Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

What should a Marine combat uniform look like?

In the sim I am in, we have a division of Marines. I keep thinking, there is no way Marines would go into combat without some sort of Camo uniform. Obviously, a winter-type situation would be easy---white. But what about a forest area? Or a desert? I have an idea for a forest pattern combat uniform, tell me what you guys think...

f1fd3937.jpg

This is what they look like.

Also, for field wear, the black section of the uniform is sort of a dark camo blend.

duty_green.jpg

the grey-blue really stands out, though. By the way, for those wondering, YES, the color pattern for the uniform I posted IS from the new Marine Corps Digi-Camo. I actually had a really huge file with the pattern on it, and shrunk it down to about 1% of it's original size and then repeated it, rotating it, and cutting it oddly to get the pattern you see.

A chameleon style uniform, LOTB? While that would be very cool, I don't know that it would be feasible, even in the 24th century. The combat uniform Jim designed is, as he said, based on the 21st Century US Marine Corps Battle Dress Uniform. the uniform is pretty effective, and actually more so than the previous design pattern. Each marine would probably be issued a uniform like the one Manveru posted as a general work uniform, such as for instances around the ship, and probably when serving aboard a vessel as part of a security force. However, part of each Marine's outfitting would probably include a couple of pairs of different patterned uniforms, OR, given Starfleet's replicator capabilities, a detailed surface scan could be completed, and the computer could design a pattern for the individual planet, and each Marine replicates three or four uniforms.

the grey-blue really stands out, though. By the way, for those wondering, YES, the color pattern for the uniform I posted IS from the new Marine Corps Digi-Camo. I actually had a really huge file with the pattern on it, and shrunk it down to about 1% of it's original size and then repeated it, rotating it, and cutting it oddly to get the pattern you see.

356838[/snapback]

There is no blue-grey on the combat uniforms. They are completely back with the exception of a divisional colour stripe across the chest (roughly where the blue-grey ends now). They are most notably seen in The Siege of AR-558 and Nor the Battle to the Strong...

I think, Jack, that would be a Naval Commando design, probably red signifying an Officer, Yellow signifying something like a Combat Engineer, and the blue/teal signifying a Corpsmen. I do have another question: Is there anything like a Flak Jacket that these Marines could wear? or a helmet? obviously it's not going to be Phaserproof, but if the enemy uses grenades, it could cut down on casualties caused by fragments from those.

I think, Jack, that would be a Naval Commando design, probably red signifying an Officer, Yellow signifying something like a Combat Engineer, and the blue/teal signifying a Corpsmen.

357322[/snapback]

No, they mean the same things as the colours on regular duty uniforms.

Red= Command/Conn

Yellow= Operations, Security (Tactical), and Engineering

Blue=Sciences, Medical

uniforms_35.gif

That was the uniform the infantry was wearing in Nor the Battle to the Strong.

Edited by MrPsychic

I wouldn't think those were Marines, then. Why have a Marine Corps that's going to do the same job as the Starfleet Line Officers? I'd think the Marines would be trained for ground combat, and probably have a different uniform....

futurewarrior.jpg

How about something like that? That's a covert ops uniform from the sim I'm in, but it can be adapted for Marine use.

Edited by MrPsychic

I've seen that picture before, it's the US Army's planned Infantry Combat Uniform 21 or something like that. Put a camo pattern on it and it will look perfect

I had this discussion with someone else about Sci-fi armies a while ago and we talked about the white uniforms of the Storm Troopers, Space Marines, Terran Republicans, Starship Troopers and various science fiction soldiers:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
stormtrooperspeeing.jpg

ultramarine2.jpg

TRTROOPS.JPG

SST_Armor_3.jpg

crazed2.jpg

He argued that nothing we'd seen in the worlds of t.v and film science fiction were realistic because they didn't blend in with there backgrounds: uban/jungle/desert/winter and I argued back that in the future, as technology is proving, camoflague makes little difference. The enemy know where you are without seeing you. Perhaps in the future nations and planets will revert to using more colourful armour like during the Napoleonic wars when the French were dark blue and the British were bright Red and the Prussians wore Grey.

That said there is science fiction out there which include soldiers wearing camo-gear to avoid being seen, but I'm afraid I like my brightly coloured sci-fi uniforms, after all sci-fi is in some ways just futuristic fantasy.

Edited by Lt. Evans

Here's something I put together, as kind of a "Gear Pack" for our sim's Marines....

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
post-1503-1139257857_thumb.jpg

Tech Specs on this:

Helmet:

shrapnel resistant shell and faceplate, air filter, communications system, auditory pickups, speaker, minimal tricorder functions w/ HUD inside faceplate.

Body Armor:

soft-armor flak vest with lightwieght, reenforcing pannels front and rear. Not phaser proof, but will dampen the power of a phaser blast. shrapnel resistant.

Gear Vest:

worn over body armor, carries grenades, power packs for phasers, and rations.

Belt:

carries additional power packs for the rifle and both pistols. also has a small field tricorder, and medical kit.

Weapons carried:

1X type III-C Phaser Rifle

2X Type II-M-1 Phaser Pistols

1 Bayonette

1 Combat Knife

can carry type I "Cricket" phaser in a pocket as a hold-out.

Edited by Krissy Phaserman

Why do the Starfleet Marine uniforms all show guys with hands in their pockets?

They're standing in the at ease position, their hands are behind them.