Sign in to follow this  
Q stole my bike

Trills

Ok, I know that when a trill gets a new host it it keeps all its memories/personality traits/etc and they kind of combine with the host's personality and memories. Would a trill retain the memories of its host when it gets a new one? And what if the personality of the trill and the personality of the host are polar oppisite? I've been losing sleep over this.

I found this at startrek.com:

Since the symbiont integrates each new host's personality with its own after joining, Trill relationships are often hard for single-unit species to deal with and sometimes don't survive the change. Aside from the exceptions like Curzon, Trills are usually very responsible and moderate or reserved in personality; the symbionts don't seek romance and try to adhere to a "higher plane," feeling it a nuisance and a weakness of the young — although the host body occasionally indulges, as Curzon and Odan did.

The symbiont does carry memories of time shared with each of its hosts, and each new combination — aside from gender, height and weight — carries a different blood type, metabolism, nervous system, and brain wave pattern. The complex brain carries two cerebral nuclei — one in each being, linked together — whose brain wave patterns can each be scanned separately as well as together. The two are biologically interdependent but at 93 hours after their joining, neither can survive without the other.

Also this:

Unless its current Joined Host objects, a prospective Host may request a specific symbiont.

So, I think since the personalities are integrated that it wouldn't be possible for the two personalites to be polar opposites. And especially since the previous host may have a say in the choosing of the next host, that would also help to prevent any "personality conflict."

That is ver true Indy. But i have to admit trills do have a hard life because all of those memories both good and bad.

If a trill worm gets removed and the host survives, all the memories will be gone, unless the worm is placed back in.

And what if the personality of the trill and the personality of the host are polar oppisite?

182446[/snapback]

One instance I can think of in which the host and symbiont have a "personality conflict" is in the case of Joran Dax.

Click For Spoiler
Joran Belar was host to Dax before Curzon. Upon joining, Joran Dax committed multiple murders of Trill on the homeworld. As a result, the Symbiosis Commission extracted Joran from Dax (killing Joran), put the Dax symbiont back in its pool habitat to recooperate from the experience, and completely wiped out the entire memory of the joining. Curzon never knew Joran Dax existed, the memories began to surface when Jadzia heard music composed by Joran.

The only other occurance I can think of is when Verad tried to steal Dax's symbiont. The conflict here was that Jadzia (and Sisko and everyone on DS9) wanted Verad to return the Dax symbiont, while Verad Dax wanted to exist as a joined entity.

If there is a conflict, the authorities (if on the homeworld, the Symbiosis Commission) would need to remove the symbiont from the host, and either restore it to its rightful host or return it to the symbiont pools on Trill.

Edited by zmbsrxq