Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Did the TNG movies do TNG justice?

Do you think the TNG movies did Star Trek: The Next Generation justice, or did you think they felt contrived or soemthing?

Personally, I think the TNG movies were awesome!

Star Trek: Generations

I thought this was an excellent movie! It was so nice to see the Enterprise-D and the sets in a big-screen movie! I also like the flashback scene with Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov on the Enterprise-B. I'm guessing the El-Aurrian refugees were fleeing towards Earth after their world was destroyed by the Borg. Nice tie in with Guinnan's character, and forshadowing that the next movie would deal with the Borg. Watch carefully, there's a number of scenes that forshadow the next movie being about the Borg. I also loved how Guinnan had a major role, just as major as the "big 7" from the series. A shame she wasn't creditted. If she was, I'm guessing we would see "Whoopi Goldberg" between Marina Sirtis and Malcolm McDowel (spelling?). Oh, and the destruction of the Enterprise was fantastic! Seeing the battle section explode into a fireball, then the shockwave flinging the saucer toward's the planet. I tell ya, this movie has the best crash-landing sequence of a space ship in any movie! :rofl:

Star Trek: First Contact

Here, we have a movie dealing with the Borg and first contact between Humans and aliens, specifically the Vulcans. I think this has the most emotion of the four movies from Picard's personal struggle with the Borg to Worf threatening to kill Picard, all the way to Data considerring helping the Borg! This movie is full of various cameos too. We've got Worf on the Defiant, a Miranda-class ship which "may" be the Souqze-class Bozeman depicted with the wrong model, Reginald Barclay, Nurse Owagana (spelling?), the Enterprise EMH, and more. One thing I allways wonderred is why the Borg didn't assimilate a shuttle from shuttlebay two and fly down to Earth? My guess is that when Data locked out the main computer, he may have also locked out control to the shuttles. If I were an android, I would have done the same. I enjoyed the new look for the Borg and find the Queen down right scary! This movie was incredibly intense upon my first viewing, opening night. One thing I loved seeing is the Enterprise flying infront of the Defiant. We've all wanted to see the Enterprise and the Defiant in the same movie, welp, we did! It only lasted about two seconds and the Defiant was just a bit smaller than it should be, but I enjoyed the scene never the less. The look on Worf's face when the helmsman announces that the Enterprise has come in is priceless. :P OMG, I can't believe I forgot my favorite scene! Psycho-Picard and Lilly in the Observation Lounge! :P That's got to be my favorite scene out of the whole movie. Also, was this the first time we got to see escapod pods actually launch out of a ship? Man, was that a cool scene or what!

Star Trek: Insurrection

On to the 9th movie... This one is most deffinately my favorite of the bunch. I loved the humor and "fountain of youth" story. Sure it's been done before, but this movie puts such a unique twist on it. Also, what happened to the Son'a? If they're just really old Ba'Ku, why are there no young Son'a? Maybe the've gone sterile? :P There were lots of small ships in this movie from the Enterprise shuttlecraft to Son'a shuttles. We even finally get to see the Captain's Yacht! I loved it when Picard tells off Admiral Doughtery on forcibly relocating the Ba'Ku and enjoyed the almost-western feel of the conflict down on the planet. While not a major one, we did get to see the Enterprise in another space battle. "We're through running from these ********!" OMG, that was so funny! Riker and Geordi on the Enterprise fighting the Son'a is very well done. Worf kind'a came off as comic relief in this movie, but then again, it's more light hearted, kind'a like a TNG-version of The Voyage Home, it seems. Fortunately, Worf leaves us with a "warrior" feeling after he beats the crap out of 5 or 6 aliens on the Son'a command ship's bridge! :rofl: As Geordi says in Generations, "Go, Worf!"

I'll return later to post my thoughts on their 4th and possibly final movie - Star Trek: Nemesis.

No I didn't like how the movie ended... They could have saved data! Use the shuttle transporters!!!!

I'm not asking if people liked how NEMESIS ended, I'm asking what they think of the movies in relation to the TV series.

As for your post, it's possible that the shuttlebay doors were off-line and unable to be opened due to the Enterprise's low power from the ramming sequence. Data didn't have time to try and free a shuttlecraft, he had to get over there ASAP. Another possibility is that Data thought Shinzon may destroy any approaching shuttles. After all, the Enterprise didn't know that the Schimitar's weapons were down. B)

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I don't think I have the energy to write anything lengthy, but thinking about it, all the TNG movies did the show justice to some extent, imo. I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of Generations, Insurrection, or Nemesis, but I can definitely see each of them as a tremendous episode/arc if they'd been inside the series. I just don't think they were on par with other movies, but for Trek they were good (especially First Contact :wow: ). Does this make even the slightest shred of sense?

I have been giving this a lot of thought. IMHO all the TNG movies seemed to me just two hour TV shows. It lacked the big screen feeling. To me. All the TOS movies were bigger than life and belonged on the big screen but the TNG movies I have enjoyed more when I have watched it at home on my 19 inch TV. I don't know how else to explain it any better. They were good but I just keep waiting for the ad break.

I feel that the movies dealt well in transferring the series to the big screen without loosing the relationships that had been built up over the seven years the series ran, and in continuing those themes that were important in those episodes. Continuity was strong.

In Generations, I felt, that the themes of Family and comradeship that had existed throughout TOS and TNG were well developed and continuity was well maintained in the characters of Guinan, Duras sisters and even Spot the cat! New developments that wouldn't have worked for a weekly series, such as Data's emotion chip and the destruction of the Enterprise D gave viewers that something extra/special to watch.

First Contact built upon this change, giving Geordi new eyes, introducing a new ship and new uniforms, but keeping the same relationships and continuity: this time with the Borg, Worf and the Defiant, Barclay, and Zefram Cochrane. Bringing back old minor characters was always a plot device in past movies, eg Rand, Commander Kyle (on the Reliant), Chapel, etc. The characters still had a great on screen relationship and held their positions well. The film offered resolution, in a way, to the Best of Both Worlds trauma that Picard endured, and his lighter mood was reflected in subsequent films.

Insurrection again kept those great relationships intact, and offered us a stand alone 'episode' if you wish, that was similar in tone to a tv episode. No real major changes occurred here in the staus quo.

Nemesis gave us the Romulans, again well established characters. This time, the relationships on board change somewhat, with a marriage and a death. This time, I feel, the writers are aware that the TNG crew are coming to the end and it is time to burn down all those bridges in one last pitch: they might as well. Again, we see Guinan and other minor continuities. The core relationships remain the same, and the chemistry is still good. I feel that now, there is more 'fun' in the movies and a high degree of action.

All in all. the tone of the show is retained, the characters have the same values yet change in ways that couldn't have been successfully maintained during the run of the show. I feel that in any future film, that key formula between the characters needs to be maintained, yet something truely spectacular has to occur in a 'party to end all parties'!

Edited by prometheus

Guest Ktrek

I personally do not think that TNG has translated to the big screen as well as TOS has. Not to say that I didn't enjoy them but they didn't seem much better than a TV 2 part episode. Some of the scenes also looked "cheap" with all the duct work and scaffolding etc. They really should have put more effort into how the movies looked aesthetically. The SFX were good for the most part but the matte paintings looked like....well, matte paintings. Trek could take some lessons from some of the other genre films out there and learn more about how to dress up a scene to make it believable. I realise that much of what they film has to be done in the studio but when you see films like "The Rock" for instance and how detailed every scene was it makes hokey looking scenes in TNG movies just that much more disappointing. It gives you the feeling that the studio didn't want to spend one dollar more than necessary to make the films. Then they wonder why Nemesis was a box office failure. Perhaps they should look at movies like "Lord Of The Rings", "The Matrix", etc. to get some fresh ideas. Even "Spy Kids 2" looked more real at times than the last couple of TNG movies.

At the same time I'm not really disappointed with the character developments overall in the movies. When compared to the TOS movies they disappoint because the TOS movies made the TV screen characters "bigger" than life and placed them into true epic situations. The imagination of the TNG movies is flat and dull albeit still a cut above many other things out there.

Ktrek

No they didn't.

In 1994, TNG ended with one of trek's best episodes in All Good Things. Than we get the movies and while they were OK, it just didn't seem like it had the spirit of the series, except for Generations. The movies put the characters in more action roles, and it just seemed like Picard and Data both acted out of character. Singing in a Runabout, Sex Jokes? This isn't the TNG I know.

Also, the why they ended Nemesis pissed me off. It's one thing that they killed off Data, but he didn't get the Euligy that he deserved. He was almost Spock of TNG, and they almost ignored the fact that he was killed. Spock got a great Eouligy, why not Data.

Also, Insurrection and Nemesis completely ignored Worf's development from DS9. Worf is no longer Picard's lacky. He was the federation ambassador to Kronos for crying out loud. Picard should be taking orders from him, and Worf should have been more useful than he was.

The TNG movies were OK, but it seemed like all that character development from the series was thrown out the window. Did they do TNG justice, looking back the movies almost destroyed TNG's credibility.

No they didn't.

In 1994, TNG ended with one of trek's best episodes in All Good Things.  Than we get the movies and while they were OK, it just didn't seem like it had the spirit of the series, except for Generations.  The movies put the characters in more action roles, and it just seemed like Picard and Data both acted out of character.  Singing in a Runabout, Sex Jokes?  This isn't the TNG I know.

I thought they had the spirit of the series, but it depends on why you watched TNG I guess. Sure, the movies are more action-based, but so were the TOS movies. I thought Picard & Data were very in character. The movies are years apart, so keep in mind that they'll be changing a lot between movies. Singing in a Runabout? I think you mean the Scoutship that Data flew in INSURRECTION. This was in character for Data becuase he often tries to express himself through art. Music is a form of art. As for the sex jokes, there was only one over the coarse of all four movies. It worked becuase Data was imitating Crusher and Troi to have a conversation with Worf, just as he had done dozens of times with people durring the run of the series. What made it hillarrious was that he imitated something... well, something that made Worf uncomfortable. :lol:

Also, the why they ended Nemesis pissed me off.  It's one thing that they killed off Data, but he didn't get the Euligy that he deserved.  He was almost Spock of TNG, and they almost ignored the fact that he was killed. Spock got a great Eouligy, why not Data.

Why should Data get a Euligy just like Spock? Just becuase we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen and it just wouldn't fit with the "feel" of the movie in my opinion.

Also, Insurrection and Nemesis completely ignored Worf's development from DS9.  Worf is no longer Picard's lacky.  He was the federation ambassador to Kronos for crying out loud.  Picard should be taking orders from him, and Worf should have been more useful than he was.

Um... No, they did not. In INSURRECTION, Picard decided not to drop Worf off at DS9, since the movie takes place durring DS9's 7th season. As for NEMESIS, the movie is 4 years after DS9's finale, so logic would dictate that Worf did not like politics and returned to Starfleet. Also, just becuase Worf was an Ambassador, doesn't mean he gets to tell Starfleet what to do. :)

The TNG movies were OK, but it seemed like all that character development from the series was thrown out the window.  Did they do TNG justice, looking back the movies almost destroyed TNG's credibility.

Actually, I believe the TNG movies further developed the characters.

the movies were pretty good. Data did get something of a memorial service, more so the kind that I would prefere to have. people standing around, just swapping funny storries.

Posted by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I thought they had the spirit of the series, but it depends on why you watched TNG I guess. Sure, the movies are more action-based, but so were the TOS movies. I thought Picard & Data were very in character. The movies are years apart, so keep in mind that they'll be changing a lot between movies. Singing in a Runabout? I think you mean the Scoutship that Data flew in INSURRECTION. This was in character for Data becuase he often tries to express himself through art. Music is a form of art. As for the sex jokes, there was only one over the coarse of all four movies. It worked becuase Data was imitating Crusher and Troi to have a conversation with Worf, just as he had done dozens of times with people durring the run of the series. What made it hillarrious was that he imitated something... well, something that made Worf uncomfortable.  :lol:

True the Star Trek movies were more action, but they still kept the spirit of the series. Ironically, the movie that gets bashed the most (Star Trek V) is more in spirit to Star Trek the series in terms of human condition, and exploring the friendship between Kirk, McCoy, and Spock. Unlike TNG, which I said that the characters seemed out of character from what they were like in the series, the Star Trek movies seemed like the characters were more in character. They might have boosted up the action, but the spirit of the crew was still there.

Why should Data get a Euligy just like Spock? Just becuase we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen and it just wouldn't fit with the "feel" of the movie in my opinion.

Because Data was the Spock of TNG. I'm not saying it needed to be just like Spock's, but they shouldn't have rubbed it off as easily as they did and ignore it. They could have done more justice to what kind of character Data was, and what he did to reach his Goal. What we saw in Nemesis just seemed to deminish Data to what he was in the first season. They pretty much ignored the series development, and I was quite annoyed by that.

Um... No, they did not. In INSURRECTION, Picard decided not to drop Worf off at DS9, since the movie takes place durring DS9's 7th season. As for NEMESIS, the movie is 4 years after DS9's finale, so logic would dictate that Worf did not like politics and returned to Starfleet. Also, just becuase Worf was an Ambassador, doesn't mean he gets to tell Starfleet what to do.  :hand:

How do you know that the timeframe IN the movie was 4 years later. Also, Worf may not get to tell starfleet what to do, but because he is an ambassador he should get more respect than by being picard's lacky.

Posted by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I thought they had the spirit of the series, but it depends on why you watched TNG I guess. Sure, the movies are more action-based, but so were the TOS movies. I thought Picard & Data were very in character. The movies are years apart, so keep in mind that they'll be changing a lot between movies. Singing in a Runabout? I think you mean the Scoutship that Data flew in INSURRECTION. This was in character for Data becuase he often tries to express himself through art. Music is a form of art. As for the sex jokes, there was only one over the coarse of all four movies. It worked becuase Data was imitating Crusher and Troi to have a conversation with Worf, just as he had done dozens of times with people durring the run of the series. What made it hillarrious was that he imitated something... well, something that made Worf uncomfortable.  :lol:

True the Star Trek movies were more action, but they still kept the spirit of the series. Ironically, the movie that gets bashed the most (Star Trek V) is more in spirit to Star Trek the series in terms of human condition, and exploring the friendship between Kirk, McCoy, and Spock. Unlike TNG, which I said that the characters seemed out of character from what they were like in the series, the Star Trek movies seemed like the characters were more in character. They might have boosted up the action, but the spirit of the crew was still there.

I dunno, I think the TNG characters were in character just as the TOS characters were in character and developed further for their movies. Perhaps you could use one of the characters as an example? I'd like to read what you're thinking.

Because Data was the Spock of TNG. I'm not saying it needed to be just like Spock's, but they shouldn't have rubbed it off as easily as they did and ignore it. They could have done more justice to what kind of character Data was, and what he did to reach his Goal. What we saw in Nemesis just seemed to deminish Data to what he was in the first season. They pretty much ignored the series development, and I was quite annoyed by that.

I don't think the wake diminished Data at all. There was no body left so they could not have a funeral. I thought the wake was much more personal, and that it was right after the battle shows that they cared enough to have it immediately. Picard even opened an extremely old bottle of wine for his lost friend, possibly the same vintage as the one he shares with Data in a deleted scene. I feel it was handled greatly. The only thing missing was Geordi saying something for Data, but his tears say a lot.

Um... No, they did not. In INSURRECTION, Picard decided not to drop Worf off at DS9, since the movie takes place durring DS9's 7th season. As for NEMESIS, the movie is 4 years after DS9's finale, so logic would dictate that Worf did not like politics and returned to Starfleet. Also, just becuase Worf was an Ambassador, doesn't mean he gets to tell Starfleet what to do.  :lol:

How do you know that the timeframe IN the movie was 4 years later. Also, Worf may not get to tell starfleet what to do, but because he is an ambassador he should get more respect than by being picard's lacky.

Since TNG's premiere, time has progressed in real time in terms of years.

Example:

2364 - TNG Season 1

2365 - TNG Season 2

2366 - TNG Season 3

2367 - TNG Season 4

2368 - TNG Season 5

2369 - TNG Season 6 / DS9 Season 1

2370 - TNG Season 7 / DS9 Season 2

2371 - DS9 Season 3 / VOY Season 1 / Generations (set before VOY's premiere)

2372 - DS9 Season 4 / VOY Season 2

2373 - DS9 Season 5 / VOY Season 3 / First Contact

2374 - DS9 Season 6 / VOY Season 4

2375 - DS9 Season 7 / VOY Season 5 / Insurrection

2376 - VOY Season 6

2377 - VOY Season 7

2378 - (no Trek seen)

2379 - Nemesis

Insurrection is released durring DS9's 7th season. Picard even mentions dropping Worf off at DS9 and the Dominion War. We know that NEMESIS is at least 2 years after DS9's finale becuase Janeway makes a cameo as an Admiral. However, roughly 4 years passes between DS9's finale and NEMESIS, so it's logical to conclude that the movie is set 4 years later.

I never believed Worf was treated as "Picard's lacky" and was treated with respect by the crew in the movies.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I thought they needed more. I like First Contact but the rest were mediocre at best and insurrection was horrible

I dunno, I think the TNG characters were in character just as the TOS characters were in character and developed further for their movies.  Perhaps you could use one of the characters as an example?  I'd like to read what you're thinking.

Maybe I just liked the Data who didn't have the emotions from the series, other than the Data who tried so hard to be funny. I just always saw his attitudes such as "Saddle Up, Lock and Load," and the singing in the ship to be out of character for him. Of course to each thier own.

Data DID get an emotion chip in Generations, and in First Contact, evidence was that he still had it. "Saddle Up, Lock and Load" isn't something data would say without the emotion chip, but with it, one could surmise that he was attempting to inspire the rest of the crew.

I thought the films did well and good by TNG. I agree with some that the TOS films were far better and more action packed (My all time favorite Trek film is "Wrath of Kahn) but TNG did a pretty good job of transferring to the big screen.

I think the movies helped Data develop nicely!:thumbs: They gave him a wider berth to explore, with newer situations, settings, and challenges to deal with.

I think the first 3 did pretty good in following TNG, but nemesis... First off the transfer from the wedding scene to the crew going to romulus was too rushed i felt (and why are romulus and remus in the orbit of the same star all of a sudden, anyone got an idea?). And they didn't give data a "plot hole" they could use at some later point, for say, a book or fan made movie; just because brent spiner isn't going to play data anymore (supposedly), that's no reason to just have him die in the movie (and i find the idea that data transfered his "chakra" to B4 a pathetic one). But the one thing they DID do right was finally get riker and troi hitched so i guess it wasn't a complete loss. :P

I think the first 3 did pretty good in following TNG, but nemesis... First off the transfer from the wedding scene to the crew going to romulus was too rushed i felt (and why are romulus and remus in the orbit of the same star all of a sudden, anyone got an idea?). And they didn't give data a "plot hole" they could use at some later point, for say, a book or fan made movie; just because brent spiner isn't going to play data anymore (supposedly), that's no reason to just have him die in the movie (and i find the idea that data transfered his "chakra" to B4 a pathetic one). But the one thing they DID do right was finally get riker and troi hitched so i guess it wasn't a complete loss. :P

I have to say that I enjoyed Nemesis although not the best ever installment of the franchise, and it is on this point that I agree with many of the things that scaleman brings up. The points about the film appearing rushed at times was noticable for me, as well as the fact that the death of Data did appear to be something strapped on to the end, but all in all I still enjoyed it because it was The Next Generation crew.

As for the links to Spock's chakra and Data emerging in B4, this an area were I believe it is perfect for exploration in another film because everyone is expecting a similar resolution as we saw in ST3, but they could really do something different and make you think that we are getting Data back and then snatch him away again while commenting on the issue of playing God, that is relevant today with genetic manipulation and the development of medical knowledge.

I think the first 3 did pretty good in following TNG, but nemesis... First off the transfer from the wedding scene to the crew going to romulus was too rushed i felt (and why are romulus and remus in the orbit of the same star all of a sudden, anyone got an idea?).

I didn't think it was very rushed, moving from the wedding to Romulas. Remember, we had the whole Kolaris thing in between. B)

And they didn't give data a "plot hole" they could use at some later point, for say, a book or fan made movie; just because brent spiner isn't going to play data anymore (supposedly), that's no reason to just have him die in the movie (and i find the idea that data transfered his "chakra" to B4 a pathetic one).

In the DVD bonus features, it wasn't even Spinder's idea for Data to die, not initially anyway. Logan and Spinder decided that with the way the movie was building up, either Picard or Data should be killed off in a brilliant sacrifice for the Enterprise and her crew. Ultimately, they went with Data as a final and ultimate act of Human expression - self sacrifice so that others may live. As for Data's "chakra", Data uploaded his memories to B4, nothing more and nothing less. Data died in the Schimitar explossion, he's gone.

But the one thing they DID do right was finally get riker and troi hitched so i guess it wasn't a complete loss. :naughty:

Yes, OMG, I loved the whole wedding scene! :P

I thought they were all awesome. They never stepped too far from the prime objective.

I was disappointed with Nemesis, it felt too much like Star Wars to me. I like Star Wars, but I don't want the 2 merged into one.

The other TNG movies were very good and could easily have been fit into the series as 2 part episodes.

Oh, and the destruction of the Enterprise was fantastic!  Seeing the battle section explode into a fireball, then the shockwave flinging the saucer toward's the planet.

Star Trek: First Contact

Miranda-class ship which "may" be the Souqze-class Bozeman depicted with the wrong model

Don't forget what Data says when he sees them heading toward the planet!!

as for the miranda class, I'm suprised it survived from the Typhon sector to the Terran system.

As for the whole post, yes, I think TNg movies are great!

The TNG movies are o.k., First Contact being the best IMO. I wish that Q had been in the nexxus in Generations rather than Guinan and I didn't quite understand why Picard's fantasy family were all dressed up in Dickensian garb ... that was kind of lame. Kirk's "death" was fairly anticlimactic, also. Two things should have happened in that movie ... Picard's fantasy family should have included Beverly as his wife and the woman that Kirk says is up in the bedroom should have been Carol Marcus. Those two things would have been nice touches and would have brought a nice sense of "ah" to fans of TWOK and TNG's "All Good Things."

First Contact ... I have no complaints about this movie at all. It was great and I think it is probably in the No. 2 spot for me out of all the Trek movies. TWOK being No. 1.

Insurrection ... Too hokey for me. I hated the entire premise. Why does every alien race you run into in Trek tool around in pioneer garb and live off the land? And don't even get me going on that Anige woman ... ick.

Nemesis ... I hate the way TPTB in the Star Trek Universe snub all of us DS9ers all the time. It's like they want to pretend that DS9 never happened. I agree that Worf's relegation to being the "drunk guy at the wedding" and somehow back at playing fourth banana under Picard, Riker, and Data after being the flipping Federation Ambassador to the Klingon Empire was really a slap in the face to those of us who watched DS9 religiously. A sentence or two of explanation would have sufficed, perhaps a sadder but wiser Worf comment about marriage considering the loss of Jadzia ... oh, well.

But to answer the original question: On the whole, I do not think that the TNG movies do justice to TNG the series. We are in the process or rewatching the entire run of the show on DVD and there's just no comparison. I believe that we are fast approaching a point where television is going to surpass big screen movies in quality, content and will be on par as far as SFX. With a big screen HDTV and surround sound, the flexibility of television to present the 4, 6 or 8 hour mini-series ... who will ever need to go to the theater again?

I hope we never see a DS9 movie on the big screen ... they'll just ruin it. I'd rather see a lengthy DS9 mini-series on cable television.