Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Silicon Avatar

What rating would you give Silicon Avatar?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give Silicon Avatar?

• 5. It?s great, I loved it!
    • 4. It?s good.
    • 3. It?s average.
    • 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 5

Episode #: 4

Production #: 204

Episode Name: Silicon Avatar

Original Air Date: 10.14.91

Review not yet available.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

Brent Spiner as Data

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Guest Cast:

Ellen Geer as Dr. Kila Marr

Susan Diol as Carmen

Director: Cliff Bole

Teleplay By: Jeri Taylor

Story By: Lawrence V. Conley

Related Items:

Melona IV

Boreal III

Brechtian Cluster

Forlat III

Kallisko

rations, camp

wine

Melona IV

Omicron Theta

Crystalline entity

Another very powerful emotional episode.

I felt real sympathy for the doctor who's son was killed by the Crystalline Entity and I totally could understand her hostility and mistrust of Data.

Special credit must go to Ellen Geer as Dr. Kila Marr who's performance was stellar and world-class.

The scene where the Entity was attacking the ship and we could hear their screams of terror was profound, especially when the camera switched to the doctor who was obviously distraught and thinking about what happened to her son.

The Crystalline Entity was a SUPERB villain alien, and it never even said a word.

To the day, when I see a picture of it, I get the creeps. Seriously.

Like the episode that would come later with "Hugh", this is one of those rare episodes where I actually disagreed with Picard's conduct. I would have absolutely killed the Crystalline Entity and thought that the actions of the doctor were completely justified. At times I feel that Picard's sense of personal honour and his explorationary spirit were misplaced and he needed to remember his military duty too.

Anyway, I'm going on too long here.

Gold Standard Episode.

Rating = 5

For me, this episode painted itself into a corner to where by the time they figure out how to establish contact, I knew I wouldn't be happy with the outcome of this episode either way (and I've seen it before, mind you, but you get what I'm saying.) Either it wimps out with the peaceful negotiation, or a violent outburst where the Enterprise would have had to destroy it, or someone on the Enterprise proves to be the aggressor. The last, which happens, is the least predictable, but still kinda so given the character of Marr. Geer's acting was phenomenal, and I think no one could have pulled it off as well as she did. Even so, I might have been able to give it a 5 if they had changed the ending between Marr and Data. That just disappointed me, and I think it needed some fixing. Other than that, good episode. 4.

Sign in to follow this