Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

The Ensigns of Command

What rating would you give The Ensigns of Command?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give The Ensigns of Command?

• 5. It?s great, I loved it!
    • 4. It?s good.
    • 3. It?s average.
    • 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 3

Episode #: 2

Production #: 149

Episode Name: The Ensigns of Command

Original Air Date: 10.02.89

Data is sent to Tau Cygna V on an away mission. The Class H planet is claimed by the Sheliak as part of a treaty signed with the Federation. When the Sheliak demand the removal of an unwanted human settlement from the planet - a settlement previously unknown to the Federation - the Enterprise is sent to relocate the colonists. The colonists don't want to leave and it is up to Data to convince them to go.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

Brent Spiner as Data

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher

Guest Cast:

Colm Meaney as Miles O'Brien

Eileen Seeley as Ard'rian

Mart McChesney as Sheliak

Richard Allen as Noe

Mark L. Taylor as Haritath

Grainger Hines as Gosheven

Director: Cliff Bole

Written By: Melinda M. Snodgrass

Related Items:

Tau Cygna V

Sheliak

Grizzelas

Artemis, S.S.

Colony transports, Starfleet

Onizuka, Shuttlepod

Challenger, Space Shuttle

A nice strong character building episode for Data.

The romance element was totally believable and it featured two decent performances from the guy who played the stubborn village leader and the young woman who assisted Data.

The Sheliak looked like an interesting race even if physically they looked like big pieces of crap and I liked the sub-plot of diplomatic wrangling between the Shelicrap and Picard.

It ended well with Data finally taking matters into his own hands and forcing them to leave. Also, the village leader came across as having a perfectly understandable reason for staying. He was quite a sympathetic character.

Interesting episode.

Rating = 2

Seeing this side of Data was enjoyable, faced with human stubborness when the facts pointed to action. His method of dealing with the situation was hilarious.

"That was the stun setting." ::adjusts phaser:: "This is not" Boom! There is something you can't argue with.

This also gives a good insight into Picard's ability as a diplomat. We already knew he was accomplished in this respect, but it was great to see it in action.

His readiness to go to battle showed his devotion to the colonists, and when he found the solution you could tell he WAS enjoying himself.

Great epsiode, watch it, right now.

This episode is pretty underrated in my opinion. It was great to see Data take on a leadership role for the first time, and I really liked his friend. I think the best part of the story those was what was happening with the Shiliak and the Enterprise. It was a shame we didn't see more of the Shiliak corporate because they really were interesting and really alien. I loved the scene where Picard is trying to negotiate with the corporate and he turns the tables on 'em.

Riker: You enjoyed that

Picard: You're damned right.

:laugh:

Not only that but they are always lost colonists. Doesn't the Federation keep records of that sort of thing?

Apparently not too well since they had forgotten all about where they marooned Khan...... :laugh:

Sign in to follow this