Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trekz

Chicago Comic Con: Rosemont, IL, Aug. 9-11, 2012

Chicago Comic Con (Wizard World) will be held at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois from August 9 - 11

http://www.wizardworld.com/home-ch.html

Star Trek guests to attend:

1, William Shatner - Captain James T. Kirk, TOS / ST: I - VII

2. Scott Bakula - Captain Jonathan Archer, ENT

3. Kate Mulgrew - Captain Kathryn Janeway, VOY

4. Avery Brooks - Captain Sisko, DS9

5. Scottie Thompson - Nero's wife, Star Trek (2009)

More guests may be added.

Chicago Comic Con (Wizard World) is being held at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois this weekend from August 9 - 11

http://www.wizardwor...om/home-ch.html

Star Trek guests to attend:

1, William Shatner - Captain James T. Kirk, TOS / ST: I - VII

2. Scott Bakula - Captain Jonathan Archer, ENT

3. Dean Stockwell - Grat, ENT

4. Avery Brooks - Captain Sisko, DS9

5. Scottie Thompson - Nero's wife, Star Trek (2009)

I attended briefly today, Thursday. I saw Avery Brooks on the con floor. Tomorrow is the Captains discussion with Brooks, Bakula and Shatner.

I attended the Chicago Comic Con parts of all 4 days - it was much bigger this year and had larger crowds, partly due to the headliner - Stan Lee - and a lineup of other appealing guests including Kevin Sorbo, Dean Cain, Tom Felton, Buffy cast members, Boondock Saints actors, Walking Dead cast, etc., and of course Star Trek actors.

I attended the Captains panel featuring Avery Brooks, Scott Bakula and William Shatner. Shatner joked that he was busy trying to do something about the DNA of wheat. Bakula talked about the end of Enterprise the series, when, he felt, it was hitting its stride. Bakula did not feel he was following the other captains, since his series was set at the beginning of the timeline. He felt the Captains were each unique, yet all held the same job. Avery Brooks noted that DS9 was more character driven, and looked more like what our society looks like, with many problems yet unsolved. Sci Fi, he noted, was getting people to care about issues and each other.

A fourth Captain was there in spirit with a Captain Picard action figure. It was originally put on the podium by the moderator. It made it onto the guest table. Subsequently Shatner picked it up as Avery pushed a water pitcher toward it. Shatner said, moving the figure's legs: "Look Picard's running! Look Picard's diving!" as he dropped the figure headfirst into the pitcher! Brooks broke up laughing. Eventually, minutes later, Bakula exclaimed, "I can't stand it any longer!" removed the figure from the pitcher and proceeded to give it mouth to nouth resusitation, and chest compressions, finally exclaiming, "He's alive!", and sitting the figure up.

Shatner talked of his Captain's documentaries and how he felt he bonded with the other Cpatains, as each gave him their moments of reflection and feeling. Shatner wants to keep doing documentaries.

Someone asked Brooks if he thought the black character from the Avengers movie was too much like his character Hawk from Spencer for hire. Brooks replied that all legend, mythology and many stories have common elements. "Hawk wore dark glasses, yet he could see. If Spencer was in trouble, there Hawk was. It's the stuff of heroes."

Bakula quipped that he wanted Avery to answer all his questions!

In answer to a question about what the actors gove up to be in Star Trek, Brooks gave a long eloquent answer, while Shatner quipped that he gave up being a brain surgeon. And that what we have on this panel is "two clowns and an intelligent man!" Bakula added that what Avery said, and that he understood, he agreed with...! Bakula added that he gave up some theater acting which he gets the most pleasure from doing, because of the exchange between the audience and the actors.

Shatner spoke of being asked to be in the second Star Trek pilot, which he thought would be an intriguing show. Bill liked the lighter approach taken by the second pilot crew. Brooks talked about the great cast and crew for DS9, and that people cared about each other. Bakula talked about inheriting the great crew that filmed Voyager and how well supported the cast was by expertise and great guests.

Shatner spoke of his strong friendship with Leonard Nimoy. Brooks was asked if he loved baseball as much as Sisko did and replied that after he realized how much Michael Pilar loved baseball, Brooks did as well!

The actors were asked about being the custodians of Star Trek. Brooks replied that the power and glory of Star Trek resides with the fans and how they make sense of the concepts and messages of Star Trek. Shatner said that they are the custodians of Star trek in that they have the background and history of helping make it its mythological best. That they can help renew the message of Star Trek. After that Bakula quipped that he always wanted to be on Kirk's ship. And that with film they have a certain immortality. Brooks quipped "Be careful what you wish for!"

It was a fun panel. I look forward to hearing more ST panels in the future!