Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Caretaker Part II

What rating would you give "Caretaker" Part II?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Caretaker" Part II?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 103

Season: 1 Episode: 2

DVD Disc: 1

Air Date: 01.23.1995

Stardate: 48439.7

En route to the fifth planet of a neighboring system, Voyager's crew encounters Neelix, a Talaxian scavenger. He explains that the Array has been bringing ships into the region for many months. Neelix guesses that the "Caretaker," who controls the Array, may have sent the missing crewmembers to the Ocampa, a race that lives two miles below the surface of the fifth planet. Neelix volunteers to be their guide and they accept.

Meanwhile, Kim and Torres are being cared for in the Ocampa medical facility. Although they now live in a subterranean society, the Ocampa inhabited the planet's surface until it was struck by an environmental disaster 500 years ago. Since that time, they have lived underground, with all their needs provided by the man they refer to as the Caretaker.

Beaming down to the planet's surface, Neelix introduces Janeway to the Kazon, a savage alien species that has taken possession of the arid Ocampan world. Janeway asks Jabin, the Kazon leader, if he can help them, but he refuses.

Neelix is hoping Jabin will trade Kes, an Ocampan woman he is holding captive, for some of Voyager's precious water. But the Kazon are more interested in obtaining all of Voyager's technology — forcibly. When Jabin tries to take the crew hostage, Neelix helps them escape and beam back to the ship, along with Kes.

Kim and Torres persuade an Ocampan nurse to show them a route that could lead to the surface. On Voyager, Kes agrees to lead Janeway and the others through the tunnels to her underground city to search for the pair.

As the Array increases the rate of the energy pulses that power the city, Kim and Torres begin their journey, narrowly missing the search party from Voyager. Tuvok theorizes that the increased activity of the Array may indicate that the Caretaker is dying; he is clearly attempting to give them a surplus of power that will sustain the Ocampa after he is gone.

The search is complicated by a new turn of events. The Array is now firing a weapon at the planet to seal up all of the energy conduits, the tunnels that provide the only access to the city. This will protect the Ocampans, but prevent the others from escaping. Splitting up, Paris, Neelix and Kes find Kim and Torres, and send them up to Voyager. Then Paris and Neelix go back for Janeway, Tuvok and Chakotay. Chakotay's skepticism towards Paris' loyalty is erased when Paris saves his life.

Returning to the Array, Janeway again encounters the old man, whom she realizes is the Caretaker. He explains that he was bringing beings from across the galaxy to the Array in the hopes of finding a compatible species with which he could procreate, thus providing the Ocampa with someone to care for them after he dies. But no species has been a match so far.

Janeway tries to convince the Caretaker to send Voyager and the Maquis ship back home, but he refuses. Apparently, the Caretaker wants to destroy the Array so that it won't fall into the invading Kazon's hands. But he dies before he can carry out his plan, and Janeway is left to decide whether to use the Array to get home — which would leave it intact for the Kazon — or to destroy it and save the Ocampa. She chooses what seems to be the only moral option and makes a mortal enemy of the Kazon.

With Chakotay's ship destroyed in the battle with the Kazon, Janeway asks the Maquis to become part of Voyager's crew. She also allows Neelix and Kes to stay aboard. With Chakotay her First Officer, Tom Paris reinstated as a Starfleet lieutenant, and Torres and Kim cured by the Emergency Medical Hologram, Janeway and her new crew set course for the long trip home, 70,000 light-years away.

Cast:

Kate Mulgrew as Kathryn Janeway

Robert Beltran as Chakotay

Roxann Dawson as B'Elanna Torres

Robert Duncan McNeill as Tom Paris

Ethan Phillips as Neelix

Robert Picardo as The Doctor

Tim Russ as Tuvok

Garrett Wang as Harry Kim

Jennifer Lien as Kes

Guest Cast:

Josh Clark as Lt. Carey

Martha Hackett as Seska

Justin Williams as Jarvin

Creative Staff:

Director: Kim Friedman

Teleplay By: Brannon Braga

Story By: Jim Trombetta

Related Items:

Ilidaria

Keloda

Ilidarians

feragoit goulasah

pejuta

A great beginning to a Trek series, if not one of the best! Great start for the cast and crew of the Voyager (the only problem I have is the Intrepid class ships, which IMO are an eyesore) and the Maquis conflict assimilating to the ship make great future storylines.

Also a 4. As I said in my review of Pt. I, since the DVD didn't separate, I'm not sure where the two separate. If you don't see this episode first, Neelix will not make any sense. And he probably still won't, but whatever. Another Roddenberry-esque slam on religion, except in this case, the Caretaker is a real being that exists. This really does put the series in perspective, and for that, cool. It's a nice departure from the other series.

The second hour of the pilot ep for VOY didn't get worse or better. Imo, i thought it stayed fairly consistent with the pace set by the first hour of the ep. I also give this one a 4. :)

I have to agree, but I still gave it a 5. :)

Basically just carry over waht I said about part 1.

I give it a 5.

The only bad part is of Caretaker 2 in pretty much lays the ground work for the Kazon being Voyager's main bad guys for the next three seasons after they destroy the Caretaker Array... Yikes! :congrats:

Sign in to follow this