Sign in to follow this  

The Passion of Christ

I enjoyed it. I dont see why there is so much contraversey. There were a few times when I started having that strange feeling in my stomach that shoots up your back when you were about to vomit, but NOT because of the gore, but because of not being able to believe that someone would be capable of torturing another person. I have seen slasher films that were more gory. There were, however people who left the movie right before the crucifiction, and I heard quite a few people crying throughout the movie. I even got choked up a few times.

The Jews were according to the Bible responsible for demanding that Jesus be crucified, and Pilate showing sympathy, and not wanting to sentence him to death. So, why the contraversey? Because Mel Gibson made a movie about what Christians believe. If they made a movie about Muslim, or Buddhist teaching, no one would care, and it would be hailed as a great movie showing how "diverse" we Americans are. But, the "in" thing to do in modern pop culture is to blast Christianity. Freedom of speech goes right out the window when Christianity is involved.

The actor who played Jesus was great. I cant remember his name, but he played Edmond Dantes in "The Count of Monte Cristo". In a stroke of irony, this is his second movie where he is whipped. There is also, a demon who taunts Jesus throughout the movie, and I thought the symbolism of this demon was very well done.

The actor who played Judas deserves an Oscar in my opinion, as does the one who plays Jesus.

Everyone knows what is in the Bible, so going into detail about the plot would be pointless. I give it :blink: :blink: :dude::dude: of :dude::dude::dude::dude: for accuracy, and a very good, thought provoking, well done, and powerful movie.

What I took from the movie was the feeling that I had forgotten...or maybe never even knew...the magnitude of what it meant for Jesus to die on the cross for OUR sins.

Oh, I almost forgot...The movie is in another language. Hebrew, or Italian, I believe. There are English subtitles, but that doesnt take away from the movie at all. In fact, it seems to add something to it.

Go see it.

Hey I just saw it too

I Encourage everyone to ignore whatever people have been saying about the movie.Go judge for yourself

It was Jim Cavisal(last name is spelled wrong i think) was a magical and at the same time tortured(literally) Jesus

And all other counts a big DITTO.It was according to Gospel and maybe only the true believers i Christ will get it(or anyone who actually read the Bible)

i'm also half Eastern European(Jews) Did i think this movie was Anti-semitic..Yes JESUS WAS A JEW! HE DIED FOR OUR SINS! So how can the a movie be Anti-semetic when half of the characters are JEWISH ..On the other hand the Rabbis in the movie are villified.But its Accourding to the texts of the New testament.

The Violence is a little much.It is very shocking.But it moved me to tears

THIS IS NOT A KIDS MOVIE.LEAVE THE KIDS AT HOME!

Thats all for me

I would like to go see it, but I'm too emotional about it and would rather

wait and watch it in the privacy of my home...I wil cry when he is tortured

and I'd rather not in a room of hundreds of people.I cried watching the commercials on tv.

i think Mel Gibson made one very good movie and that was BRAVEHAERT

and now he want to do it more over the top.

i did not see the move passion of christ,but i don,t think i want to see it

i think it is a BUMMER

If you realy like to see a good christ movie, go see LIVE OF BRIAN (By Monty Python)

:quark:

and I'd rather not in a room of hundreds of people.I cried watching the commercials on tv.

Trust me, from what I've heard, you wouldn't be any more emotional than half the other people in the theatre. It's an intense film, and I really do hope people are affected emotionally by it.

I'll be seeing it tomorrow with a big college group. I'll let yall know my thoughts when I get back.

I'll probably also wait for video or dvd.

I BELIEVE IN THOSE TIMES IT WAS COMMON PRACTICE AND ACTUALLY THEIR INTENTION TO MAME AND DISFIGURE THE BODIES AS TO BE UNABLE TO DETERMINE WHETHER IT'S A MALE OR FEMALE,

i did not see the move passion of christ,but i don,t think i want to see it

i think it is a BUMMER

Maybe you should see it before passing judgment on it, at least that's the intelligent thing to do, imo. But then, what do I know? :laugh:

This film was excellent. The only bashers are those who haven't seen it yet. Go see it... I think that this is the one movie that everyone should see once in a lifetime... but that no one will probably want to see again. I don't want t give anything away, so go see it!

Click for Spoiler:

the devil really creeped me out though. chill city.

Just got back from it a few hours ago, and it was intense. From a purely theatrical standpoint, it had great acting, great effects (the few times they were used), and was incredibly suspenseful. From my personal standpoint, or any standpoint at all, it was very emotional and affecting. I didn't cry, but there are definitely more than a few parts that will get to you, and got to most of the people in the theatre. I highly recommend that y'all see it, no matter what your views are.

YOU SAY YOUR CANADIAN BYSTY, AHH, THAT EXPLAINS IT.

:)

I... don't understand...

:lol:

THANK YOU TINA FOR empizing MY POINT.. I havn't seen the movie.. and I dont want to... I'm not religious .. i am minor and personallyi could live with out seeing it... I have read the reviews.. its gruesome.. main reason i dont want to see it.. Mel Gibson wanted to make a religious movie.. by all means go ahead!... but wut pisses me off is the religious church people say in general about movies.. "if there is any violence, sex, nudity, profaniy, language, or anti- (wutever their causes are)... in it at all.. dont see it... dont let 12 year olds in a PG-13 movie... and then they are taking 9 and 10 year olds to an R rated movie full of gruesome scenes...... now some explain that to me. .. I mean my friends Pastor says "it will move anyone non Christain to a Chirstian and Current Christians to a higher form of Christianity".. uh,...I dont think so... But of my religious and older relatives they said.. this movie.. needs to be NC-17.. its too violent and gruesome for kids at any age.. based on the reviews andd clips i have seen and read... i tend to agree...

YOU SAY YOUR CANADIAN BYSTY, AHH, THAT EXPLAINS IT.

:lol:

I... don't understand...

:)

Do you go to a private school? The ACLU would be out in the streets in amored tanks if a public school in the US took its students to see this movie (even if not the R rating)

I go to a Catholic school. It is not a private school however. Where I live, the Catholic schools are open to anyone, and are still government funded (however they get alot less funding than public so the student fees are a tad higher). The Catholic schools are just about public schools with religion in them.

THANK YOU TINA FOR empizing MY POINT.. I havn't seen the movie.. and I dont want to... I'm not religious .. i am minor and personallyi could live with out seeing it... I have read the reviews.. its gruesome.. main reason i dont want to see it.. Mel Gibson wanted to make a religious movie.. by all means go ahead!... but wut pisses me off is the religious church people say in general about movies.. "if there is any violence, sex, nudity, profaniy, language, or anti- (wutever their causes are)... in it at all.. dont see it... dont let 12 year olds in a PG-13 movie... and then they are taking 9 and 10 year olds to an R rated movie full of gruesome scenes...... now some explain that to me. .. I mean my friends Pastor says "it will move anyone non Christain to a Chirstian and Current Christians to a higher form of Christianity".. uh,...I dont think so... But of my religious and older relatives they said.. this movie.. needs to be NC-17.. its too violent and gruesome for kids at any age.. based on the reviews andd clips i have seen and read... i tend to agree...

I think it has much more to do with content than a rating system. A huge number of Christians LOVE the LOTR trilogy, but if I'm not mistaken, TRotK was pg13 or R, right? (I personally didn't care to see LOTR, but to each his own). Most religious people consider "R" a bad rating, because most "R" films have offensive language and gratuitous sexual situations, with violence thrown in. Realize also that there is a huge difference between violence for violence's sake, and the portraying of an historical event to extreme accuracy.

Am I saying anyone should take their younger children to see it? No. I'm a college guy and even I flinched a couple of times. I think it actually depends less on age in general, and more an issue of how mature each specific child is at the time and whether or not they can handle it mentally. I'd say, depending on the kid, the suggested age of 12 is probably about right.

THANK YOU TINA FOR empizing MY POINT

What point?Where did you make it? I was giving a general comment about parents that bring young children to r rated movies.I could do without a baby crying in a movie that i paid 10 dollars for.I noted a hint of sarcasm and i'll ignore it and reiterate my point

LEAVE THE KIDS AT HOME>IT IS TOO VIOLENT FOR THEM

This includes anyone under the age of 18.Its juts too violent.On the other hand the movie is not deserve a NC-17 rating.It is not a violent movie.But there are scenes of Violence in it.EXTREME scenes.but it is accourding to the gospels.

Um its about the cruxafiction of Christ? Do you want it to be a comedy?

;) (Life of Brian is GREAT..But i like this movie too)

the religious church people say in general about movies.. "if there is any violence, sex, nudity, profaniy, language, or anti- (wutever their causes are)... in it at all.. dont see it... dont let 12 year olds in a PG-13 movie... and then they are taking 9 and 10 year olds to an R rated movie full of gruesome scenes...... now some explain that to me...

In fact I have seen lots of warnings on Chrisitian television about the violence in this film, about how it is too extreme for young children, and about knowing a child's maturity before taking him/her to the film for older children. This warning has been echoed in my church. Most groups of young people attending this film are older children..teens.

It is a historical film, not one that has violence and vulgarity for the sake of selling a movie. Many believers go to assist themselves in understanding the sufferings of Jesus Christ. War dramas are usually violent, but it is because the film is about a violent topic.

It is not only Chrisitian groups that object to the gratutitous vulgarity and violence in modern film.

Any groups concerned about the casual superficial intimacy portrayed in modern film take the time to monitor the attendance to such films of their children or young people in their charge.

Well I'm seeing it tomorrow morning. I'm actually quite worried. I know it is going to be a really intense movie emotionally, but I am not looking forward to the torture and crucifiction. I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle it. I'm not good with gore. Our Religious Coordinator at my school keeps emphasizing that it IS NOT a movie for everyone, and that it could be too much for some. I don't know. Gory movies + me = an unenjoyable experience.

Well bysty, try not to go with any preconceived notions... you may find it an incredible experience. A few things disturbed me, but they actually weren't the gorey violent things, they were more subtle and spiritual. I'll admit though, I couldn't watch them drive the nails. It was too much. At least let me know what you think. Remember... you can always look down! ;)

Don't worry I plan to look down. Lol. If people think I am a weenie, so be it, because I am. Lol. And my girlfriend feels the same way and she's pretty faithful. She was worried that she would cry or something, but she says she doesn't care because I'll understand. I'm pretty in tune with my emotions.

That's good... I cried, and that was really off, for me. My friends say I'm pretty stoic and it takes alot to make me cry during a movie... But again, it wasn't the crucifiction or the flogging that made me cry. Gore doesn't really get to me...

Oh......... my..........

Click for Spoiler:

I am in shock and awe at the same time.

That was one of the, if not the, most moving movies I have ever seen. I can not get over it. I saw it and it was over at around 12:00. It's already 4:30 and I can't get over it. It moved me to tears, something that doesn't happen to me in movies.

This was an amazing movie. Every time you hear of the Passion, it is a censored fairy tale. You know that Jesus suffered for us, but you can not comprehend it. This movie forces you to feel the pain, the hurt, the suffering. From the moment Jesus picked up the cross after the flogging until after He had died, I was crying. That was at least 20 minutes. And during the flogging I flinched every time He was hit by the whip. Every lashing. And when they brought out the spiked whip, it got even worse. I wasn't sure if I could watch it. I am not good with that stuff, but I made myself watch it because I needed to see it. And from before the flogging until well after the movie was over, I couldn't stop shaking. It was like I was shivering, but I was not cold. That movie really affected me.

Every time Jesus feel with the cross, I broke down. The third time was the worst when Mary had the flashback of Him falling as a child, and her helping Him up. Wow. That really got me going. The part that made me cry the most was when they were nailing in the stakes. It's strange to say that a movie made me completely cry, but it did. The only other movie to ever make me cry was Saving Private Ryan.

I loved the symbolism in this film. Satan looked just like a snake and he seemed to hover about the crowd, not walk. And Satan's demonic child. Babies are the sign of innocence, but this one also shows that everyone is capable of evil. We must choose the right path. Also babies are a sign of the future. If we choose the wrong path, we will have an evil future. Also, the Bible always spoke of blood and water pouring out of Jesus' spear wound. I had never thought about that before. I was talking to my girlfriend, and we kind of figured out that the water is pure, therefore showing how pure Jesus was. Great symbolism.

Many people say they did not show enough of the resurrection at the end. I think it was absolutely perfect. You have just witnessed something so terribly horrific and you are really overwhelmed. To have shown alot of it would have ruined the effect of the film. The way they did it was perfect. You were completely overwhelmed and teary eyed, and right at the end, you get a well-earned glimmer of hope.

This is a must see for anyone that is religious. Yes it is really violent, but it is not violent for the sake of being violent. It is putting us into Jesus' shoes. When I watched this movie, it did not feel like a movie. I felt as if I was in the crowd watching it all. This was a powerful movie. But bring kleenex. My girlfriend was absolutely balling. But we went for some tea afterward and it calmed her down. When I talk about it, my eyes still water a little. This really struck a chord. This was very personal. This touched me.

I give this film a 10/10. I couldn't stop crying for the last half hour.

Oh......... my..........

Click for Spoiler:

I am in shock and awe at the same time.

That was one of the, if not the, most moving movies I have ever seen. I can not get over it. I saw it and it was over at around 12:00. It's already 4:30 and I can't get over it. It moved me to tears, something that doesn't happen to me in movies.

This was an amazing movie. Every time you hear of the Passion, it is a censored fairy tale. You know that Jesus suffered for us, but you can not comprehend it. This movie forces you to feel the pain, the hurt, the suffering. From the moment Jesus picked up the cross after the flogging until after He had died, I was crying. That was at least 20 minutes. And during the flogging I flinched every time He was hit by the whip. Every lashing. And when they brought out the spiked whip, it got even worse. I wasn't sure if I could watch it. I am not good with that stuff, but I made myself watch it because I needed to see it. And from before the flogging until well after the movie was over, I couldn't stop shaking. It was like I was shivering, but I was not cold. That movie really affected me.

Every time Jesus feel with the cross, I broke down. The third time was the worst when Mary had the flashback of Him falling as a child, and her helping Him up. Wow. That really got me going. The part that made me cry the most was when they were nailing in the stakes. It's strange to say that a movie made me completely cry, but it did. The only other movie to ever make me cry was Saving Private Ryan.

I loved the symbolism in this film. Satan looked just like a snake and he seemed to hover about the crowd, not walk. And Satan's demonic child. Babies are the sign of innocence, but this one also shows that everyone is capable of evil. We must choose the right path. Also babies are a sign of the future. If we choose the wrong path, we will have an evil future. Also, the Bible always spoke of blood and water pouring out of Jesus' spear wound. I had never thought about that before. I was talking to my girlfriend, and we kind of figured out that the water is pure, therefore showing how pure Jesus was. Great symbolism.

Many people say they did not show enough of the resurrection at the end. I think it was absolutely perfect. You have just witnessed something so terribly horrific and you are really overwhelmed. To have shown alot of it would have ruined the effect of the film. The way they did it was perfect. You were completely overwhelmed and teary eyed, and right at the end, you get a well-earned glimmer of hope.

This is a must see for anyone that is religious. Yes it is really violent, but it is not violent for the sake of being violent. It is putting us into Jesus' shoes. When I watched this movie, it did not feel like a movie. I felt as if I was in the crowd watching it all. This was a powerful movie. But bring kleenex. My girlfriend was absolutely balling. But we went for some tea afterward and it calmed her down. When I talk about it, my eyes still water a little. This really struck a chord. This was very personal. This touched me.

I give this film a 10/10. I couldn't stop crying for the last half hour.

I was just about to PM you and ask what you thought!

Awesome review... I was speechless pretty much, and couldn't write much about it. You captured it well.

Awesome review Bysty..I need to see it for myself..I'll be moved by it too I am sure..