped and assumed her superior attitude, reluctantly.

One of the monkeys jumped from Janeway to Chakotay and began searching through his pockets. Her sister saw what she was doing and wasn't about to be left out. Janeway laughing until she was in tears, Chakotay tried in vain to fend off the tiny hands of the two little pick-pockets, but their nimble fingers outmatched him.

Edited by Jeanway

Finding a tricorder one of the pair scampered away with her prize. Her sister chased her and the two fought over it for a few moments before their mother fussed at both of them. Sam then led his family up a tree where they began picking at the fruit that grew from it. Chakotay had failed to retrieve his tricorder.

Chakotay had been practicing his woodworking skills since he and Janeway had been forced to stay behind on 'New Earth' and the latest thing he had decided to build was a table and two chairs. The tricorder had a few designs that Chakotay had been considering on it.

Since his tricorder was jettisoned from a tree branch and bounced off his head, Chakotay checked all the settings to make sure it was still operable. It was, no harm done. "Good" He said to himself.

"Should we be getting back now?" Janeway asked him. "I have some experiments I need to check on right about now." Chakotay answered. "Anything you say Catherine, your the boss." He answered, again with his sweet smile. "Let's go then." She answered. They yelled a good-bye to their little friends up in the trees, who probably were off a half a kilometer by now and they headed back to camp.

Edited by Jeanway

Thanks jaz. We'll see :) We write as we go. We have a basic idea where we are headed but, well, you'll see :laugh: We still have to have the little animals or big animals running about, don't we? :laugh: " Les Allussia" :nono:

Edited by Jeanway

As they walked through the forest the sound of falling water filled the air. A nearby waterfall which they frequently visited to bathe and wash clothes in the lagoon at the bottom of a small mountain. "I sure could use a bath." She said to him. "Yea, me too, it's been what three days now?" They both laughed as they changed their direction in the forest and headed for the mountain.

Chakotay pushed aside a low hanging branch and then held it back for Catherine, she smiled at him as she passed. "Thank you." she said.

"I've been meaning to ask you how your experiments were coming along?" Chakotay asked as they walked.

"I lost a lot of the equipment in the plasma storm but I do still have the data I've gathered." she explained. "Maybe some of it can be repaired." Chakotay suggested.

"Well, you know the lab I have here is very limited and my research on this virus we've contracted is in it's most elementary stage. I'm trying to determine what type of chemical environment this virus finds the most difficult to reproduce in. A sort of alkaline/acid based controlled environment. To see if perhaps there is something you and I can do to speed up our incubation period. I'm afraid we may spread this thing to the chimps now, they are as you know basically the same as we are, biologically. We MUST think of the children Chakotay." She said jokingly.

As the Vidiian struggled to regain it's systems Voyager went to warp. Tuvok had informed Janeway of the damage to Voyager during their exchange and how they had disabled the Vidiian vessel which had given them a chance to escape. The damage to Voyager was more than they expected and may mean they wouldn't get back to "New Earth" in the time they had agreed upon earlier. Janeway and Chakotay receive this news on the tricorder at the lagoon.

"Well, they have the antidote for the virus Catherine, that's one good thing. They'll be back, I'm sure of it. It just will take them a little longer than we thought." Chakotay said assuringly. "I know, your probably right. But I am still the Captain and that's a role hard to shake off your bones you know?" Janeway answered. "Tuvok can take care of Voyager. He has been in Starfleet longer than you or I have." Chakotay reasoned. "You're right." Janeway answered. Chakotay could tell from her tone that she wanted to be on her ship.

Edited by fenriz275

A voice comes over the tri-corder once again as it lays on Janeway's clothing in a pile on the grass next to the water's edge, she is in the lagoon batheing. Chakotay is as well but in a spot around a clump of shrubs out of view of Janeway. "Yes, I'm here. Tuvok is that you?" She scambeled out of the water and up to grassy area. She asked as she grabbed the tricorder and tried to cover herself with her shirt. "No, Captain, this is the Doctor." 'Yes, Doctor, what is it?" She asked. "How are your blood samples Captain? You are taking them everyday aren't you?" He asked. "Oh yes, I am." She said as she looked at the tips of her fingers. "Chaokotay and I are diligent about that Doctor." She replied. "And how are your viral counts?" He asked her. "Remaining constant." She answered. The Doctor continued. "I have been continuing my research and have found the virus decreases in number when exposed to a certain hormone. I would like to encourage you and Chakotay both to well, how shall I say this? Allow yourselves to feel the benefits of this little discovery by well engaging in a little, uh, um, romance." Janeway was taken aback with this. "Doctor, are you saying what I think your saying?" She asked. "I most assuredly am Captain, and until we can get back to you both this could prevent you two from succumbing to this virus." Janeway stood there silently for a moment then replied. " Advice taken and noted Doctor. I will discuss this with Chakotay. Thank you Doctor." Janeway set the tricorder down on the grass and went back into the water.

Janeway fininshed batheing in the lagoon and got dressed and went to their parting/meeting area. This is a spot where they go their own separate ways before they bathe. Chakotay was waiting there for her. "Did you have a nice bath Catherine?" He asked her. "Very nice, the water was warmer than usual, did you notice that?" She asked him. " Yes, yes I did. I wonder why." He added. " Your guess is as good as mine." She added.

As they walked back to camp, Janeway told Chakotay about her news from the Doctor. His eyes widened and a slight smile seemed to be stuck on his face. "Come on, we'd better do our blood right now." He agreed.

As Janeway pierced Chakotay's fingertip with a small lancet, he looked at her now in a different way. And she began to think about what the Doctor had told her. All these years that Janeway and Chakotay had served together on Voyager and never once had the possiblity of romance ever entered her mind. She was the Captain of her own ship, something she had wanted her entire career in StarFleet. She never once considered being anything else. The thought of 'romance' was reserved for Michael, back on Earth, eventhough she may never return, still was alive in her heart.

But now, under these extreme circumstances not only has it been encouraged but given almost as a direct order from her Doctor.

Edited by Jeanway

The days passed as usual here on "New Earth". Their routine of experiments for Janeway and Chakotay's insatiable desire to make a home for them continues. He has felled the trees with the phaser that he needed to make the table and chairs and worked diligently at this project. Making the pegs and the holes in the wood to secure the pieces together. He used a flat rock with sand to hand rub the edges of each piece and finally he was finished. He kept everything out of Catherine's sight until he was finished. "Come with me." He said to her one afternoon as she hunched over the microscope. " I have something to show you." He added. They left her module and between the two modules there sat the table and the two chairs. On the back of each chair he had carved out an initial, a large scrolled letter 'C' on each. Janeway put her hands up to her mouth and examined the three pieces of furniture. " Oh, Chakotay. You did a wonderful job on this." She said. Chakotay just beemed with pride. "So your pleased then?" He asked her. "Pleased isn't the word, I'm delighted." She answered. For a moment their eyes met. But this time it was different than before. The Doctor's instructions flooded their minds and just for a brief moment the thought of touching each other was there. They held hands.

After a full day of work for Chakotay around camp. And experiments and some gathering of roots and berries for Janeway, she decided she was going to make a special meal for them to enjoy together at their new table and chairs. She fussed about in the kitchen of her module. Containers of dried replicator rations were cooked in pots of steaming water. She added spices and cooked the roots. Added bits of meat from Chakotay's hunting expeditions, she made a lovely stew for them both. She set the table while he still worked on one of his latest projects, a well, latrine, well away from camp. She waited for him to return then suggested a walk to the lagoon and a bath before dinner. "Good idea." He said. "And we need to refill our water supply while we are there too." He added.

They dragged the small wagon he had made, filled with empty water containers towards the lagoon. As they walked on the well worn path, something odd happened. With each small bump all the containers landed on the ground. They had to stop repeatedly to put them back on the wagon. This had never happened before and they were puzzeled. But they laughed it off, attributed it to some mysterious, invisible being playing tricks on them and continued on their way.

After they bathed and filled the water jugs they went back to camp. " I've made us something special this evening to christen our new table Chakotay." She told him as they walked back. "I can't hardly wait." He answered with a twinkle in his dark eyes.

Edited by Jeanway

Chakotay had another surprise for Catherine. He had fashioned out of a small stone he found in the forest a candle of sorts for the table. He collected pitch from the trees' bark and had set it on the table before they left earlier that evening. The sun was going down now behind the trees, Chakotay lit the candle as Janeway went to the kitchen to get the hot bowls of stew.

She came back to see him sitting there waiting for her. The light from the candle flickered in his eyes. She set the bowls down and said to him. "I hope you like this."

"It smells wonderful, Catherine."

Chakotay stood up as she was sitting the bowls down on the table. He pulled Catherine's chair out for her. As she sat down she brushed Chakotay's arm with her hand and let it linger there for a second. After Catherine sat down Chakotay took his seat across from her. The candle gave off a light, pleasant smell as it burned. It mixed with the aroma from the stew and filled the small room of the module.

They ate slowly and talked of days back when they were both children. The relationships they had in the past and what they had planned out their respective lives were to be like. After they had both had enough stew, Chakotay had requested a second bowl, which Janeway got for him and she also brought back another bowl, filled with berries and set it down in the center of the table.

Catherine ate the berries, one by one as Chakotay finished his stew. Then he began to eat the berries as well. They watched each other, being careful not to reach for one at the same time. "I could see myself living here. It's not such a bad place to end up Catherine. A simple life. It's something I thought about a lot when I was fighting with the Maquis." Chakotay said. "Have you ever wanted to be something other than a starship captain?" he asked her.

"Not really." She answered. "The days I spend as a child watching the sky and longing to know what it would be like living out there. Then I met Michael and that tempted me to forget about it. But the desire was too strong and Michael understood and he said he would wait for me to be ready to settle down."

"But being here with you now, I am having second thoughts." She continued. Chakotay reached across the table and took her hand as she reached for a berry. When his hand touched hers she didn't pull away. "I'm glad this has happened Catherine. It's given us some time alone together."

As the evening turned to night, they both were getting sleepy. "Well, I'm going to bed now Chakotay." She told him as she cleared the table quickly and retreated to her module. Securing the door from the inside as she usually did. Chakotay said. "Good night, Catherine, Sweet Dreams". As she disappeared into her module.

The following morning Janeway was awake before dawn. She drank some water, heated some for a tea she made from leaves she found growing in the forest, strangely similar to mint on Earth. She dressed, made two cups and brought them out to the table. Chakotay was still sleeping. She could hear him snoring in his module. She laughed as she sat there and drank her tea and listened to that distinctive male serenade.

As she sat there she noticed that the usual achy back she had from her rock hard cot wasn't hurting. Every morning she struggles with it and does stretching exercises to alleviate the muscle knots. But today there were no such knots and no pain.She wondered why. She could hear Chakotay's snoring stop and him moving around in his module.

"Good Morning." She said in a loud voice.

"Morning Catherine." He answered from inside his module.

"Tea is ready here for you." She said.

"I'll be right out." He answered

Janeway watched the small birds that were abundant in this part of 'New Earth.' They spent every morning flying around the clearing where Janeway and Chakotay had made their home. The birds divided their time between pecking and scratching at the ground for insects and worms and sitting in the trees tweeting at one another. Their chirps and the sounds of Chakotay getting dressed in his module created an unusual symphony that made Janeway smile as she sipped her tea.

Janeway threw bits of cooked rice out for them as they landed one by one in front of her on the ground.Until a sort of "Gang" had collected there. As Chakotay opened the door of his module and stepped out it startled them and they all flew off.

As Voyager sped towards 'New Earth' Tuvok made certain that they kept the Vidiian ship on sensors as long as it was in range. There was no sign of pursuit when the Vidiian passed beyond the limit of Voyager's sensors. Tuvok wasn't convinced that the Vidiians would give up that easily. "Ensign Kim. Keep scanning for any sign of pursuit." Tuvok was in his quarters meditating when his suspicions were confirmed.

"Paris to Tuvok." Tuvok's com chimed.

"Tuvok here."

"We're reading two Vidiian ships on long range sensors." It was Lt Paris reporting.

"Have they detected us?" Tuvok asked as he stepped into the turbolift.

"I'm afraid so. They altered course as soon as we detected them. I think it's the same ship we ran into earlier. Apparently they've brought friends."

While Voyager was still capable of warp speeds the damage had restricted it to a maximum speed of warp 6.8. Not fast enough to outrun the Vidiians. Tuvok tapped his com-badge again.

"Tuvok to Lt Torres."

"Torres here."

"Lt Torres. Can you increase our warp speed? We are currently being pursued by two Vidiian vessels." Tuvok asked.

"I'll see what I can do but it's still a mess down here."

"I understand Lt, but we must stay ahead of those Vidiian vessels until we can find somewhere to make repairs."

"Understood. Torres out."

Tuvok stepped out of the turbolift onto the bridge. Lt Paris got up from the Captain's chair and took his usual seat at the helm.

"Put the two Vidiian vessels on the main screen." Tuvok commanded as he sat down. The two ships appeared on the viewscreen. "What is their current speed and distance?" he asked.

"They're currently 1.3 light years away and closing. They're current velocity is warp 7.5." Harry Kim answered.

The pursuing Vidiian ships were still some distance away. That bought the crew some time. Tuvok had called a command meeting to discuss the current situation. Belanna was reporting on the state of Voyager's repairs. "The weapons and shields are fully operational. Harry and I have even managed to boost shield strength by about 10 percent. As for the bad news, we're not going to get anymore speed out of the engines." Lt Torres had managed to increase Voyager's speed to warp 8. "I've squeezed all I can out of them without dropping out of warp for a while." Torres reported.

"We can turn and fight." Tom Paris suggested. Even he didn't think that was a good idea.

"If their was a single Vidiian ship, I might concur. But against two our odds of success are reduced." Tuvok explained. "Ensign Kim has also detected a third Vidiian vessel on long range sensors. The best course of action for us to take is to outrun them as long as we can."

Neelix felt compelled to ask the question they all had in mind. "But if our top speed is reduced can we stay ahead of the Vidiians? I mean they'll catch up to us eventually, won't they?"

"Not if we can hide from them." Tuvok said. "We've found a dark matter nebula on the edge of our sensor range." Harry said. On the viewscreen at the end of the room he pulled up the information that they had on the nebula. "Once inside the nebula we'll be undetectable to sensors. The Vidiians might follow us inside but they'll be just as blind as we will."

"And since we'll have to drop out of warp, we can get the engines repaired." Lt Torres added.

Tuvok considered the options for a brief moment but it was clear what the choice was. "Very well. Lt Paris set a course for the nebula. Lt Torres anything you can do to increase our speed would greatly increase our chances of reaching the nebula ahead of the Vidiians. Ensign Kim please assist her in engineering. Dismissed." As everyone filed out of the briefing room Neelix walked with Belanna and Harry to the turbolift.

"What happens if the Vidiians catch up to us before we reach the nebula.?" he asked. "It means will have a running fight on our hands." Belanna said. Neelix gulped. "I think I'll go see the doctor in sickbay. He might need a hand."

Edited by fenriz275

Janeway was constantly thinking about what was happening on Voyager. Knowing Tuvok as she did, she knew he would never put the ship or the crew in unnecessary danger.

Communication with the ship was sparse. Tuvok felt he was now in charge and didn't want to create unnecessary worry for either Janeway or Chakotay. This could inhibit their ability to fight the virus they were infected with.The Doctor advised him to keep their situation to himself. Tuvok explained to them during their next transmission that Voyager was going to head for a dark matter nebula where they could safely make repairs.The fact that the Vidiians were in pursuit was left out of that conversation.

"Well, it looks to me like we are going to be here alot longer than we had planned." She said to Chakotay as they went about their daily tasks. "Well, let's not dwell on something we can't do anything about Catherine." He answered.

"At least this will give you more time to study the virus." Chakotay said.

"I've been wanting to add a little onto the modules. If we're going to be here a while we might as well be comfortable." He added "Oh by the way." Jeanway said. "I've noticed in my data that our virus count is on the decline. Looks like the Doctor knew what he was talking about doesn't?" She asked him. They looked at each other and tried not to smile. "Well, it's that time again, give me your finger." She said. He rolled his eyes and stuck out his thumb.

Later that day Janeway was examining the blood samples she had taken. She had her samples and a microscope on the table Chakotay had made along with a tricorder. Occasionally she made a note or two on her PADD. Chakotay came over to her carrying two cups. "I thought you'd like a cup of tea." He said as he set the cup by her left hand and sat down across from her. He sipped on the second cup of tea as he made notes on a PADD that he took out of his pocket.

Janeway took a sip of her tea. She noticed that Chakotay was working on something that was on his PADD. Despite her curiosity she didn't ask him about it. Occasionally Chakotay would make a comment to himself, quietly. She tried to ignore this but at the same time she listened carefully, trying to make out what he was saying. It was only a few moments before she lost patience.

"Chakotay?" she said as she set her own PADD aside. "Yes?" he answered. "May I ask what you're working on?"

"Of course. I was actually hoping you would. I need your opinion on a few things." Chakotay slid his PADD across the table. Janeway picked it up. On it was a diagram of her module, except there was another structure built onto it. "What's this?" she asked.

"A labratory." Chakotay began. "I thought you'd like somewhere to conduct your experiments."

Janeway cycled through a few more diagrams on the PADD. They showed the interior and a few details of what would be her new laboratory. "I love it." she said. "You can really build this?" "It shouldn't be too hard." Chakotay answered.

"Yes, it is getting sort of cramped in my module lately what with all the specimens I bring in everyday. When could you start on this?" she asked him as she handed his PADD back to him.

"As soon as you'd like." Chakotay smiled at Janeway . Their fingers touched as he took his PADD from her. Janeway hoped she wasn't blushing.

Edited by fenriz275

Chakotay enjoyed working with wood. He began felling trees with his phaser almost immediately.

Janeway went back into her module and resumed her experiments. As she stood at the bench/vanity she used, in the mirror hanging in front of her she caught a glimpse of herself. She stepped back and looked again. "What tha??" She said to herself. Her long hair which she hadn't pinned up in her usual style that day was standing nearly sideways on her head. She smoothed it down with her hands only to watch it rise again. "CHAKOTAY??" She yelled."Yes Catherine?" He answered. "Can you come in here for a minute please?" Chakotay appeared at the doorway and began to laugh. "Stop it now and look at this." She said She smoothed it down again only to have it rise again.

Chakotay stood there watching Catherine fight with her hair. "I'm glad you think this is funny." She said. "Something is wrong here." "I'll say." Chakotay agreed. Janeway shot him a stern look but caught the sight of herself again in the mirror. She burst out laughing which only made Chakotay laugh harder. After several moments they were both struggling to catch their breath. "Seriously. We should take some scans." Janeway said between breaths. "Okay." Chakotay agreed. Holding a tricorder to her head he pretended to scan. "Stop it!" She shouted and they started laughing all over again.

When without any warning, out of the forest and into camp Sam ran, his mate and the two girls came screaming after him. Sam jumped into Janeway's arms and appeared to be frightened. The girls climbed up Chakotay as the Mama tried too do also. "What's the matter Sam?" Janeway said to him. He only kept screaming and looking back into the forest where they had just run from. "Chakotay, put them down and go take a look." She said to Chakotay. He pried the tiny hands off himself and placed the two babies on the ground at Janeway's feet. He pulled his phaser out from his belt and walked towards the forest. "Be careful now." Janeway yelled after him. "Don't worry Catherine, I'm a big boy." He answered.

Edited by Jeanway

Chakotay walked into the forest. He looked for any signs of predators, or anything else that might have frightened the monkeys.

As he walked he could hear in the distance other primates screaming. The rusteling of bushes all around him as other smaller animals were fleeing from this unknown danger.

Everything Chakotay could observe looked the way it always had. Until, he looked up.

The leaves on the trees above Chakotay were rustling, like they would if there was a strong breeze, but there was very little wind. To convince himself that he wasn't crazy he pulled his tricorder out of his pocket and scanned the area. His scans confirmed what he already knew. He reached up a plucked a leaf from one of the lower hanging branches and scanned it. There was nothing special about it, nothing to explain what was happening. He made detailed scans of the entire area. The trees, the ground, everything. Whatever was happening it was going to take some time to solve.

As he was taking a final scan he noticed that the leaves were no longer rustling and the animals had calmed down. A few birds had even begun to return to their perches over head. He watched them.

"I don't suppose you could explain to me what's going on?" he asked them. One of them just cocked it's head towards Chakotay and looked at him.

Thinking the incident was isolated and over with Chakotay turned around to walk back to camp, when pieces of brush and small bushes began to fall all around him. He looked up again and could see they had somehow risen to the high tree branches and were now falling. This could very well be what scared the monkeys out of their nest in the trees where they sleep. Small stones were also falling and pelting Chakotay on his head and shoulders.

Chakotay rushed back to camp to tell Janeway what he saw, and to get out from under the assault. Janeway and Chakotay went back into the forest together to gather some samples for analysis. "There seems to be one mystery after another on this planet." Chakotay remarked. He picked up a few small stones and put them in a small knapsack slung over his shoulder.

"I love a good mystery." Janeway said

Back in camp, they scanned and scratched and ground up the specimens.Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. Sam and his little family were reluctant to leave and decided they wanted to stay close to Janeway and Chakotay. Janeway not sure what the problem was decided that was acceptable. Sam decided to bed his family down inside Janeway's module at the foot of her cot, they all huddled together as the sun went down and went to sleep there for the night. Janeway and Chakotay sat at the table and ate until they both felt sleepy, then they went to their respective modules.

Early next morning Sam and his brood wandered quietly back into the forest. Janeway and Chakotay decide it was time for another trip to the lagoon for water and baths and headed out shortly after breakfast. Janeway put a tricorder in her pocket as they headed off. Chakotay made sure he had his phaser.

When they arrived at the Waterfall they were surprised to see that the entire area surrounding the lagoon looked as if there were a torrential rain there recently. Areas that had been dry were now soaked with water.well away from the waterfall.

There had been no storm the night before so this puzzled the both of them.

"I could understand this if we had a plasma storm, but the last one was weeks ago." Janeway said.

They decided with all this unusual activity going on they'd better stay closer together while they bathed. They didn't split up this time.

"O.K. now, turn your back, and don't peek." Janeway said to Chakotay. "You can turn around when I'm in the water, up to my neck." Janeway began to undress quickly, keeping an eye on Chakotay. He was an honorable man and didn't move a muscle.

"Alright, you can turn around." She yelled from the water.

Chakotay turned around. Janeway was up to her neck in the water. Chakotay waited until she had swam over to the waterfall, when she turned to face away from him he quickly undressed and dove into the lagoon.

Both up to their necks in the water they swam and splashed each other. Chakotay got a bit spirited and Janeway swam away from his furious splashing to right underneath the waterfall, which neither of them had done before.

"Hey, look at this." She called to him. He swam to the waterfall then swam through it to it's underside. The two watched the water fall in front of them and because the sun was now behind it they could see the enormous amount of spray that was being dispersed towards the banks soaking everything surrounding the lagoon.

"It looks like the water is floating through the air doesn't it?" She asked him." I mean more than just spray.I didn't know water could go up, did you?" They both laughed. "No I didn't." Chakotay agreed. "I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before." "You think all these strange things happening are connected?" She asked him."I think they are. There are too many unusual things happening on this planet for it all to be unrelated." He answered. The sunlight streaming down through the mist created a rainbow that arched across the lagoon. "Look at that." Chakotay marveled. " Beautiful, isn't it? Just like Home." She answered.

"I'm ready to go, are you?" She asked him. "Yes, it is getting close to mealtime and I'm getting hungry, let's get these containers filled and go back." Janeway left the water first, leaving Chakotay behind the waterfall. "No peeking now." She said to him as she dove under the waterfall. She swam to the bank , climbed out and grabbed her clothes and hid behind a bush, well out of sight of Chakotay to dress."Alright, I'm dressed, come on." She yelled to him. He dove under and came up on the other side of the waterfalll and swam to the bank. Crouching over like a big ape he grabbed his clothes and dove behind a bush."OH!" Janeway screamed. "Sorry, I didn't know this bush was occupied." He said to her as he clutched his clothes in front of himself. Jeanway turned quickly and walked away allowing him to dress in privacy.

Walking out from behind the bushes, Chakotay finished buttoning up his shirt. There was a small stream that ran from the lagoon through the forest. The water tumbled over rocks. Janeway was down at it's bank holding a jug under a small waterfall. Chakotay picked up one of the empty jugs and began filling it from the brook. "We'd better have designated bushes from now on, don't you think?" Janeway said, slightly giggeling.

They continued filling the jugs until all ten of them were filled and set onto the wagon. He began to pull it and they went back to camp along the path. "I think the simple life is agreeing with me." Chakotay remarked. "I seem to remember the wagon feeling heavier than this." "Yes, I know what you mean. Years on a Starship takes it's toll. Look at this." Janeway flexed her bicep. "Here feel this, strong as Titanium." He gave her arm a pinch then pretended to shudder." I don't want you mad at me, you'll kill me with one hand." He said. They both laughed.

The cart ran over a rock on the path and one of it's wooden wheels came down onto the path with a jolt, sending several of the water jugs bouncing out of the cart. Janeway and Chakotay loaded them back into the cart. "I think our water jugs are trying to escape." Chakotay said. Janeway smiled at him.

They both walked back to the camp, unloaded the wagon and decided it was time to eat. As they ate, Janeway mentioned to Chakotay about her back not hurting in the morning. He mentioned that his didn't hurt either anymore."Perhaps we are just getting in better shape." She said. "I know I'm not as tired the past week as I have been since we arrived." She added."Do you think this could have something to do with all of the other strange things that have been happening?" Chakotay asked."You know, I'm really starting to wonder about all this." She answered then got up from the table, cleared it and brought the plates and cups to her module to wash. When she went inside, it looked to her like she had been burgeled.

"Chakotay. Come in here." She called to him. "What in the world?" He exclaimed as he looked around Janeway's module. Immediately she thought of Sam. In her forgiving way she dismissed this and cleaned up all the items that she found on her cot and on the bench out of place. "It's alright, he probably thinks of this as his home now too, I'll have a little talk with Sam." They both laughed as Janeway patted Chakotay's shoulder softly.

Chakotay went to his module and found it also in a state of complete disarray. He shook his head and chuckled to himself. Aside from the mess nothing broken, but he just couldn't figure out how Sam or any other of the monkeys had gotten inside.

The days passed without another unusual incident or any new communication from Voyager. Sam and his little family didn't return to camp either. Things seemed to be returning to normal for Janeway and Chakotay. They have been on "New Earth" now for nearly two months. Their intimate situation, along with the advice given by the Doctor which encouraged them to explore their instincts about each other played a large part in both of their behaviors towards each other.

Their feelings for each other became more obvious. And with little else to distract them they grew closer together. Janeway confirmed the Doctor's prediction concerning the decrease in viral activity in their blood by her daily test of Chakotay and herself.

It was the middle of the night. Janeway was asleep in her module, Chakotay asleep in his. Something woke Janeway up. But she didn't know what it was. A noise? A bad dream? She didn't know so she tried to go back to sleep. As she lay there awake in the dark she felt a slight vibration which lasted a few seconds then stopped. This alarmed her so she left her cot and went to Chakotay's module. "Are you awake?" She asked through the secured door. She could hear him snoring so she left and went back to her module, secured the door and went back to sleep.

The following morning, as the sun rose over the tree-tops, Janeway was busy in the kitchen preparing breakfast for them both. She heard Chakotay in his module moving around and the sounds of a frustrated Chakotay talking to himself. As she brought the the two plates of food she had made out to the table, which was between the two modules, she heard him. "Is something wrong?" She said loudly. "No, Catherine, I'm just having trouble finding something, I'll be right there." He told her.

A loud "AHA!" came from Chaotay's module and he appeared at his door holding a small container in his hand. He walked over to Janeway who was sitting at the table and offered it to her. "What's this?" She asked him. " I remembered I had this but forgot about it until this morning. It was in the bottom of my storage locker." She took it from his hand and opened the top. "COFFEE!!" She screamed. "You've been holding out on me." She said slyly. "No, I just forgot about it." He assured her. Janeway jumped up from her seat and hurried to her module to make two cups.

When she came back, a cup of steaming hot coffee in each hand, she set one down in front of Chakotay as he ate. Then she sat down. She savored each sip. Her eyes rolled as she drank the delicious, black liquid. Chakotay watched her and waited until she was finished to speak.

Edited by Jeanway

As Janeway finished her coffee and set the empty cup down in front of her, she looked over at Chakotay who had an odd look on his face. "Is there something on your mind?" She asked him. "Well, as a matter of fact Catherine, there is." He answered. "Well, come on, tell me." She quipped. "Alright, I was waiting for the right time to tell you this, but I feel the need, an urgent and compelling need to finish my Vision Quest." He said. Janeway taken aback by this answered. "And you want to do this here, now?" She asked. "It's not that I want to leave you Catherine, but I feel compelled right at this time to do this, I was hoping you would understand and agree." He continued. Janeway, not sure how she was feeling about this, sat back for a few moment to ponder this request. "If you don't think I should, I won't do it." He said. Janeway answered him. " Chakotay, I'm not sure How I feel about this. You'd be gone for what three days, maybe longer?" She asked. "No, three days and I Will come back. And I will leave signs along the way so if you need to find me it will be easy for you." He concluded. Janeway sat silently. "So that's what the coffee was about, a little bribery in mind Chakotay?" She said jokingly. Chakotay just smiled at her.

"Let me get your blood right now before you go." She said to him as she cleared away the plates and cups from the table. "I have alot of specimen gathering planned for today too, so I should get going. she returned with a small metal tray and set it down on the table. "O.K., which finger will it be today?" She asked him. He stuck out a pinky. Jeanway pierced Chakotay's finger then squeezed a drop on a slide. The she pierced her own and did the same. "Alright then, Catherine?" He asked. " I can go with your blessing, right?" He asked. "Yes, go, I'll be fine. Do you need my help with anything?" She asked. "No, since I won't be eating or drinking for three days all I need is my blanket to sit on. I think I can manage that on my own." They both laughed. Then he stood and kissed her on the cheek. She returned the kiss on his.

Chakotay headed off into the forest towards the nearby mountain where they went to to bathe and fill their water containers. As he walked he made sure he left signs for Catherine to follow if she need to find him. Snapping tree branches and digging arrows in the dirt with his foot. Chakotay was heading to the top of the mountain in search of his Spirit Guide and inner enlightenment and peace. Off in the distance he could hear the monkeys jumping and screaming to each other in the trees. Occasionally seeing them jump from branch to branch in search of fruit.