Sign in to follow this  
Sam The Smuggler

Direct and Indirect Trek References

I was reading my book "Chariots for Apollo" which is about the making if the Lunar Modules for the Apollo program. In it, the writer was speaking of Jesco Von Puttkamer and his role in the design of the LM and that he was in a hurry to finish his work one night so he could get home to watch his favorite TV show... Star Trek.
I might be wrong about this, but, I believe Von Putkamer may have been a consultant on Star Trek:TMP; I recall an old 'Starlog' mag I have from back then, in which he was interviewed about some subject....I would dig it out to be sure, but..nah.

Watching some of the Twilight Zone marathon this weekend we saw an Episode starring John Anderson who, later in his career, played Kevin Uxbridg in TNG episode The Survivors.

While watching it, I was struck by how closely this "Goldsmith" character Anderson was playing resembled the later "Uxbridge" character. Of course, 'cept for being younger, in 'appearance', but it went beyond that. It was like this 'Goldsmith' character WAS 'Uxbridge' at some time later in his existence.

Here, Goldsmith is trying to help a small group of people in a post nuclear holocaust environment stay alive when a jeep full of military personnel arrive in town. Their Commanding officer wants to relieve Goldsmith from his position of authority over these townsfolk and eventually convinces them He'd be a better person to be running the town. He then talks them into eating food which has been around since the holocaust occurred but Goldsmith had kept them from eating because he knew it would poison them. Through all this Goldsmith is gentle as a lamb, never raising fists to physically fight the intruders but only speaking reasonably.

In the end he was right. As everyone else lay dead he slowly walks away up the middle of the street and Serling begins his closing monologue:

"A sole survivor..."

I was walking near my old neighborhood about a week-plus ago, and happened to glance to my right, where there was a small sign-and-lettering business, with samples of types offered placed on the front window...and what did I see..but a Ferengi symbol, and the Klingon Trefoil we all know so well!! I was tempted to go in, and ask for the owner-and see if, and surely they must be-'Are you a Trekkie!?'....

I was watching Jeopardy today - it's the Teen Tournament. They had a category on Star Trek (2009) and the girl who won the game ran the category. She's going to be in the final now.

After Jaison was voted out of Survivor 19 (last season) he was at Ponderosa and being interviewed and they asked him what he was going to do now, he said he was going to go watch Star Trek (He had the DVD of the new movie in his hand as he spoke).

Another reference was also from last year, an episode of CSI (Vegas) where bodies were found to have green blood. Of course there were references to Star Trek there lol. Not the first time for CSI to use references to Star Trek though.

"Tell Me Why, I Bid On Shatner's Old Toupee..."

Song: "eBay"

Album: Poodle Hat

"I'm fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon." and "Only question I ever thought was hard was 'Do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?'"

Song: "White & Nerdy"

Album: Straight Outta Lynwood

Additionally, in the music video for this song, the last shot is of Weird Al performing the Vulcan salute.

I LOVE the song "White and Nerdy"!! My brother & I used to be able to sing it word for word! But then again, my brother & I sound a bit like the main subject of the song anyhow. LOL! Well, moreso when we were both younger we were a bit more nerdy.

Can't say I am no longer a nerd, since my ex-coworkers used to pick on me because I was often seen/heard singing "eBay" in the break room & the pharmacy (I was a tech) when "I want it that way" would come on. Oh, well.

Direct indirect references that are a bit more personal... though the inspiration for one of my daughter's names came from a character in two non-Trek movies, and my other daughter's name had other inspirations as well(inadvertantly mythological for both too, after I swore I was not going to do that on purpose). I realized recently my girls both have Trek related names. My younger daughter's is spelled different from a Trek character, and the other Trek character's name is a derivitive/diminutive form of my older daughter's name. LOL! Trek fan thru and thru I guess!

The movie Oblivion has some pretty awesome Star Trek references, as it has George Takei in it.

At one point his character, Doc Valentine, is holding a bottle of Jim Beam and says, "Jim, beam me up!"

Later, he asks the character Zack Stone to hand him his "tricorder."

A terrible film, even by camp standards, but I enjoyed those references. :)

Diana

Edited by savagediana