Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

New Skin and Board upgrade

I'm having a new skin created for the board and sometime in the next week or so I'll have the board upgraded to Invision's latest version. Our last upgrade was in May 2008 and it's time to go down that road once again.

I'm going to move the board to a new host and upgrade it there. The current host is kind of behind the times in services and pricing, so I think it's time for a move. Doing so will cause the board to go offline for a while at some point while the domain name is re-routed to the new host. That could take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours when it happens.

I wouldn't expect any of that to take place for a week or more though.

I've finally gotten a test board of the new Invision installed on a backup of the STF database. I don't have a skin for it but I have the test board working. I'll post the link soon. I'll work on a basic skin so the posts will look halfway right.

I decided to skin the new board myself, Invision is coming out with yet another upgrade in a couple of months and I didn't want to hire someone to make a custom skin that would only be good for a few months.

It's not perfect and is still a bit of a work in progress but you can see it here:

http://www.startrekfans.net/test

Everyone should be able to log in, I transferred the database into over and upgraded it to 3.1.4 so I could make the skin and try it out. Not all of the posts portion of the database properly imported, so not all of our posts are there and that may cause a few errors here and there but you can click around and see what it looks like.

I don't have a portal for it yet so it's just the forum view but from what I've been reading Invision has a portal solution that I'll be able to use here.

I'm looking to have the upgrade done in a few days.

I love that the new one has a mobile version. I was just looking around and it works great with my droid.

I love that the new one has a mobile version. I was just looking around and it works great with my droid.
I haven't looked at the mobile skin, is it the STF skin or a generic skin?

At some point in the next day or so the baord will go offline so the upgrade can take place. I'll take it offline in order to do a full back-up pre-upgrade. That way if the upgrade goes terribly wrong I'll have the ability to revert back without losing anything.

I don't know how long it might be offline, it could be anywhere from a couple hours to half the day but that will be what's going on.

Also, there's a possibility that we may lose some of the side bar items that we currently have for a while. Things like the moods and awards and so on. If we do lose those I'll work toward getting them back as soon as is possible.

Ok, as you can see the upgrade is completed. If you come across anything that doesn't look right or doesn't work right please report it (either in a PM or here).

VBG - My Caption Contest, Trivia Rank, and Sustaining Member stuff is missing.

That's what this was talking about:

Also, there's a possibility that we may lose some of the side bar items that we currently have for a while. Things like the moods and awards and so on. If we do lose those I'll work toward getting them back as soon as is possible.

I'll work on getting them back on the profiles but currently those categories, when enabled are displaying on all accounts. Even when they don't have an award or mood or whatever. It was just showing as a broken image link.

There's a few things I'm still working on, hopefully I'll have most of them worked out by the end of the weekend.

The text input area being white for instance, I don't really like that and the PM notification menu at the top right being transparent.

I also can't find wjere to change your avitar.

At the top right corner of the board click the dropdown arrow next to your name. Then click "My Settings". In there click the Profile tab, it's in there.

We I post on a topic I have already posted on I notice a warning bar. I do not see it on anyone else's posts. Is this something only the Poster can see or have I been mistaken for " He Who Shall Not Be Named"

Ha ha, you got a warning!!

No, he didn't. The warning bar shows whether you have a warning or not. If there's no warning then the warning bar is empty. If there is a warning then there is a line filled in, just like the poll results in a poll.

Is it possible to have the site show the date and time of the last post in a topic on the front page post listings?

Is it possible to have the site show the date and time of the last post in a topic on the front page post listings?

I'll email the person that developed the portal and see if there's a way to do it.

The board looks good! The new "add reply" works a lot better (at least for me), but the black print on gray background is a little hard to read.

The board looks good! The new "add reply" works a lot better (at least for me), but the black print on gray background is a little hard to read.

Where specifically is the black on gray? Can you gake a screen shot and attach it so I can see?

The "black on gray" is in the "full editor" reply box. Clicking on the "fast reply' box sends me to the "full editor" box.

I just noticed that if I select white type, I can see what I'm typing.

*d'oh!*

*smacks forehead*