Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Is Star Trek truly diverse?

I've had this thought going round my head ever since I’ve read a couple of topics about gays on Star Trek – I ignored it because I didn’t want to start anything controversial but I just have to ask this. What do you think diversity really means? Does it mean accepting people who have different viewpoints or cultures or is it more a matter of celebrating those of certain viewpoints who have been labeled “diverse” by the powers that be in society.

I noticed a lot of support for representation of homosexuals. As mentioned in some of the other posts there are people who oppose homosexual activity based on their religious beliefs just like they do adultery or many other things. Many politically correct spin masters use the word "hate" instead of disagree to label these people. In truth most religious people I know don't hate people that engage in the various activities they themselves choose not to do. I believe real diversity would show that people can respectfully disagree yet work together and even be supportive of one another.

There are of course religious lunatics that preach hate but they are the exception that everyone likes to treat as the majority. I find it ironic that through the efforts of the faithful many needy people throughout the world receive food, clothing, shelter, comfort, medical attention and supplies, education, disaster relief, etc. Yet, if you watch television, you would think all religious people were mean-spirited morons.

So my question is why has there never been a Star Trek character (human) that was religious? I mean the type of religious person I know - someone who works a normal job but just happens to believe in God, pray, and read scripture. The Star Trek future seems to imply that religions will disappear in the next century or two. I doubt that will happen, statistics show that the more conservative faiths are the ones experiencing the most growth. And while some people think religion and science don’t mix I’ve known many religious scientists. So I’m waiting for Star Trek to be truly bold and truly go where the Hollywood bureaucrats are afraid to go. But I do not believe it will ever happen. But then again I do not believe Star Trek will be truly diverse until it does.

I thought that DS9 did a pretty good job of touching on the topics of faith and religion with the Bajorans. Kira Nerys was a respected character who still managed to have faith in her religion.

It is true that religion is looked down upon in Star Trek and I think that a lot of that has to do with the fact that Gene Rodenberry was a Humanist. I do think that a somewhat religious character on Enterprise could be interesting and possibly just as contraversal as a gay character.

I do think that a somewhat religious character on Enterprise could be interesting and possibly just as contraversal as a gay character.

I think Worf was the closest thing to a religous character on the Enterprise.

If I remember right, wasn't there an episode in TNG where Picard stated that humanity had stopped worshiping God? I think it was the one where the ship in orbit is believed to be a God, by the people of the planet. I may remember it wrong, as I have not seen it in a while.

If I remember right, wasn't there an episode in TNG where Picard stated that humanity had stopped worshiping God?

Makes sense. Sad to say, organized religion has made a mess out of things. The only way I can see a peaceful earth like the one on Star Trek is if everyone was either of the same religion or none at all.

Makes sense. Sad to say, organized religion has made a mess out of things. The only way I can see a peaceful earth like the one on Star Trek is if everyone was either of the same religion or none at all.

Getting rid of religion sounds more like a "Brave New World" scenario than an advanced society. I don't believe you will ever have peace where you don't have freedom. No one can deny that historically some terrible things have been done in the name of religion. But I don't know how you can say organized religion has made a mess of things as if religion was to blame for all the world's ills. In fact I can think of a great many social ills that wouldn't exist if religion had a stronger influence.