Sign in to follow this  
cyphrx

Klingon Food

I always wondered how Klingon food was prepared and what ingrediants were used to make it since most of props used were obviously edible. Any ideas?

Lots of raw anything, preferably freshly killed. From everything I've seen Klingons don't really take the time to cook much of anything. And I've always wondered whose blood was in the bloodwine? The blood of their enemies? One recipe, kind of anyway, is one I posted at the Klingon Embassy. If you take a can of bamboo shoots, dye them red with some food coloring and place it all on a plate with some mexican jumping beans underneath, it looks like a plate of real Gagh. I placed some on a buffet table once during a party and to see the looks on some people when I told them what it was suppossed to be and them ate some, was absolutely priceless.

I remember the food prop guy talking about this on one of the TNG DVD special features but I can't remember what season. He talked about how careful he had to be so that the actors could actually eat the food. It was really interesting. Still some of the foods look so gross I don't know how they did it (example those maggots in Conspiracy) :oops:

If you want to make some “Gagh” looking food here is a recipe from the “Star Trek Cookbook”:

1-pound package thick Japanese udon noodles (whole wheat is best), soba noodles, or Chinese or Thai rice noodles

4 ounces prepared sesame salad dressing or Chinese chicken

salad dressing or tahini

1/4 cup soy sauce or light soy sauce

1 teaspoon dark brown Karo syrup, if you fid it necessary for color

Prepare the noodles per the package instructions, replacing one-half the water with the soy sauce. Chill. Then stir through quarter-cup soy sauce and sesame salad dressing. Add Karo syrup and stir through to satisfy your own sense of color and taste, and there you have it: gagh!

--“Star Trek Cookbook” Ethan Phillips & William J. Birnes Pocket Books

Can’t beat some good old gagh! :wub:

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

call me a klingon, but I will try anything, if I dont like it then i would spit it out, but I will try it at least. :laugh:

Thanks Master_Q I had not heard about the cookbook. I may have to locate a copy to try some things for parties.

Lots of raw anything, preferably freshly killed.  From everything I've seen Klingons don't really take the time to cook much of anything.  And I've always wondered whose blood was in the bloodwine?  The blood of their enemies?  One recipe, kind of anyway, is one I posted at the Klingon Embassy.  If you take a can of bamboo shoots, dye them red with some food coloring and place it all on a plate with some mexican jumping beans underneath, it looks like a plate of real Gagh.  I placed some on a buffet table once during a party and to see the looks on some people when I told them what it was suppossed to be and them ate some, was absolutely priceless.

:laugh::bow::wow::wow::D