• 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 3

Episode #: 23

Production #: 171

Episode Name: Sarek

Original Air Date: 05.14.90

Ambassador Sarek comes aboard the Enterprise for one last mission - the establishment of relations with a species called the Legaran. As soon as he arrives, havoc ensues among the crew. When Picard learns that the reason for the crew's behaviour is linked to Sarek having Bendii Syndrome, a rare neurological condition that causes the loss of emotional control in Vulcans, he must find a way to help the Vulcan dignitary or cancel the conference. When Sarek pleads for the continuation of the conference, Picard agrees to a mindmeld which will allow Sarek to channel his emotions to Picard so he can maintain control.

This episode marked the fourth time Mark Lenard portrayed Sarek although it was his first appearance on The Next Generation.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

Brent Spiner as Data

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher

Guest Cast:

Colm Meaney as Miles O'Brien

Joanna Miles as Perrin

Mark Lenard as Sarek

Rocco Sisto as Sakkath

William Denis as Mendrossen

John H. Francis as Science Crewman

Director: Les Landau

Teleplay By: Peter S. Beagle

Story By: Marc Cushman and Jake Jacobs

Related Items:

Bendii Syndrome

Legara IV

Legarans

Alpha Cygnus IX

Merrimack, U.S.S.

Wesley Crusher

Vulcans

This episode saw two stellar performances from Patrick Stewart and the late Mark Lenard.

A very emotional and heavy episode. The scene where the normally emotionally stoic Sarek began to cry while listening to a beautiful piece of music was absolutely brilliant.

Patrick Stewart's magnificent performance when he served to host Sarek's emotions deserved much praise.

Gold Standard episode.

Rating = 5

A brilliant performance by Patrick Stewart, especially in the scene in which he is experiencing Sarek's emotions. Mark Lenard's reprisal of the role of Sarek was also wonderful.

A wonderful episode with wonderful performances (as noted by previous posters) by Mark Lenard and Patrick Stewart. I found the introduction of the idea of a Vulcan disease that would attack their control of emotions quite interesting and thought provoking.

The Star Trek universe lost an exellent character and wonderful actor with the passing of Mark Lenard. I consider myself fortunate to have heard him speak at a convention and to have obtained his autograph.

Great performance by Mark Lenard in this episode. I also had the honor of meeting Mark at a con along with his twin daughters.

Absolutely heart-rending and emotional; I loved seeing what goes on in a Vulcan's head via Picard...I gave it a 5.

Plus, as you can tell from my sig line, I happen to love Sarek. :laugh:

Sign in to follow this