Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Why Was Season 1 So Short?

I bought the season 1 DVD set last night and I watched Caretaker..Very cool..I liked seeing Quark and Morn in the begining of it..That was neat..But my question is: Why was Voyagers first season so short? Only 16 hours of episodes..That's surprising to me and I hope it at least goes up to 20 episodes in the 2nd season..Does anybody know why?

Well, I went to STARTREK.COM and found the Voyager episode listings for Season One. It looks as though Voyager started in January of 1995, so it only ran for half a year that year. As for why it started at the beginning of the year, I don't know about that.

Guest Ktrek

Voyager corresponded to the kick off of Paramount's new network UPN and was their flagship. UPN did not premier till January of 95. It was a short season so that they could start a full season the following fall. I believe all the rest of the seasons are 26 episodes long. Hope this answers your question.

Ktrek

UPN, a new network premiering in January of 1995 wanted a Trek show of it's own. DS9 was locked in syndication deals, so VOY was developed as a result. Season 1 would have been about 20 episodes like DS9's first season, but I believe four of them were produced, but not aired till season 2. "The 37's" was originally going to be the season one finale, but became the season two premiere.

That is very true. I bought the first series on VHS back when it was foirst released and Season 1 was 24 episodes long. The 37s was the last one and was a good ending to the series, with Janeway saying 'take us home or something like that.

That is very true. I bought the first series on VHS back when it was foirst released and Season 1 was 24 episodes long. The 37s was the last one and was a good ending to the series, with Janeway saying 'take us home or something like that.

24 episodes? :flowers: Are you sure that number is correct? :eek:

Only 20 episodes were filmed for season one though... :blink:

Would you please list the 24 episodes? :)

Well, the official site says that there were sixteen episodes in season one. Which does seem to correspond to your "twenty episodes for season one originally, and then four taken away" thing you said earlier. And it does look like "The 37's" was the season two premiere. So it looks like your analysis is right, Captain. Perhaps they released the tapes a little differently than they aired the episodes? It's possible.

Only 20 episodes were filmed for season one though... :laugh:

Would you please list the 24 episodes? :)

Well, the official site says that there were sixteen episodes in season one. Which does seem to correspond to your "twenty episodes for season one originally, and then four taken away" thing you said earlier. And it does look like "The 37's" was the season two premiere. So it looks like your analysis is right, Captain. Perhaps they released the tapes a little differently than they aired the episodes? It's possible.

Nope.

The VHS library had eight tapes with each tape containing two episodes in accordance of broadcast dates. Caretaker was on tape one. The rest of the season was spread over seven additional tapes marking the end of the first season. The thing that got me wondering is why didn't the DVD design team transfer the artwork from the VHS library - re Janeway with Voyager in the foreground and the entire crew on the back jacket - onto the disks? It surely could beat the awfully painfully plain look of this box set disks, I daresay.

According to a Stardate Converter

Voyager started on April, 3 months away. So there's lacking in some episodes. :)

Before it reaches 2372.

UPN, a new network premiering in January of 1995 wanted a Trek show of it's own.  DS9 was locked in syndication deals, so VOY was developed as a result.  Season 1 would have been about 20 episodes like DS9's first season, but I believe four of them were produced, but not aired till season 2.  "The 37's" was originally going to be the season one finale, but became the season two premiere.

That correct. The Voyager companion says that 20 episodes were produced but only 16 were shown in season 1.

UPN, a new network premiering in January of 1995 wanted a Trek show of it's own.  DS9 was locked in syndication deals, so VOY was developed as a result.  Season 1 would have been about 20 episodes like DS9's first season, but I believe four of them were produced, but not aired till season 2.  "The 37's" was originally going to be the season one finale, but became the season two premiere.

That correct. The Voyager companion says that 20 episodes were produced but only 16 were shown in season 1.

That is not what I heard. The second season opener, the 37's was boasted as "something never before been done by a starship" - To land on a planet.

Voyager was originally intended for a September launch but it was delayed in due to the Bujold incident. For a time Voyager was in jeopardy of being halted before its launch. Taylor, Piller and Berman did an excellent job of finding Kate Mulgrew, reshot the pilot episodes and bringing Voyager to air in January. (TV Guide - What really happened to Star Trek Voyager article, 1995)