Sign in to follow this  
ddillard

The Sound of Her Voice

What rating would you give "The Sound of Her Voice"?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "The Sound of Her Voice"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

A spooky ep about a rescue attempt. The crew keep the victim company by talking to her. When they arrive at her location, they are remiss to find that she has been dead for years. An apparent irregularity in the atmosphere of the planet that she was stranded on also affected communications with the space time fabric- in effect the crew were conversing with a woman from the past and long dead. This ep is the equivalent of a good twilight zone ep.

4. It would have been a 5, if they hadn't pulled the lame time-twistin' atmosphere bit. It would have been just fine if they just weren't in time. Seriously, they took from it all with that. And Quark and Odo was ok, too.

This is an exceptional episode. What I like about it best is that it brings out some realizations among the characters. Bashir realizes that he may sometimes be too wrapped up in his work, to the detriment of his relationships. He voices this sentiment at the end at the wake which they all attend. Miles O'brien also voices his concerns about how important it is to maintain friendships even in the midst of war in which they have all become entangled. He is also responsible for the foreshadowing of Jadzia's death when he remarks about how someday someone will be missing from their circle and the camera goes to a two-shot of Jadzia and Worf.

All-in-all, DS9 did a fairly good job of illustrating the tragic and personal nature of war. This episode went a long way toward that end.