My husband & I saw it this afternoon. He liked it, & I loved it, even though I wasn't expecting to. The action was chaotic at times, but the story was well-written, interesting, and easy to follow, and the special effects were excellent. The "character interaction" scenes were very well-done (& had great "chemistry" between the "big 3"), and even though I would have liked more of them (and a little less action), the ones they had were satisfying.

The opening sequence was exciting and dynamic...

Click for Spoiler:

and so heartbreaking I cried.

and the music was fantastic throughout the movie.

I don't mind the apparent canon inconsistencies too much (most likely caused by the alternate timeline)...

Click for Spoiler:

but I'd like to know how they got the Enterprise off the ground & into space. Did they just fired up the engines and take off?

I found the alternate timeline explanations in the movie both clear and satisfying, ...

Click for Spoiler:

even concerning the destruction of Vulcan, although I wish they hadn't done it. At least thousands of Vulcans survived.

I loved all the characters, even Chekov (but I wish his hair wasn't curly). They all seemed either very close to, or exactly like, the originals.

There were two things I seriously didn't like...

Click for Spoiler:

Spock/Uhura. Where did that come from? The different timeline? I was hoping for some Kirk/Uhura, because I thought Uhura had a crush on Kirk (at least in the original timeline). The second Spock/Uhura "kissy-face" was just so many kinds of "ick" that I can't count them. I wonder if Nurse Chapel will be in the next one? Could be interesting!

I hated the look of the engine room. It looked too "primitive" and industrial to be a part of such a modern looking starship.

and one that just annoyed me...

Click for Spoiler:

Scotty's little "Get down!" alien in engineering. He(?) reminded me of an Ewok. Star Trek doesn't need its own Ewoks.

I'm very surprised (and very grateful) that Star Trek turned out so well. Looks like there's hope for the continuation of the franchise! Both of us would like to see Star Trek again - I'd like to see it a few more times!

Edited by BakulaBabe

I don't mind the apparent canon inconsistencies too much (most likely caused by the alternate timeline)...

Click for Spoiler:

but I'd like to know how they got the Enterprise off the ground & into space. Did they just fired up the engines and take off?

Click for Spoiler:

I'm guessing a combination of the RCS thrusters and a tractor beam.

Click for Spoiler:

Spock/Uhura. Where did that come from? The different timeline? I was hoping for some Kirk/Uhura, because I thought Uhura had a crush on Kirk (at least in the original timeline). The second Spock/Uhura "kissy-face" was just so many kinds of "ick" that I can't count them. I wonder if Nurse Chapel will be in the next one? Could be interesting!

Click for Spoiler:

Well, Nurse Chapel is aboard the Enterprise. McCoy addresses her immediately after Kirk's hands swell up. You don't see her though.

Click for Spoiler:

Click for Spoiler:

I'm guessing a combination of the RCS thrusters and a tractor beam.

Click for Spoiler:

Click for Spoiler:

Well, Nurse Chapel is aboard the Enterprise. McCoy addresses her immediately after Kirk's hands swell up. You don't see her though.

For the first quote - I never thought of that. It makes sense. :spock:

For the second quote - GAH! I missed that. It gives me an excuse to see it again. Like I need an excuse! :superhappy:

(I did it this way because I couldn't figure out how to split up the quotes.)

I can't believe I forgot about this, but it's another thing that was annoying...

Click for Spoiler:

Obvious product placement! I liked the song playing during Kirk's "scenic drive", but the glaringly obvious Nokia product placement was distracting. I don't recall any product placement in other Trek movies.

I can't believe I forgot about this, but it's another thing that was annoying...

Click for Spoiler:

Obvious product placement! I liked the song playing during Kirk's "scenic drive", but the glaringly obvious Nokia product placement was distracting. I don't recall any product placement in other Trek movies.

I spotted that too and rolled my eyes at it. lol

Click for Spoiler:

Ok, even I, who loves this movie with a passion, thought that was silly.

That's because very few of them took place on Earth.

What is interesting is Nokia stock droped since the movie came out.

Good point - something else I didn't think of. :superhappy:

That info about Nokia is kinda funny. :spock:

If you think about it it's not really any worse than Dunkin' Donuts in TVH

Click for Spoiler:

See? We do agree on the movie! lol

Click for Spoiler:

lol at least on one thing anyway :superhappy:

Click for Spoiler:

Well we've sort of hijacked the thread.. but on more than one thing lol. Despite what Alterego might think, I liked the movie a whole lot. I just also have that "strict canonist" side of me too lol.

If you think about it it's not really any worse than Dunkin' Donuts in TVH

Well that was because of a real-life sign in downtown San Francisco. Not much you can do about that.

Click for Spoiler:

Well we've sort of hijacked the thread.. but on more than one thing lol. Despite what Alterego might think, I liked the movie a whole lot. I just also have that "strict canonist" side of me too lol.

No problem, guys! I'm kind of a "strict canonist" myself, but the way things were presented in the movie, I don't have too many issues with the changes.

Hmm, I wonder if they'll do product placements for alien products in future movies? ;) Yeah, it's late & I'm getting silly. :spock: