Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Is There In Truth No Beauty?

What rating would you give "Is There In Truth No Beauty?"?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Is There In Truth No Beauty?"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 062

Season: 3 Episode: 5

DVD Disc: 2

Air Date: 10.18.1968

Stardate: 5630.7

Official review not yet available.

Cast:

Leonard Nimoy as Spock

DeForest Kelley as Leonard H. McCoy

James Doohan as Montgomery Scott

Walter Koenig as Pavel Andreievich Chekov

Nichelle Nichols as Uhura

George Takei as Hikaru Sulu

Guest Cast:

Diana Muldaur as Dr. Miranda Jones

David Frankham as Lawrence Marvick

Creative Staff:

Director: Ralph Senensky

Written By: Jean Lissette Aroeste

Related Items:

Medusans

This episode was good in that it kept me guessing. I thought that Miranda was already mad, as shown by her incredible capacity for jealousy, that she could withstand the Medusans...as in you can't be driven insane if you already are. Then BOOM, you find out the true secret. Spock's melding goes smoothly and gets them back on course, all goes well and OOPS, forgot the visor. Scotty letting his guard down was good in that it was understandable how it happened.

The downside was Miranda's character. Diana Muldaur played her very well, no doubt, especially in the brief bit she didn't have the sensors on her, but it seems that the viewer is supposed to like Miranda at the end, that in bringing Spock back, she has redeemed herself as well, but I just didn't get that feeling in the end. I didn't feel she had redeemed herself all that much. And given how much of a frosty woman Miranda was, I couldn't relate to the men fawning over her. Again, attractive woman, but the character's personality makes the awestriking of the men seem a little tough to believe.

Overall a 4.

I thought this was a great episode. I also wonder why all the guys were fawning over such a stuck-up character as Miranda. Her sensor web was pretty cool. A precurser to Geordi's visor, perhaps? As always, Diana Muldaur gave a great performance.

A good ep. Kate Muldaur shines in this ep, as she would years later as Dr. Pulaski during TNG's 2nd season. I liked the sensor dress-prescient tailoring that is imo far cooler than Geordi's visor. Fun ep and the Medusan ambassador's appearance was interesting.

Edited by GhostofMajorHayes

2121464332_96724bab47_o.jpg

Nitpick: At the end of the episode Spock wears his Red Visor to Transport Ambassador Carlos. Kirk is right next to him the entire time with no visor. Humans that see a Medusan are supposed to go Mad. Vulcans are somewhat protected if they wear the protective visor. Kirk should not even be in the tranporter room with the Medusan Ambassador and that was a HUGE mistake.

I still give it a B - good episode. Most fans really beat up on the 3rd season of TOS, however there were several fairly strong episodes like this one that balance out a few clunkers.

new_tosr062_15.jpg

The Medusan ship wasn't shown in the original (although it was mentioned in the dialog), so this is the only time we get to see it. This was my favorite new effect from the remastered episode.

Sign in to follow this