Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Dear Doctor

What rating would you give "Dear Doctor"?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Dear Doctor"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 013

Season: 1 Episode: 12

DVD Disc: 4

Air Date: 01.23.2002

Mission Date: Unknown

Review not yet available.

Cast:

Scott Bakula as Jonathan Archer

John Billingsley as Dr. Phlox

Jolene Blalock as T'Pol

Dominic Keating as Malcolm Reed

Anthony Montgomery as Travis Mayweather

Linda Park as Hoshi Sato

Connor Trinneer as Charles "Trip" Tucker III

Guest Cast:

Kellie Waymire as Elizabeth Cutler

David A. Kimball as Esaak

Chris Rydell as Alien Astronaut

Karl Wiedergott as Larr

Alex Nevil as Menk Man

Creative Staff:

Director: James A. Contner

Teleplay By: Maria Jacquemetton & Andre Jacquemetton

Related Items:

M'klexa

Matalas

Menk

niaxilin

priaxate

trifluorinate

Valakis

Kaybin bar

The crew comes in contact with a species that is dying of a mysterious illness and it’s up to the Dr. Phlox to find the cure or it might spell out the extinction of the entire species.

I love this episode. It’s solely dedicated to the character that is Dr. Phlox. “Dear Doctor” gives us a good look at his character and his morals, including his love life. While he is searching for a cure, he is becoming even more aware that someone on board may have a crush on him. There is no Prime Directive at this time and the doctor tries hard to discover if there is such a thing as helping too much.

Meanwhile, Archer is faced with another dilemma when the inhabitants of the planet suggest that he teaches them about warp drive so that they will be able to travel across the universe as fast as the Enterprise. This planet does not have the capability yet for warp and they feel they need it so they can find a cure faster for this deadly disease. What’s a captain to do? Find out by watching!

Like I said, this “Dear Doctor” is great character development for the one Dr. Phlox, not to mention, it’s just a great story as well. This is definitely one of the best episodes out of the first season of this fantastic series.

***** out of *****

3. Dr. Phlox is to me what Father Mulcahey was to a lot of M*A*S*H fans...whenever you see an episode that revolves around him, rolling of the eyes occur. Phlox is just a hard character to take seriously, for me. Showing some of his character development with this episode helped, but the fact that it was done so similarly to "Data's Day" kind of dampered it for me. And Archer's prophesy about the Prime Directive was waaaaaaaaay to big on the please-tell-me-he-didn't-just-say-that factor.

Sign in to follow this