Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Computer Networks / Comp in general

Computer Networks of the future of Star Trek

With the rate that computers are evolving just imagine how advance they will be in “Star Trek time” (or the 24th century) compared to now. About 6 years ago the fasts processor out there was 200 MHz. Now we have about 3 GHz (3,000 MHz). 3.2 GB HD (Hard drive) vs. 200 GB! That’s a jump! The Internet and computer networks are growing faster then we can count. More and more people are putting up a network in there house. You can now connect your electricity controls, temp. controls, and other things through your computer / computer network.

For myself personally

I have a total of two computers.

The computer that I’m using now has 2.2 GHz, 1 GB (1,000 MB) RDRAM, a combo CD-RW / DVD-RW drive, a nVIDA 64 MB video card, 80 GB (80,000 MB) Hard Drive, . . . ..

My main OS is Win XP (Home Edition)

And I have a secondary OS (I have dual boot that allows multiple operating systems) with Red Hat Linux ver 8.

For Networks of Today they run under the OSI Model

The IOS’S OSI (and TCP/IP)

Now networks run on the OSI model. It defines the set of standards on how packets or information travels to point A to point B.

7 - Application

6 - Presentation

5 - Session

4 - Transport

3 - Network

2 - Data Link

1 - Physical

Example: You want to send a message to computer B.

First we need to open our program and type “Hi”, click send, and say we want to send it to Computer B. This is on the application layer of the OSI. Now that message “Hi” needs to go to computer language or machine language (binary 0s & 1s). That’s on the presentation layer. Now we need to open up a connection between computer A and computer B. This is on the session layer. Now we need to make sure this will be a reliable to transport the data (Transport layer). Now how can I send this information to computer B through all these wires with networking devices like a router? This task is on the network layer. Also the IP address (32 bits) is on this layer. Now we need to send it but when? Without getting run over with all those other messages? This is what the Data Link layer does. Also the NIC (network interface card) and the MAC (media access control) address are also on this layer. This layer has 2 sub-layers the LLC (logical link control) and the MAC layer. The last task sending that message using electric signals = the physical layer. After that computer B got the message now it has to go up the layer to decode it!

TCP/IP

Application

Transport

Internet

Network

The internet runs on TCP/IP it just combines some of the layers of the OSI

It will be interesting to see the future protocols that computer networks will have and how integrated they will be. Everything is getting more integrated and is getting more connectivity.

How do you think the future protocols will be?

Do you have any ideas on how the future protocols might work?

. . .

What are the specifications of your computer?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Well I don't know much at all about computers, but I know mine has 2.2 GHz and Windows XP. I think that's good. :)

By the time the 24th century actually got here we'd probably be far more advanced then Star Trek's 24th century.

I am not sure if the transport layers will increase, maybe a better way will be found and they will reduce them.

Processor power is generally unused on personal computers so there is no real drive to increase it.

Server power will always need to be improved.

The next step will be RAM disks, currently people use these memory cards, but the use of large RAM disks on servers will increase their performance considerably, especially for data mining.

I think the next few big steps will come in miniturisation and compression techniques, allowing small credit-card and hand-held devices to become actually useful.

Especially when the Satellite networks come on line in this decade.

Well what kind of computer does everyone have here (besides the ones who already answered that question) / what are its specifications?

Logging Off

I’ll see everyone in a few days!

Master Q

There are two computers in my house. The one I'm using now... the one with the modem... and then mine.

I built mine. It has a geniune Intel motherboard, a Pentium II processor, 128 MB of RAM, about 6 GB of hard drive space, and it runs Windows 98. It's nothing special, really, except for the fact that I built it and I love it to pieces. Well, not literally pieces... but... yeah... And it is so much better than my old one... a 486 with... 8 MB of RAM. And you could hardly do anything on that... just Paint and write in Notepad. And the all important Minesweeper. Heh, that thing had one of those huge five and a quarter floppy drives. Those things are cool.

This one has an AMD Duron processor, 320 MB of RAM, about 11 GB of hard drive space, and it also runs Windows 98. Again... nothing special, I suppose. It's about five years old, and, as you said, a lot can advance in technology over that period of time. But it's had a few upgrades... and we've added a new CD-drive with ReWritable capabilities. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, though.

I personally don't know much about networking. I wish I could take some classes on that, though. It would be something neat to study. I am fascinated by computers and technology, and I hope to go into the IT field. Currently, I want to be a programmer. It's just something that I love doing. But I hope to learn a lot more about the inner workings of computers and such. Programmers don't really get much insight into that. We just expect it all to work. ^-^;; But I'd like to know a little more about how it works. So I'm going to take a few more computer courses next year (I have some more room to allow for them in my schedule.) Yeah, it's going to be fun.

There are two computers in my house.  The one I'm using now... the one with the modem... and then mine.

I built mine.  It has a geniune Intel motherboard, a Pentium II processor, 128 MB of RAM, about 6 GB of hard drive space, and it runs Windows 98.  It's nothing special, really, except for the fact that I built it and I love it to pieces.  Well, not literally pieces... but... yeah...  And it is so much better than my old one... a 486 with... 8 MB of RAM.  And you could hardly do anything on that... just Paint and write in Notepad.  And the all important Minesweeper.  Heh, that thing had one of those huge five and a quarter floppy drives.  Those things are cool.

This one has an AMD Duron processor, 320 MB of RAM, about 11 GB of hard drive space, and it also runs Windows 98.  Again... nothing special, I suppose.  It's about five years old, and, as you said, a lot can advance in technology over that period of time.  But it's had a few upgrades... and we've added a new CD-drive with ReWritable capabilities.  I haven't had a chance to use it yet, though.

I personally don't know much about networking.  I wish I could take some classes on that, though.  It would be something neat to study.  I am fascinated by computers and technology, and I hope to go into the IT field.  Currently, I want to be a programmer.  It's just something that I love doing.  But I hope to learn a lot more about the inner workings of computers and such.  Programmers don't really get much insight into that.  We just expect it all to work.  ^-^;;  But I'd like to know a little more about how it works.  So I'm going to take a few more computer courses next year (I have some more room to allow for them in my schedule.)  Yeah, it's going to be fun.

I once took for fun a Cisco Networking course. I just took 2 semesters, but it was really interesting. The first semester really focuses on the OSI Model and the second semester on Cisco Routers. So if you or anyone wanted to really dig into something like the OSI Model then Cisco is a good choice. (And if you want you could even go as far to complete the four semesters and get the CCNA Certification {that's Cisco Certified Networking Associate})

Master Q

Watch out everyone, the day of the neural interface and computer chips implants are closer then we think. You know, at this rate Earthers may actually evolve into the Borg. Wouldn't that be ironic?

Watch out everyone, the day of the neural interface and computer chips implants are closer then we think.  You know, at this rate Earthers may actually evolve into the Borg.  Wouldn't that be ironic?

Well, it depends. Just because we can interface with machines doesn't mean we will become the Borg!

I once took for fun a Cisco Networking course. I just took 2 semesters, but it was really interesting. The first semester really focuses on the OSI Model and the second semester on Cisco Routers. So if you or anyone wanted to really dig into something like the OSI Model then Cisco is a good choice. (And if you want you could even go as far to complete the four semesters and get the CCNA Certification {that's Cisco Certified Networking Associate})

Master Q

Yeah, I wanted to do Cisco, but I don't have the two years to do it with. I wish I could. Instead I'm taking a class to get A+ certified. So that should be interesting. I'm also going to take a computer graphics and multimedia... just because I want to see what it's like. And something with an insanely large name that's basically solving technology problems.

[Just because we can interface with machines doesn't mean we will become the Borg!

Ahhh, but a neural interface, accomplished by the chip implants would put us on that first step toward becoming a cybernetic organism. The technology is already here. We are so much closer then we realize.

[Just because we can interface with machines doesn't mean we will become the Borg!

Ahhh, but a neural interface, accomplished by the chip implants would put us on that first step toward becoming a cybernetic organism. The technology is already here. We are so much closer then we realize.

They have had some really interesting thing on PBS’s “Scientific America” that had some episodes that really showed that we are getting closer to becoming or being able to become a Borg. So it is true that we are getting closer in have technology getting more integrated with us and with our bodies.

Will we really become a “Borg”?

That makes me think of the question “Will robots / computers take over the planet in the future?”

My initial answer is “no probably not”, but then again you never know . . . no one can say 100%.

Master Q

I think there is a distinction we need to make between Borg, and a cybernetic organisim. We can be cybernetic, but not like the Borg, who try to rule the Universe.

I think there is a distinction we need to make between Borg, and a cybernetic organisim.  We can be cybernetic, but not like the Borg, who try to rule the Universe.

Well I agree to that (and I think that there has been a bit of differentiation between them or at least it was some what implied)

And I personally don’t see us becoming equivalent to or having a direct parallel between us in the future and the Borg. I think everyone’s including xenexian’s post was that we are going move closer to the Borg in terms of cybernetics and not really in the likes of wanting to take over the universe. (I know I kind of went to that and maybe I should of differentiated when I mentioned that so sorry about that)

Master Q

[ I think everyone’s including xenexian’s post was that we are going move closer to the Borg in terms of cybernetics and not really in the likes of wanting to take over the universe

Exactly. Thank you, Master Q, for clarifying what I was trying to point out. If an individual has cybernetic implants that does not make them a Borg in the sense of what we know a Borg to be. Part of what makes the Borg unique is their collective thought patterns. No individuals allowed. But the idea that at some point in the very near future, perhaps even in our own lifetimes, it might not be improbable for someone to have a good percentage of their organics replaced by something cybernetic. In all probability in order to extend their life for whatever reason. Perhaps Michael Jackson. At that point we might have to ask as a society, at what point does the individual cease to be human as we know humans to be? If if someone reaches that point, would we call them Borg Like? Would we even call them human. If you had to make the decision to have a cybernetic implant to save your life would you do it knowing full well that a human part of you will cease to exist? Granted this is a question more for the moralists and philosophers but it still points out the fact that once we take that step of replacing original parts with new improved versions, we become more like the Borg then anyone would care to admit.

Oh, sorry, I must have misinterpreted your post.

Also, about a part of your human existence not existing, couln't you argue that a comperter implant, that say, allowed you to instantly access a dictionary - isn't that just like accessing a high-speed computer now? Haven't our computers now almost become an extention of ourselves?

Sure robots/computers could end up taking over the world some day. It happened in The Matrix. Well... that's fiction... but still...

But Xenexian, I think you would still be human. Even with cybernetic parts. As long as you kept your mind. Your brain. Because I think that... that is what makes us human. It's our mentality, the way we think and act. As long as you keep that part of you, you will always be human.