Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Apollo landing sites photographed by the LRO

One topic that I've always been fascinated by is the Apollo moon landings. Recently I've been re-reading the book "A Man on the Moon" by Andrew Chaikin, it's a book I've read about 10 (or more) times over the past 15 or so years and it goes into great detail about each mission. It's nearly 700 pages but it's a really good bok that I'd reccommend to anyone that wants to study the Apollo missions and includes interviews of all of the moon voyagers except one I believe and that's Jack Swigert who passed away in 1982.

Anyway, as I've been reading the book I've also been watching my DVD's that have all of the video footage taken during various missions, most people would probably find that stuff boring but I'm fascinated by it all. After watching some of the Apollo 15 footage I also looked up online some of the missions and came across some recent pictures of the landing sites that were taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter in 2009.

Most of them are low res pictures but are still pretty cool and tend to give proof that the landings werent' hoaxed.

The best of the pictures was the one of the Apollo 12 landing site in the Ocean of Storms. In it you can see the tracks that Pete Conrad and Al Bean made during their moon walks, you can see Intrepid's descent stage, the ALSEP (Apollo Lunar Surface Experimant Package) and even the Surveyor 3 probe that landed on the moon almost 3 years before Apollo 12.

It's really pretty cool to see all of this that's been there, unchanged since November 1969.

Apollo_12_LRO.jpg

You can see all the other photos here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Reconnaissance_Orbiter The others are pretty low res though.

It's a good thing they have a head up there. Otherwise that would be a long time to hold it in.

That's the name of the crater, it's named that because together with Surveyor Crater it looks like a snowman with the smaller crater making the snowmans head and the larger making the body of the snowman. Since the Surveyor 3 probe landed in the body of the snowman it was named Surveyor Crater.

Yeah, I'm sure they will. Those would be the kind of people that you could take to the moon and have them physically walk there themselves and then they'd still say that it was faked or they were drugged into believing it lol.