Rate Star Trek XI  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give Star Trek XI?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good.
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Ok, no spoilers without a spoiler box. Preferably any indepth reviews should be in it's own review thread but if you want to give a short reason for your rating just please use a spoiler box for any plot info.

I'll give it a 5 out of 5. I outlined some things I wasn't satisfied with in my review but I'll reserve final judgement when I see Star Trek XII. For now, I'll give it our highest rating.

My first impressions cause me to rate it a 4.5 but since there is no 4 and half option I'll bump it to 5.

My biggest complaint was with the sound. The soundtrack, particularly the surround, was too loud and brash. I couldn't hear the dialogue in a couple places.

More tomorrow...

I liked it. I'm still processing it and everything, but I liked it.

<spoiler>

Click for Spoiler:

The different direction they went with it was...interesting. We'll see

</spoiler>

I also had to sit in the second row of the IMAX, so I had a major kink in my neck at the end. This weekend I'm going to go see it in the middle of a normal theater to see.

Edited by Eratosthenes

5 for me too..This movie ROCKS !!! I'm going to see it again tomorrow..

I just got home from seeing it and i loved it . The crowd got into it as well. I would love a sequel. My friend who went with me liked it. It was so well done. The cast,special effects,soundtrack, it fit so well. its a 5+ in my books.

Edited by stvoyagerfan

A 5, easily. I loved it, down to the last detail. This is the most fun I've had with ST since my beloved DS9 ended. :P

I rated it a 4. Good movie but needed a bit more 'spit and polish'... Call me an ole die-hard TOS fan but it looks like canon got shifted to a whole different universe...

Click for Spoiler:

The action scenes were a bit chaotic and the characterizations were a bit off (or totally off)...

I did like the fact when he portrayed the horrors in space he did it with silence.

Now I can see why Jim Kirk always had to get out of scrapes...

With out going into too much detail, I can safely say this was a complete and utter waste of my time. I am a huge Star Trek fan and went into this with a very open mind. I nearly cried at the end, not because it was good but I had realized to what extent J.J. and his crew had gone wrong. And to that I have one final comment: J.J. I want a refund.

I normally don't post here, but the topic begs for me to respond. star trek 11 was the worst film yet. I want my money back, I can't believe they would re-cast the orginal crew... and in such a crappy manner. My goodness, the mccoy wannabe is a bit bulkier than the original, the "chekov" if thats what you can call him doesn't even have the same eye color and hair style as the orginal, the "sulu" is seven years older than the original(this is supposed to be from an earlier time, right?), and Kirk driving a car is nonsense --recall the TOS ep "A piece of the action"?

abrams tried to do damage control by saying this is a different timeline. anytime a director has to try and explain away his failures like that only leads to trouble.

I had gone to this 'film" hoping to be entertained, but I was dissapointed. this film sucks. Star Trek is officially dead.

* McCoy bulkier - granted, but the director has to work with whatever actors are available. Remember also that this McCoy is quite a bit younger than he would be when TOS started. Remember how old Yar looked in All Good Things...? Sometimes the casters have no choice.

* "Chekov" - You are probably the only one to notice the eye color. Surprised you didn't talk about his age (19) or his new mathmatical wizardry. (I don't know why you would need another math whiz if you have Spock.) The new hairstyle is a major departure. However, "Pavel" and "Chekov" are both common names in Russia so perhaps this is a different Pavel Chekov?

* Sulu older - You might be right, he certainly looks older. Heavier too. But again, you work with what is available.

* Kirk driving - OK, this is because the TOS Kirk was raised by his natural father. The XI Kirk was raised by a car enthusiast foster dad. This also explains why TOS Kirk was a walking bookstack and XI Kirk clearly was not. Different upbringing will naturally lead to a different Kirk.

I would argue that Star Trek is hardly dead, it's been completely brought back to life by this movie. Star Trek was dying a slow and painful death because it couldn't move on. Now it has and thank god. Star Trek has a whole new audience and a whole lot of long time fans like myself who are so relieved that this happened.

the film is marmite (Yeast based sandwich filler here) you either love it or hate it!

the film is marmite (Yeast based sandwich filler here) you either love it or hate it!

Thanks for explaining marmite, I had no idea what it was lol.

I think this new movie really introduced more people to what makes Star Trek so special. I love the positive reactions so far with the movie reviews. Everyone who had a part in this movie should be proud.

The first time I saw it I was in the second row of the IMAX and my girlfriend and I were in a very serious argument immediately afterward, so my view on it the first time around was tainted. I kept feeling the strong urge to see it again, and when I did (going by myself instead of with a friend this time) I sat in the third or fourth row of a large traditional theater. That second times was SO MUCH better than the first, and I'm glad I gave the film a 5/5 when I rated it here a few days ago. I can't tell you how much I like the new direction it's taken! :P

So far I've seen it at 7 on the 7th and at 9 on the 9th. I plan to see it again very very soon!

Edited by Eratosthenes

* McCoy bulkier - granted, but the director has to work with whatever actors are available. Remember also that this McCoy is quite a bit younger than he would be when TOS started. Remember how old Yar looked in All Good Things...? Sometimes the casters have no choice.

* "Chekov" - You are probably the only one to notice the eye color. Surprised you didn't talk about his age (19) or his new mathmatical wizardry. (I don't know why you would need another math whiz if you have Spock.) The new hairstyle is a major departure. However, "Pavel" and "Chekov" are both common names in Russia so perhaps this is a different Pavel Chekov?

* Sulu older - You might be right, he certainly looks older. Heavier too. But again, you work with what is available.

* Kirk driving - OK, this is because the TOS Kirk was raised by his natural father. The XI Kirk was raised by a car enthusiast foster dad. This also explains why TOS Kirk was a walking bookstack and XI Kirk clearly was not. Different upbringing will naturally lead to a different Kirk.

Thanks for agreeing. :P

All the excuses in the world(yours included) don't change the fact that all the inconsistencies about this "film" make it a big disappointment. Its incredulous that you go out of your way to make (personal attack removed- AE)witted excuses for the films many mistakes. :(

There are a couple more I just wanted to point out. First, the "Cardassian gin" served at the local bar in Iowa seems a huge departure of what is known about Cardassians( they weren't introduced until ep#87 'The Wounded" of TNG) and weren't they involved in a war with the federation nearly 90 years later? secondly, wasn't Delta Vega a barren planet in "Where no man has gone before"? Now, its an arctic wasteland? Yeah, in fact Lee Kelso was killed there by Lt. Cmdr. Gary Mitchell. There are undoubtedly more continuity snafus in the film, but then again only real fans would take the time to notice and care about such things, obviously the 'fans' that just want anything with star trek in the title could care less. Oh well, your loss (personal attack removed - AE). :D

Edited by Alterego
remove personal attacks

I would argue that Star Trek is hardly dead, it's been completely brought back to life by this movie. Star Trek was dying a slow and painful death because it couldn't move on. Now it has and thank god. Star Trek has a whole new audience and a whole lot of long time fans like myself who are so relieved that this happened.

I disagree. Its dead, face it and 'move on'. If it were 'alive' it wouldn't go out of its way to be re-packaged, re-cast, and re-written for the semi-literate 'fans' that need to get their sci fi fix.

If your 'relieved', fine. Thats great, but also sad that you could find 'relief' from a film whose performances could've been phoned in and whose story is such a blatant violation of established canon that no serious fan can really accept this dour attempt to insult lifelong fans of the franchise. :P

(I'm a different person, silly. :P) I don't consider any explanations to be excuses, but we both have our opinions...I loved the movie and you didn't. :D

Who says the ENTIRE planet of Delta Vega is a barren wasteland? We certainly have room for every type of terrain on our own planet.

Check out the ep "Where no man has gone before". It is even mentioned as such. Its uninhabited too. So much for your 'excuses'. :P

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Delta_Vega

I believe you failed to notice the link on that page to this page:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Delta_Vega_(Vulcan_system)

Not my first choice, but it works.

As for the "Cardassian sunrise", we have no canonical date for the first contact between the Cardassians and the Federation. So this is not an error.

Romulan Ale was illegal in Nemesis but in the latter seasons of DS9 it was not.

Worf was also an Ambassador in the final DS9 episode but a member of the Enterprise crew in Nemesis.

Borg assimilated adults of other races in First Contact and most of the episodes but in Q, Who? the Borg did not assimilate at all. They were "born" as biological life and were implanted shortly after birth. Even Guinan said they weren't interested in the crew, only the technology.

They found "Eden" at the center of the galaxy in The Final Frontier but they had also found it in that space hippy episode.

The loop-around-the-sun time travel thing was only a throry in The Voyage Home but the same crew had done it once already in Assignment: Earth.

Kahn remembered Chekhov's face and name in The Wrath of Kahn but Chekhov wasn't even part of the crew yet in Space Seed.

No in-canon explanations exist for any of these apparent inconsistencies.

I agree they completely missed the mark with the new Chekhov, but if you are going to reject XI for canon inconsistencies then you have to reject ALL OF THE STAR TREK FRANCHISE for the same reason.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

Romulan Ale was illegal in Nemesis but in the latter seasons of DS9 it was not.

I'm pretty sure that was a case of the restriction being dropped during the Federation-Romulan alliance during the Dominion War. Once the war ended, the alliance ended (since it wouldn't last long) the restriction was put back into place.

Actually, most of the stuff on your list can we worked around, same as the stuff in Star Trek XI.

Really that reinforces your point, if we are willing to work around what we perceive to be errors in canon in the rest of the franchise, we should be willing to work around them here. Especially given that the makers of Star Trek XI has given themselves the ability to break with canon in places.

I disagree. Its dead, face it and 'move on'. If it were 'alive' it wouldn't go out of its way to be re-packaged, re-cast, and re-written for the semi-literate 'fans' that need to get their sci fi fix.

If your 'relieved', fine. Thats great, but also sad that you could find 'relief' from a film whose performances could've been phoned in and whose story is such a blatant violation of established canon that no serious fan can really accept this dour attempt to insult lifelong fans of the franchise. :spock:

So I'm not a serious Trek fan because I have a different opinion on the matter? :superhappy: LOL ok have fun with that point of view, it's not even worth arguing. Enjoy your bitterness.

BTW, many Trek actors have mentioned they love this movie, Leonard Nimoy included. I guess they don't live up to your idea of real Trek fans.

Edited by RikerChick