Sign in to follow this  
Lubak10

Non-trekkers

This has nothing to do with anything, but I need to tell someone.

In my science class today we were talking about the speed of light and how we think time will stop if we go that fast and maybe it will go backwards if we go faster. My teacher decideds to appel to the trekkies in the room and says "Warp speed Mr. Zulu!" :oops: :o

I wanted to smack someone!

It is true that you can’t go faster then the speed of light ( c ).

One thing you did not mention is that if you go as fast as c (the speed of light), then your mass will approach infinity and that in fact wont allow you to travel faster then c

But in ST as you know it tires not to violate the theory of special relativity by using general relativity . . . . . subspace! The idea of subspace falls in the lines of general relativity as a compression of space-time and so forth (you probably know the idea so I’ll stop it there) . . . .

Is this a physics course? Or is something else?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

One thing you did not mention is that if you go as fast as c (the speed of light), then your mass will approach infinity and that in fact wont allow you to travel faster then c

But in ST as you know it tires not to violate the theory of special relativity by using general relativity . . . . .  subspace! The idea of subspace falls in the lines of general relativity as a compression of space-time and so forth (you probably know the idea so I’ll stop it there) . . . .

Master Q

:bow: :o :o

I think you enjoy making me feel stupid. :bow:

yeah i'd probably want to smack some one too! lol ( of course i wouldn't- i'm not a violent person). But at least your not the only trekker in your class garak girl! (at least i think your not becuase you made trekkies plural) I'm like the only one i know who likes start trek! even my mom hates it- its so annoying, shes like making fun of me! but at least my dad likes it with me!, hes the one who got me into it

yeah i'd probably want to smack some one too! lol ( of course i wouldn't- i'm not a violent person). But at least your not the only trekker in your class garak girl! (at least i think your not becuase you made trekkies plural) I'm like the only one i know who likes start trek! even my mom hates it- its so annoying, shes like making fun of me! but at least my dad likes it with me!, hes the one who got me into it

Just keep working on converting them. My husband hated Star Trek when we got married, now he comes home from work and greets me with "Did you remeber to record Star Trek for me?" :o

You have trained your husband well! :bow:  :o

:o :bow: Why thank you. Now if I could just get him to put his dirty clothes in the hamper......

Converting people into Trekdom is sometimes really hard! I have been a TNG fan since the show started(I was 7 at the time), and my sister was a fan to a lesser degree(more of a closet Trek fan, she wanted to appeal to the "in-crowd" you know :o ICK!!!)....and then there was my little brother. True, he was only 1 years old when the series started. But when he got a little older, I tried to get him to watch the series, and he saw the episode where we first get to see the Borg. He thought that the Borg looked and sounded corny, so he completely avoided Trek at all costs! Well several years later I was watching a re-run and my brother said it looked interesting. He asked me what I was watching during a commercial break, and I told him that it was TNG. He just couldn't believe it, he sat down and watched the rest of the episode. And then he caught all of the TNG movies, he is now officially hooked on Trek(even though he says he still likes Star Wars and Farscape better). It took me about 3 or four years to do it, but he has converted, to the point he has tried to catch up on all of the episodes he has ever missed!

Oh god! MR ZULU!!! hehehe...

I've managed to semi-convert one of my friends - she no tolerates it (you know - "yes, Donna. You can put it on *sigh*." And then we argue about wesley. She likes him, for some reason. Still. you have to care at least a bit about something to argue about it.)

My non-trekkie friends just give me a "look" when I start talking about it, but they nkow not to say anything!!

Oh god! MR ZULU!!! hehehe...

I've managed to semi-convert one of my friends - she no tolerates it (you know - "yes, Donna. You can put it on *sigh*." And then we argue about wesley. She likes him, for some reason. Still. you have to care at least a bit about something to argue about it.)

My non-trekkie friends just give me a "look" when I start talking about it, but they nkow not to say anything!!

I've got almost the exact same situation. One of my friends is trying hard to get into it so she can talk more with me but the rest of my friends just give me the eye roll whenever it comes up.

Converting my family was easy. Though I'm the only "die hard" in my family it's safe to say that we are all big fans. Converting friends is something that I have had very little luck with. Either they like Star Trek when I meet them or else they never do. It sucks right now actually because I recently moved and now all of my family and trekkie friends live 1400 miles away! I have had no luck converting any of my roomates.

Thank God for startrekfans.net!

Thank God for startrekfans.net!

Amen to that, Tank.

I was lucky, my husband married me because i was a trekker...and i could cook :)

I have converted friend, but sometimes family is harder. My sister hates it, but i kind of think she just does not understand it.

years ago went i was getting teased, i said something to my dad and he said perhaps the show just went over their head and that was what bothered them. I think he could be right about some...

I hate it when people make comments about Trek when they have no idea what they are talking about. I have tried to convert some of my friends but have not been to successful. But they all keep negative opinions about the show to themselves. Although my best friend is just as big of a fan as I am. We give each other Star Trek gifts for Christmas every year. Last year I got him a Bat'Leth and he got me two bird of prey knives. It has always insured that we have something to talk about when there is not much else going on in our lives. And this year I am going to take him to a convention to thank him for never turning his back on our friendship even when things got rough.

But in ST as you know it tires not to violate the theory of special relativity by using general relativity . . . . .  subspace! The idea of subspace falls in the lines of general relativity as a compression of space-time and so forth (you probably know the idea so I’ll stop it there) . . . .

Master Q

:) :bow: :)

I think you enjoy making me feel stupid. :laugh:

Oh never :o

LOL

But what I said is easier then it looks

When you faster and faster you mass gets greater and greater . . . . . .

(That’s from special relativity)

And in fact the famous “e=mc^2” is from expanding the mass transformation equation and that will get you e=mc^2. Mass and energy are transferable! Those two things are tied together (in a few days or next week I make a topic for the lay man on special relatity in the science board . . . . you will never look at the world the same after you read it LOL . .. but I'll post something and please read it because it will be for you)

Master Q

Dang it master_q, I like you so much, I just wish I understood a word you say. I'll just be your Pinky. :)

They're Pinky and the Brain, yes Pinky and the Brain........ technical.jpg

master_q, you are making my head hurt. :D:bow:

I have noticed that people either get Star Trek or they don't. They either love it or hate it; there's no in between.

But as for that teacher, I would tell him to get his facts straight before he goes quoting people.