Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Section 38

Section 38 (i'm not sure if that's right) were pretty cool. A sort of Federation version of the Tal'Shiar and Obsidian Order. Would you have liked to have seen them developed a bit more? Used more? They were great - it showed the Federation could be dirty as well. Not so goody goody. Do you think they will feature in Enterprise? Heres hoping...

It was actually section 31, and I think they were developed just enough. The whole idea was to suddenly realize that there was this shadowy organization that existed on your side and that they were just as bad as the bad guys you were fighting. Not knowing more about them was just fine. As for being on Enterprise, at this point in time the Federation doesn't yet exist so I don't believe that section 31 has been born.

I think section 31 is a pretty accurate representation of EVERY govt on the earth today.....but you've got to fight fire with fire don't ya !!!

I thought it was a great idea to introduce section 31. I hope that if there is a future series of st that follows the current time-line of the movies, that section 31 would be utilized often

I’m kind of in the middle of my feelings of Section 31 and its role in the Star Trek Universe. There is a part of me that likes the idea and there is a part of me that does not.

One thing that kind of don’t like is the fact that a large (but not a majority or at least I would hope not) of Starfleet seems to turn a blind eye on them. I always thought that people of the Federation would be above because of the time and advancements in society. Yes it is true that it is a minority, but the thing that kind of got me is that Starfleet turns a blind eye on them. Section 31 uses terrorist tatisics in some view (I’m not saying completely). Please don’t get me wrong I know I might be stretching the envelope a bit . . . I know that so please don’t take me wrong on what I’m saying.

Of course I know that there has to be some kind of central intelligent agency and all of that. But because Section 31 gets the blind eye from its government it really is a agency of the Federation (in a way) and some of there ways of force like giving there enemy a disease to kill them all is genocide and that’s something I don’t think a moral person can really overlook.

But I do like the idea of Section 31 in some grounds. I just wish that they were taken and brought into the show in a different way.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I think we are going to see the creation/proof of existence of Section 31 on ENT. When I first heard of them I was shocked. At the time, based on what I thought I understood about the Fed. and the times it existed in, an origination like section 31 seemed to diminish the Utopian feel I had about Trek, but as Spock told Valeris in ST6 "All things change" and that is certainly true in regards to Trek.

I wonder if Section 31 was created with the idea in mind, ENT was coming soon and there would be the opportunity to explain and justify the Black Op. Based on the upcoming threat I've read about in spoilers to the season finale, a justification may be close at hand.

In the times we live in, the world is a big and dangerous place in which originations (even secret one's) must exist in order to provide security to the people, in Treks time the same is true, the Galaxy is a big and dangerous place, therefore I feel section 31 is justified.

i think that in any kind of civilization, to keep your way of life, your gonna need something like sectioin 31. they should be regulated to a point somehow, but you gotta fight fire with fire to survive sometime.

I think we are going to see the creation/proof of existence of Section 31 on ENT.

I don't think we should see the proof of their exsistance on ENT. As I said on the ENT message board if we see them, which would be really cool, No one except the vewiers should find out who they really are. If Archer or anyone else found out about them they would expose them immedietly.

Was Section 31 part of the Federation charter or part of Star Fleets charter? It was my belief that Section 31 pre-dates the Federation and therefore could already exist.

After reading this thread I watched the 1st episode Section 31 was in and in it they do say it goes back to the original Starfleet charter. So section 31 is already in existance by the time of Archer, now the question is should we see something of them now or not.

Was Section 31 part of the Federation charter or part of Star Fleets charter?

Wait, I didn’t know there was a difference between Starfleet Charters and Federation Charters. I must have missed that part or forgotten, where was this spoken of?

After reading this thread I watched the 1st episode Section 31 was in and in it they do say it goes back to the original Starfleet charter. So section 31 is already in existance by the time of Archer, now the question is should we see something of them now or not.

Agreed, the question of whether or not it existed in the time of Archer has now been answered but WHEN during the time of Archer, does it already exist, or is it’s creation still in the near future or does that not really matter?

Since it's part of the original Starfleet charter I would have to say it was in existance as an entity even before the launch of the NX-01. We could come to find out that Reed is a member of Section 31 and has been so for some time. We know some of his background but correct me if I'm wrong, they have kept a lot of his past somewhat of a mystery. Remember the episode from season 1 where it was his birthday?

I think I'll be a little surprised if we see Section 31 but I wouldn't be shocked.

Something I just thought of, if Section 31 didn't exist before Broken Bow then the formation of it may stem from the Temporal Cold War.

Any thoughts on that?

Kevin, Your reply has taken me to a level of complexity for ENT I have never visited before, thank you! :D

Agreed. VBG's knowledge of Enterprise is constanting getting me thinking about things I never would have come up with on my own. Exactly the type of thing that makes these boards so great.

It might ALREADY be in existence, :D today!

That is a very interesting thought.

Section 31 is totally cool.

However, I don't think Section 31 will be involved in Enterprise. If it DOES appear, it won't be until very late in the series. Remember, Section 31 was a division of the Federation, not Starfleet itself. In the time period of Enterprise, the Federation doesn't even exist! Starfleet in that time is mostly exploratory. It doesn't need a super-secret Intelligence group (Section 31 is a branch of Federation Intelligence) because it is only associated with one alien species, the Vulcans.

However.... we have seen that the Vulcans have their oen little federation. For example, they have a Medical Species Exchange program with involves the Dunubulans. I'm sure they have their own super duper secret spy type agency. In fact, they already had a Section 31-type episode. Remember that one where T'Pol gets a letter that contains instructions to HUNT DOWN A RENEGADE VULCAN WHO DOESEN'T LOOK LIKE A VULCAN BUT REALLY IS A VULCAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, I AM good.

It doesn't need a super-secret Intelligence group (Section 31 is a branch of Federation Intelligence) because it is only associated with one alien species, the Vulcans.

I have to agree with VBG on this one, I just watched the DS9 Episode where Section 31 was introduced and it is stated that it was part of the original STARFLEET charter, not the Federation Charter, so I think it already exists. It would make sense for Starfleet to have included a provision for this sort of "agency" maybe Section 31 started out as a mostly internal affairs group and grew to the organization that we all know.

It doesn't need a super-secret Intelligence group (Section 31 is a branch of Federation Intelligence) because it is only associated with one alien species, the Vulcans.

I have to agree with VBG on this one, I just watched the DS9 Episode where Section 31 was introduced and it is stated that it was part of the original STARFLEET charter, not the Federation Charter, so I think it already exists. It would make sense for Starfleet to have included a provision for this sort of "agency" maybe Section 31 started out as a mostly internal affairs group and grew to the organization that we all know.

Exactly, it clearly says "Original Starfleet Charter" in the episode. Had the Federation been in place at the same time Starfleet was formed then prehaps Section 31 might never exist.

But at the time Starfleet was all there was (errr... will be) and Starfleet had to look out for the protection of the human race and do so "at any cost" and by "any means".

I like the idea of Section 31 for the same reason I love Deep Space Nine above all other Trek shows. Basically, it goes against the grain of the standard "Sterile/Utopia/Paradise-everywhere-you-look" settings we saw most of the time in all the other series.

To have a dark, sinister agency covertly based in an outwardly peaceful(sometimes "holier-than-thou") organization makes for some gripping storytelling.

I would have liked to have seen this intriguing agency earlier or more often. We can only imagine what great episodes could have been.

For example, what would Section 31 have been like in the mirror-universe? :o

Stingray

We could come to find out that Reed is a member of Section 31 and has been so for some time. We know some of his background but correct me if I'm wrong, they have kept a lot of his past somewhat of a mystery. Remember the episode from season 1 where it was his birthday?

I think I'll be a little surprised if we see Section 31 but I wouldn't be shocked.

13791[/snapback]

Seems like Reed's involvement with a shadowy organisation has been revealed recently..

post-812-1095566621.gif

We could come to find out that Reed is a member of Section 31 and has been so for some time. We know some of his background but correct me if I'm wrong, they have kept a lot of his past somewhat of a mystery. Remember the episode from season 1 where it was his birthday?

13791[/snapback]

Seems like Reed's involvement with a shadowy organisation has been revealed recently..

post-812-1095566621.gif

306281[/snapback]

Yeah, but the cool thing was that VBG made that prediction in April of 2003. Wow, that was a good call. If I endorsed gambpling I'd say quick go and buy a lottery ticket!

13791[/snapback]

post-812-1095566621.gif

306281[/snapback]

Yeah, but the cool thing was that VBG made that prediction in April of 2003. Wow, that was a good call. If I endorsed gambpling I'd say quick go and buy a lottery ticket!

306285[/snapback]

I had forgotten about that post lol Glad to see I was right though.

I love the thought of Section 31 being on Enterprise. Makes me wonder who was a member on TOS. Kirk may have been a member since he did steal a Romulan cloaking device in "The Enterprise Incident".

To weird for me, to the point where it makes you think since STF.N is such a popular and spam free website, maybe the execs/Mani Coto take a look at our website from time to time for ideas and feedback

MANI COTO ET ALL IF YOU ARE READING THIS: DO NOT CANCEL ENTERPRISE... YOU GUYS ARE ON A ROLL AND THIS HAS BEEN BY FAR THE BEST 6 MONTHS OF ENTERPRISE EVER!!!!

I always thought that Section 31 would make a great Trek series.Sort of like Mission Impossible in space.

It's a very interesting premise for Trek. I don't think a series would be a good idea though, since a major part of the appeal is mystery.

I can't believe that prediction was made about Reed back in '03. :P That was impressive!