Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Abrams: Trek 2 Filming Begins This Week

Filming on Star Trek 2 will begin on Thursday, according to J.J. Abrams.

Although Star Trek 2 will eventually be converted to 3D, it will first be filmed in anamorphic format. “We’re shooting on film,” said Abrams, “and the reason for that is that I wanted to shoot with anamorphic, and you can’t shoot 3D in anamorphic.”

Abrams150.gifAbrams had a reason for wanting to shoot in anamorphic format as opposed to shooting the film in 3D. “It will be converted, for those who want to see it in 3D,” he said. “But, I wanted to match the look of the first one and shoot it anamorphically.”

Expect to see plenty of lens flares, as in Star Trek XI. “I’ve had some people make fun of me about that,” said Abrams. “Yeah, we’ve done some tests. Not only lens flare tests, but we’ve done 3D tests. We actually converted a bunch of the original movie, which looked really good. That was the thing that made me feel like, maybe that would be okay. But, I didn’t want to shoot the movie digitally.”

A 3D Star Trek 2 wasn’t Abrams’ idea originally. “I did not fight for the 3D,” said Abrams. “It was something that the studio wanted to do, and I didn’t want to do it. And then, when I saw the first movie converted in sections, I thought that it actually looked really cool. So, I was okay with their doing it, as long as I could shoot the movie the way I wanted to, in anamorphic film, and then let them convert it. So, those who want to see it in 3D, which looked pretty cool, can do it, and those that want to see it in 2D can do that too.”

Filming is expected to last “four months,” according to Abrams.

View the full article