Sign in to follow this  
Indy

2008 Hallmark Star Trek ornaments

Has anybody posted about this year's ornaments yet? If so, I apologize, and a mod can merge. I couldn't find a thread with a quick search, so here they are:

Click for Spoiler:

hm2008reliant1.jpg

hm2008tribbles1.jpg

hm2008toscom1.jpg

Please click here and click on "Video" to see the tribble ornament in action. Little tribbles actually fall on Kirk!! The communicator video is here.

I've already got the Reliant and the Tribble one, the Communicator won't come out until October. I also got this one:

Click for Spoiler:

qxi4294_lic.jpg

:P

While the tribble one looks cute at first glance, won't the kids get sad when they realize that most of the tribbles in that pile are either dead or dying, poisoned by the Klingons? Not all that Christmasy if you think about it. :P

Sorry, that was my Scrooge post of the day.

While the tribble one looks cute at first glance, won't the kids get sad when they realize that most of the tribbles in that pile are either dead or dying, poisoned by the Klingons? Not all that Christmasy if you think about it. :unsure:

Sorry, that was my Scrooge post of the day.

Hahahaha, I don't think that's the attitude they had towrds them in the actual episode. I found the episode as a whole to be rather playful...despite the mass genocide. :whistling:

Anyway, those ornaments look great! I must acquire them!

For anybody already looking forward to the 2009 ornaments, here's what is planned:

1. "The Menagerie", STAR TREK, Hear Captain Pike's chair beep and see it blink (one or two times) as he responds to Captain Kirk's questions
  2. K't'inga-class Klingon Battle Cruiser, STAR TREK: The Motion Picture, 30th anniversary, See the battle cruiser's glowing torpedo launchers illuminate
  3. The Illia Probe, STAR TREK: The Motion Picture, 30th anniversary Special Edition, Limited-quantity
  4. Star Trek Hand Phaser, STAR TREK, See lights flash and hear sound effects as well as lines of dialogue from the original STAR TREK television series

Review of Hallmark 2008 Communicator Ornament and 2009 Preview

October 11-12th, Hallmark stores are celebrating their annual "Ornament Debut" weekend with in-store parties. Star Trek fans have reason to join the festivities because one of the best Star Trek ornaments ever is now available, the TOS Communicator. Trekmovie.com continues coverage of the Hallmark line with a detailed look at the new ornament, and news of next year’s line.

Communicate with Santa

The Communicator represents the 49th Star Trek Christmas ornament from Hallmark. The item is an excellent miniaturized version of the communicator from the days of Captain Kirk. Especially impressive are the frenetic display of the three lights (appropriately energetic, these lights will look great on a tree) and the number of phrases from the show featured when the two buttons are pressed. While the miniaturized size takes some getting used to (it is about 1/2 the size of the real communicator), it is good that Hallmark didn’t scale their ornament 1:1 because an opened communicator of full size would have been ungainly on a tree. As a bonus, this ornament is a fun toy, perfect for display and play during the entire year.

hm08toscom2t.jpghm08toscom3t.jpg

In addition to the opening and closing sound, there are fifteen additional voice effects, more than any other Hallmark ornament ever. Pushing the two buttons accesses Original Series phrases from Captain Kirk, Spock, Scotty, and Uhura. See and hear the communicator ornament in action in the video below.

Priced at $18.50 (the usual price for electronic ornaments from Hallmark), the communicator is available starting today (although some stores were selling early for lucky fans). The Communicator joins the already available 2008 ornaments of the USS Reliant and the Trouble with Tribbles.

hallmarktribbles1.jpghallmarkreliant1.jpg

A look into Christmas future

For 2009 Hallmark is planning on moving up to four ornaments, which they haven’t done since 2004. TrekMovie previously provided a sneak peek from Comic Con of one of the ornaments, a scene from "The Menagerie" featuring Captain Pike, Kirk, and Spock. We now know what the other three ornaments planned for 2009 are. The second ornament will be based on a TOS phaser, to go along with this year’s communicator ornament. There will also be two movie related ornaments, but not the movie you might be thinking of. Fans might be assuming there will be ornaments related to JJ Abrams new Star Trek movie, but actually Hallmark ornaments based on the Trek films have always come out the year after the film due to the time needed to make the ornaments. 2009 may be the year of JJ Abram’s revitalization of Star Trek, but it is also the 30th Anniversary of the release of the original "revitalization" feature film, Star Trek: The Motion Picture. In honor of that film Hallmark will release a K’t'inga Class Klingon Battlecruiser featured in the film. Kevin Dilmore, who in addition to being a Star Trek novelist also works for Hallmark, promises the Klingon ship will be "complete with incredible detail of the hull plating and glowing torpedo launchers". The second TMP Hallmark item planned for 2009 is a limited edition Ilia Probe ornament. So far the only picture available for 2009 is for the "Menagerie" scene, shown at Comic Con. The 2009 ornaments should be available in the Summer and Fall of 2009.

hallmark09pikett.jpg

TrekMovie.com

For anybody already looking forward to the 2009 ornaments, here's what is planned:

1. "The Menagerie", STAR TREK, Hear Captain Pike's chair beep and see it blink (one or two times) as he responds to Captain Kirk's questions
  2. K't'inga-class Klingon Battle Cruiser, STAR TREK: The Motion Picture, 30th anniversary, See the battle cruiser's glowing torpedo launchers illuminate
  3. The Illia Probe, STAR TREK: The Motion Picture, 30th anniversary Special Edition, Limited-quantity
  4. Star Trek Hand Phaser, STAR TREK, See lights flash and hear sound effects as well as lines of dialogue from the original STAR TREK television series

Lol, that's an original! I get the Menagerie ornament just for the light up and beeping Christopher Pike!!

I've always been impressed by the quality. Over the years they've come out with some really good ones, like the Deep Space Nine one, which is really too big for an "ornament," but you can set it on a stand (included) and hear Captain Sisko speak. There were also miniature ships that year which could be purchased separately, and were made to hang from the Deep Space Nine model. Every year I look forward to unpacking my Star Trek ornaments.

I am really impressed with the communicator this year. The sounds it makes are exactly like the sound of the communicator on the TV show. :clap:

And of course no one can forget the very first 1991 ornament of the original Enterprise, which sometimes sells on E-bay for around $200.

I've got them all. I have to get a separate tree every Christmas just to hang the Trek ornaments on...... :clap:

I love the Hallmark ornaments. But they've gotten so expensive. I go the day after christmas to see if they have any left, and to get them at half price

If I had the money for it I would buy two of every ornament and keep on on display in the box, and use the other to decorate a tree in ALL trek oranaments