Sign in to follow this  
ThetaFive

Intriguing/Chilling aspects of the Borg

I think part of the intrigue of the Borg is the eerie feeling that they are able to provide in certain situations. It is like watching a psychological horror in a sense. By taking what is normal and making it not so normal anymore in can instill a type of fear and that is part of what makes them so fascinating I believe.

Here are a few things that I think cause this effect in viewers when it comes to the Borg.

1. When a starfleet crew member comes a round a corner and encounter any of the following:

A. Someone they know or recognize in the process of being assimilated.

B. Someone they know or recognize begging for there help while in the process of being assimilated.

C. Someone they know or recognize attempting to attack/assimilate them.

D. A child they know being placed in a maturation chamber or already in a maturation chamber.

E. Entering a familiar location on there ship and discovering that the borg have assimilated that location.

F. Being assimilated and not being able to do anything about it.

G. Has been assimilated and performing tasks for the collective and not able to do anything about it.

2. Alice Krige as the Borg Queen. She seems to just come with a dark eerie feeling not matter what movie

she is in. I saw her in a movie called Habitat and and in Sleepwalkers and she was downright spooky in

those roles. In my opinion Susanna Thompson the other actress who plays the Borg Queen in most of the

Voyager episodes does not have the same effect as Alice Krige.

Please add your own thoughts on what you feel intrigues, gives the chills or downright scares the audience when it comes to the Borg.

What really creeped my out was several episodes of Voyager, where the borg seemed almost insectoid with the way their implants were on their bodies. It almost looked like when they redesigned them for (I think this was the Episode) 'The Raven', as if the production designers wanted to give them the appearence of large cockroaches.

I think the Borg effect was more successful before the introduction of the Borg Queen. For me one of the things that intrigued me was the fact that we knew so little about them, we didn't know what was inside the cubes, what they really did to you once you were in there and how they did it only seeing the after-effects of the assimilation process.

Even after this it was still effective. When we first saw people being assimilated it looked like they were being devoured by these nanoprobes. The sense of helplessness, the fact that it seemed like there was really nothing you could do to stop your body being taken over and being forced to do abhorrent things to people, anybody, even your family.

I think the Borg effect was more successful before the introduction of the Borg Queen. For me one of the things that intrigued me was the fact that we knew so little about them, we didn't know what was inside the cubes, what they really did to you once you were in there and how they did it only seeing the after-effects of the assimilation process.

I agree with things being better. The fear of the Borg was taken away with her introduction.

Even after this it was still effective. When we first saw people being assimilated it looked like they were being devoured by these nanoprobes. The sense of helplessness, the fact that it seemed like there was really nothing you could do to stop your body being taken over and being forced to do abhorrent things to people, anybody, even your family.

There is also the horror of realizing you are helping further the goals of the Borg when you used to be fighting them or looking at yourself becoming one of them.

I think one of the most disturbing aspects that I have mentioned if seeing someone you know being assimilated. Especially if it is a child in a maturation chember.

I think details are they key when it comes to making the effect. Here is a example.

---------

A nine year old human child has recently been placed in a maturation chamber. ( A few days to a week). The child looks peacefull in the maturation chamber and the childs features are still mostly recognizable to any who knew this child.

Even thou the child has some features that are recognizable to those who knew the child there are also signs of what is to come. Thru the greenish tint of the maturation chamber several borg implants can be seen and every so often movement can be seen under the childs skin as nanites move throughout the childs body.

---------

If that is not disturbing enough imagine looking down at your own arm and seeing nanties moving underneath your own skin.

Taking the normal and twisting it enough so that it is not so normal while still being normal intrigues a lot of people and that is how I view the Borg before the queen. The disturbing aspect has continued after the introduction of the queen but it is just not the same.

What is chilling about the Borg is that they take people's lives.

In addition they keep getting more efficient in taking people's lives.

When Picard was transformed into Locutus ( spelling!) it took a while. In his first contact with the Enterprise after assimilation, he still being transformed.There were more operations afterwards.

In First Contact it seemed to takes seconds to do what it was taking hours to do in TNG.

Which do you think would be a worse fate?

1. To be killed by the Borg.

2. To be alive but assimilated by the Borg?

What I think is the worst fate, is to be alive, but assimilated by the Borg. :( :) :P :(

:)

Edited by 3 of 7

What really creeped my out was several episodes of Voyager, where the borg seemed almost insectoid with the way their implants were on their bodies. It almost looked like when they redesigned them for (I think this was the Episode) 'The Raven', as if the production designers wanted to give them the appearence of large cockroaches.

I thought those Borg were supposed to have been away from any Borg technology for quite some time, so they were basically starting to fall apart. That wasn't a new look, it was rust.

What I think is the worst fate, is to be alive, but assimilated by the Borg.

I Second that. :P :P :P

What I think is the worst fate, is to be alive, but assimilated by the Borg.

I second that. :P :P

I think everyone rather die than be assimilated.in best of both Worlds. Picard actually managed to break free of the borg collective conciense to talk to Data will there be a time when that would be impossible. And do Borg age after assimilation?

I had always found the fact that not only did the borg assimilate and kill other races, but they did so without any remorse or emotion concerning the actions.

I think everyone rather die than be assimilated.in best of both Worlds. Picard actually managed to break free of the borg collective conciense to talk to Data will there be a time when that would be impossible. And do Borg age after assimilation?

They must age after assimilation. Anaka Hansen was a little girl when she was assimilated, and she certainly wasn't a little girl when she was freed.

Ooh, implants...

They must age after assimilation. Anaka Hansen was a little girl when she was assimilated, and she certainly wasn't a little girl when she was freed.

Ooh, implants...

I would assume that she spent some time in a maturation chamber, since they do state that younger drones are in the maturation chamber until they are fully developed.

And development is aging. Therefore, the Borg age. It isn't like they are Immortals and once they become a certain way their DNA stops changing their cells.

Remember, the Borg are part biological. Aging is a biological process. Therefore the Borg are subject to it. We can also conclude they found aging to be beneficial since they would have halted it (like sexual reproduction and regular digestion) if it were a distraction from perfection.

I am certain that they still age, but I imagine that the process has been slowed once they exit the maturation chamber (which accelerates the process.) I would also imagine that after a drone has reached a certain "age" they are probably terminated in order to keep them from taking away from the perfection of the collective.