Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

The Offspring

What rating would you give The Offspring?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give The Offspring?

• 5. It?s great, I loved it!
    • 4. It?s good.
    • 3. It?s average.
    • 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 3

Episode #: 16

Production #: 164

Episode Name: The Offspring

Original Air Date: 03.12.90

Data constructs an offspring after attending a cybernetics conference. As Data helps his daughter near sentience, a visit from an admiral from Starfleet Research has a devastating effect.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

Brent Spiner as Data

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Whoopi Goldberg as Guinan

Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher

Guest Cast:

Hallie Todd as Lal

Nicholas Coster as Admiral Anthony Haftel

Judyann Elder as Ballard

Director: Jonathan Frakes

Written By: Rene Echevarria

Related Items:

Galor IV

submicron matrix transfer technique

Another powerful episode which keeps the very strong season 3 of TNG progressing with an incredible standard of quality writing.

Hallie Todd (who would go on to play Hilary Duff's mom in Lizzie McGuire) is incredible in this role as Lal. Brent Spiner and the actor who played the Admiral were both superb in their performances.

I find it interesting that despite the fact Data was given individual rights in "Measure Of A Man", his daughter didn't have the same rights and was basically treated like a piece of property by Starfleet.

Very sad episode at the end when Lal begins to feel fear and eventually "dies".

Very powerful material.

Another Gold Standard episode.

Rating = 5

This episode marked Jonathan Frakes' first foray in the director's chair and he did a wonderful job. Helped along by brilliant performances by Brent Spiner and Hailie Todd, this episode is a classic emotional rollercoaster.

Watching Data as he copes with being a parent was a treat. From the comedic touches (Lal kissing Riker, Lal "playing" catch) to the emotional ending, this episode had it all. I doubt anyone could keep the tears from flowing during the scene in which Lal and Data say goodbye. No matter how many times I've seen this episode, it still affects me.

It was also interesting to watch how Picard came to Data's defence when Admiral Halftel ordered that Lal be taken to his ship. Despite his own initial misgivings over what Data had done, he was still there for Data in defending the parental rights of his android second officer.

Definitely a 5.

I watched this episode for the first time last night.

Oh god!

I was crying so hard!

and I don't cry easliy!

At the start when Lal had the option of choosing an appearance, I would have loved her to choose the Klingon boy!!!!!

But the appearance suited her very well.

I'm still puzzled to how she developed emotions, when several years later, Data ahs to use a Chip for HIS emotions.

Meh, Still a VERY POWERFULL episode, I LOVED IT!!!

I believe Data was had the ability to have emition back than, but was told and reforced by the people around that he didn't. I wasn't surprised when Lal develop emotions herself. For me it was best episode from the third season.

This was a very emotional and powerful episode despite being directed by Frakes.

Sign in to follow this