Sign in to follow this  
ThetaFive

Theories on the Collective

Here are several of my theories on the Borg. I welcome any input and thoughts on these ideas.

The Borg collective controls all the ships and drones that are in the collective, however it is my opinion that the collective is not always linked.

As a example when a Drone assimilates another lifeform the Drone is using instructions that where at one time given it from the Borg collective. I believe a Borg is always connected to the collective from the ship it is from but is that ship always connected to the collective at Unimatrix One? I personally do not believe so.

My theory is that each Borg ship has it's own collective which is a mirror which contains a set of instructions on how to deal with certain situations and each ship can receive uplink to the collective or receive a downlink as necessary from the collective. This makes it so that the actual main collective only needs to put it's attention in critical areas and the ships collective can handle tasks and events that have a standard way of happening and do not change that much from one instance of the event to another such as fighting a ship. After all the centuries that the collective has existed most encounters would be similiar.

When it comes to how the collective passes information around from ship to ship, ship to drone, drone to drone or any other combination that may exists I think it is possible that it is done in a way similiar to the way the internet works with ip addresses and pasing packets and/or streams around.

This is just a small bit of the the theories I have when it comes to the Borg and as time permits and if people show a interest in sharing their own perspectives I would enjoy sharing more of them for people to comment on or share there own views on them.

I agree on the ships not being connected 24/7

Its probably a security measure incase a vessel got infected or something. So that it does not pass on to the rest in the collective.

A small example would be, how it took almost a minute for the Queen to realise the Tactical Cube is under attack.

Well that could be because of the speed of the transmission over 30,000 light-years. Or it could be that the Cube just send a message informing of their battle.