• 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 3

Episode #: 8

Production #: 156

Episode Name: The Price

Original Air Date: 11.13.89

Negotiations for management rights to the Barzan wormhole, believed to be the first stable wormhole discovered, are taking place aboard the Enterprise. An instant attraction between Deanna Troi and the Chrysalian delegate, Devinoni Ral leads to an intense relationship. As Ral maneouvers and manipulates his way through the negotiations, two shuttles - one from the Enterprise and one Ferengi - go through the wormhole in order to ascertain whether it is stable or not. Ral makes a deal with the Barzans before the Enterprise shuttle returns with the information that only the Barzan end of the wormhole is stable and that is only temporary. The Ferengi shuttle is trapped in the Delta Quadrant when its crew failed to heed the warnings of La Forge and Data.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

Brent Spiner as Data

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher

Guest Cast:

Colm Meaney as Miles O'Brien

Matt McCoy as Devinoni Ral

Castulo Guerra as Dr. Mendoza

Elizabeth Hoffman as Bhavani

Kevin Peter Hall as Leyor

Scott Thomson as Goss

Dan Shor as Dr. Arridor

Director: Robert Scheerer

Written By: Hannah Louise Shearer

Related Items:

Blood pyrasites, distillate

Reaction, histaminic

Barzan II

Hurkos III

Wormhole, stable

Barzan wormhole

Barzans

Caldonians

Chrysalians

Caldonia

Shuttlepod 9

chocolate sundae

Delta Quadrant

Quadrants, Galactic

Ferengi shuttle

shuttle, Ferengi

Betazoids

A strong episode that first introduced us to the "Wormhole" idea in Star Trek that would be so important later in the franchise. This story was actually concluded in the VOY episode "False Profits".

Matt McCoy has always been a likable actor and even Counselor Troi was tolerable in this episode with a believable relationship and in fact she's the one who uncovers the plot. McCoy's character himself was quite sympathetic since he's doing the job he's been sent to carry out.

The negotiations themselves were very interesting too and of the Ferengi were a riot, especially when that guy was asking for a chair over and over again.

Rating = 3

The comical...almost farcical side of the Ferengis is really done to the hilt on this one. McCoy's character is likable, but he doesn't really appear to be all that deep, and in the end, despite his apologies, he isn't that likable really. Sirtis does quite well in this one, as does Frakes. 4.

Arridor_and_Kol_shocked.jpg

I gave it a 5. I'm probably being too generous, however with Devinoni Ral/Troi love story and the Ferengi it was a pretty enjoyable episode. Its also a good example of why I'm such a big Next Gen fan. Interesting from start to finish and no one got killed or beat to a bloody pulp as was the case in most episodes of Enterprise. Just IMO mind you.

Sign in to follow this