Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Bliss

What rating would you give "Bliss"?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Bliss"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 209

Season: 5 Episode: 14

DVD Disc: 4

Air Date: 02.10.1999

Stardate: 52542.3

Review Pending...

Cast:

Kate Mulgrew as Kathryn Janeway

Robert Beltran as Chakotay

Roxann Dawson as B'Elanna Torres

Robert Duncan McNeill as Tom Paris

Ethan Phillips as Neelix

Robert Picardo as The Doctor

Tim Russ as Tuvok

Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine

Garrett Wang as Harry Kim

Guest Cast:

Scarlett Pomers as Naomi Wildman

W. Morgan Sheppard as Qatai

Creative Staff:

Director: Cliff Bole

Teleplay By: Robert J. Doherty

Story By: Bill Prady

Related Items:

None

While I do appreciate the tweak-your-melon episodes, the fact that they were giving it away all along kinda ruined it for me. A much better such episode recently in Season 5 was "Latent Image" (the one with the conspiracy against the Doctor, if you don't recall). Still, I liked it overall.

However, I didn't get the ending.

Click For Spoiler
We saw the mercenary heading back into the monster's mouth... Are we to assume he's going to kill it, or did it finally "get" him? If he killed it, I would have thought we'd see it die... Season 5 has been fairly heavy on the special effects. On the other hand, he's fairly resistent to the telepathy, and he now has better shielding. Or... as a combination of ideas, maybe he decided to fly in and then self destruct? After all, it killed his whole family...

Now I got curious at that episode. Then I've seen it, I will tell you what I think of it. I do already have that episode.

:eekout:

An alright episode. One of the few I've seen before when Voyager used to air on UPN. But just like Enterprise, when it started getting good they replaced it... for The Twilight Zone... Well, I think the crew's hopes were taking over their judgement too easily but I'm sure that was the influence of the monster. Poor, poor Voyager crew.

2. Many times, I've mentioned episodes that were ruined by their endings. This one was ruined by its beginning. An egg laid. Obvious that the weird guy was supposed to be Ahab. Its predictability truly ruined the whole episode, moreso than Naomi Wildman saving the day, but at least that made sense as to why she was immune to it.

I loved it! I think this episode is really great. The main reason being is that I like the idea that there are monster aliens out there in space, and you usually think of the danger being when you beam down on a planet. The story is not just inspired by Moby Dick, but Homer's the Odyssey. There are a lot of different ways you can interpret the ending

a. "Ahab" was fooled by the alien again

b. He wanted to commit suicide

c. He was actually working with the space alien and him being "trapped" was part of the monster's plan

I give it a 5 out of 5

It had a unique story hook to it, yes....in the mind-convuluting abiliteies of the creature....Morgan Shepphard, the guest star, was Ira Graves on TNG,the warden at Rura Penthe in Trek6, and, of late, one of the Vulcan Academy officials who offered Young Spock his own place, in 'StarTrek'....

Edited by Voyager recruit

Sign in to follow this