Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

How Would You Rate "Harbinger"?

What rating would you give "Harbinger" out of 10?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Harbinger" out of 10?

I loved it! ...except of course for that one part. :o

I thought it was an incredibly entertaining ep with great acting, great dialogue, and a twist every now and then. I really liked how they brought ....

I should start using the spoiler now I guess... :o

Click for Spoiler:

...how they brought that MACO gal into the story. I liked her interaction with Trip, and you could easily see the relationship for what it was. I also thought she was a pretty good actress. Of course, I think the same thing about Major Hayes (right?), but I've liked all his characters since Agent Webb on JAG.

At first I thought Reed was being a big baby,,, and he was,,, but I felt better about it during his scene w/ Trip. He finally acted like he KNEW he was acting like a baby. I also liked how they worked on (I almost said "fleshed-out", but that fits a little TOO well -haha ) the Trip/T'Pol relationship. T'Pol's facial expressions were great.

Now,,, my beef.

Why, why, why!?! :o T'Pol and Trip were having a great, entertaining discussion,,, and T'Pol just up and strips! :o Where the heck did that come from! Even more surprising to me is that Trip went like a man-ho and went along with it. I know it happens, but I don't see it as part of his character interaction with T'Pol. It would've worked just as well if Trip would've went along with it for a minute or two before saying, "wait, this is too weird." I know people have sex, but this just wasn't set up very well, and her reasoning afterwords was the biggest load of hooey I've heard on Trek in a long time! I didn't know whether I was supposed to call her bluff, or think the writers actually thought that explanation satisfied anyone. That's just my opinion. I'd rather they didn't have these types of scenes period, but if they're gonna do it, I wish they would set it up better and not just do it for shock value. :(

My rating: 9. It would've gotten a 9.5 if only one scene had been altered a bit.

Edited by Ace

I voted "0" for this one, in my view it was simply ****.

Uh oh.

(rant) Don't Ent bashers have enough forums to go to? This place is fun because we can discuss Enterprise without having to constantly defend a show we like against bigoted anti Ent vitriol. Some people hate Enterprise on principle and will '0 out of ten' 'From A to F - I give F minus' every show. They will give nothing an even break in the programme. Ever. As such, their opinions on the actual show hold no water for me. It's like asking a rabid member of the KKK to give a balanced opinion of a Morgan Freeman movie. It's written down in hate before it's asked for, let alone seen.(/rant)

I gave the show a 7.5. I disliked Trip being turned into T'Pol's 'experiment' and thought it demeaned the character for the nth time. :rofl: Trinneer and Blalock did their best and it was very well acted, but just existed to diss Trip. Again.

I liked the inter-dimensional alien, but Archer was pissy all the way through again. The briefly lived great captain in Proving Ground, who laughed and smiled and was in inspiration to his crew has gone again.

I'd like to see more of Travis in hand to hand! Boy, that man can move! The show was fun, in parts, but not earth-shattering.

Here is my review over at TBBS. :rofl:

Interesting review. However, I found it to be highly over-analytical.

Some of your points are relevant, but common...its TV. If you don't enjoy it...read a book or something.

Good episode over all. Didn't contribute much to the arc -- but that wasn't it's job.

Crew interaction episodes are always great, especially that of Malcolm and Trip.

I look forward to "Doctor's Orders."

Uh oh.

(rant) Don't Ent bashers have enough forums to go to? This place is fun because we can discuss Enterprise without having to constantly defend a show we like against bigoted anti Ent vitriol. Some people hate Enterprise on principle and will '0 out of ten' 'From A to F - I give F minus' every show. They will give nothing an even break in the programme. Ever. As such, their opinions on the actual show hold no water for me. It's like asking a rabid member of the KKK to give a balanced opinion of a Morgan Freeman movie. It's written down in hate before it's asked for, let alone seen.(/rant)

I gave the show a 7.5. I disliked Trip being turned into T'Pol's 'experiment' and thought it demeaned the character for the nth time. :rofl: Trinneer and Blalock did their best and it was very well acted, but just existed to diss Trip. Again.

I liked the inter-dimensional alien, but Archer was pissy all the way through again. The briefly lived great captain in Proving Ground, who laughed and smiled and was in inspiration to his crew has gone again.

I'd like to see more of Travis in hand to hand! Boy, that man can move! The show was fun, in parts, but not earth-shattering.

[retort]I don't hide my bias like you probably do, I bet you would give an automatic 10 grade to any enterprise episode that comes along. [/retort]

Interesting review. However, I found it to be highly over-analytical.

Some of your points are relevant, but common...its TV. If you don't enjoy it...read a book or something.

Good episode over all. Didn't contribute much to the arc -- but that wasn't it's job.

Crew interaction episodes are always great, especially that of Malcolm and Trip.

I look forward to "Doctor's Orders."

You can't discuss a show without seeing it.

(rant) Don't Ent bashers have enough forums to go to? This place is fun because we can discuss Enterprise without having to constantly defend a show we like against bigoted anti Ent vitriol.

Actually this forum is for people of all opinions, whether you like Enterprise or not.

I voted 6. Did anyone else think that the alien looked a little like a Suliban?

Click for Spoiler:

The only thing that happened of interest was Trip and T'Pol finally having sex. And it was pretty cool when Reed and the MACO got into a fight. I would have loved to seen more about the new alien, but they didn't seem to talk much. I'm guessing we will see more of them in later episodes.

It just goes to show you that some people would not know a good episode if it came up and bit him on the *buttocks*. Another Enterprise Basher just trying to get more support and failing miserably at it.

I am not an Enterprise basher, and I did not care for the episode at all. I was late getting home so I missed the first fifteen minutes.

I will watch it again this weekend hopefully, and then I will rate it, but right now for me it is running about a 1. Perhaps the segments I missed prevented me from pulling together the elements of what I did see to make a coherent picture. It seemed to me a lot of activity without meaning.

I've actually had second thoughts since watching the show - oh I still think it was good and I liked the part that so much happened - that so many characters had a separate plot going on...I think that must have been some kind of record.

However, the more I think about the Trip/T'Pol thing the more I dislike what it did with the characters.

Click for Spoiler:

Come on guys - is any woman that good that you don't mind being a lab rat. (oh, never mind) I think Trip was trying to be honest, not admiting he was attracted to her until she let go first. But was she being honest or was she just trying to seduce him? I really don't get the sense she has any genuine feeling for him other than condescension. She basically doesn't "like" him so how could she "love" him? Rather than a sharp officer and engineer Trip is just a boytoy this season. Now I can not blame the girl for wanting him. But where is the logic in lying to him or writing him off the next morning...whatever in the heck she was up to? If she was half as smart as everyone thinks she is - she would know about male egos and try not stomp on his....

:rofl:

Hey I agree what happened to Trip was rude but come-on, aren't we all supposed to be jumping for joy that the worst part of the Trip/T'pol arc is (almost) behind us now?

Looks to me like B&B have abandoned the T'Pol experiment so except for mop-up, that arc is finished and now T'pol can get back to being a normal Vulcan right?

I'm trying to see it as a positive milestone on the road to bringing back the fan base. *crosses fingers and toes*

AE, after reading CJLP's post about possible cancellation - I guess I'd be willing to watch Trip and T'Pol become an item...not that I would like it. But the thought of no more ENT is sending me into depression.

:P Something is not adding around here, 2+2 just started equaling 3.

Didn't the biggest portion of the fan base skip out on ENT (mainly) because of the T"Pol/Archer - Trip/T'Pol mating game?

I don't understand how now continuing down that road would bring fans back and push the ratings up. :rofl:

No more Ent... I don't believe it!!!! As for T'Pol's experiment. Vulcan's don't lie so she surely was experimenting, but perhaps there are things she OMITTED. It is possible that T'Pol would only experiment with someone if she cared for them deeply and perhaps she would normally let the experiment continue. (a normal long lasting relationship starts off as an experiment because it is new to the individuals experiencing it) Maybe the only reason that T'Pol did not continue it was because she did feel it was inappropriate. She did say the Trip/Cole thingy was inappropriate afterall. Heck, for all we know, T'Pol was actually entering Pon Farr without our knowledge and she was driven into the act even though she was not normally engage in such activities otherwise. As for the idea that it isn't believable for T'Pol to do such an experiment... she has a HISTORY of experimenting with humans and things that most vulcan's do not. I'm not going into specifics cause if you've watched every episode you should be able to recall some of her past. Anywho, I'm just putting possibilities out there to make a point: be more open minded about the reasons for a characters actions! And, hey, it's just a show!!!!! A good one at that!

I gave the show a 7.5.

[retort]I don't hide my bias like you probably do, I bet you would give an automatic 10 grade to any enterprise episode that comes along. [/retort]

Yeah :rofl: God, why read what Ent lover's say before commenting?

Actually this forum is for people of all opinions, whether you like Enterprise or not.

So says Trek Today's BBS, TransporterMalfunction, in theory, in fact it's an Ent basher's paradise along with Trekweb and other places where these bigots can call Ent supporters foul names, insult us at will and generally behave like bullies without any comeback because the moderators are too friendly with the bashers or too complacent to care. Go to either of these sites and say what you think is good about Ent and see how long you go uninsulted.

I came to Startrekfans because I wanted a place fans, yes fans of Enterprise could talk about the pros and cons of the show objectively, without the rubbish the bigots spew. :P

So says Trek Today's BBS, TransporterMalfunction, in theory, in fact it's an Ent basher's paradise along with Trekweb and other places where these bigots can call Ent supporters foul names, insult us at will and generally behave like bullies without any comeback because the moderators are too friendly with the bashers or too complacent to care.  Go to either of these sites and say what you think is good about Ent and see how long you go uninsulted.

I came to Startrekfans because I wanted a place fans, yes fans of Enterprise could talk about the pros and cons of the show objectively, without the rubbish the bigots spew.  :rofl:

I consider one of the most important aspects of this site to be that all members can respect the opinions of others, even when they disagree.

You mention the calling of "enterprise supporter's foul names" and bullying, these would be against STARTREKFANS.NET rules and any instances would be deleted and the member warned. You can be assured that this will always be the case on this site, but in this case the member has only stated him opinion of the episode and not attacked the views of anyone else on this thread.

Go to either of these sites and say what you think is good about Ent and see how long you go uninsulted.

Oddly enough you seem to have done what it is that you hate about other sites by attacking someone with a different view. If you disagree with Stewey's opinion then that is your right (I too disagree with several of the conclusions that he came to), however it is not acceptable to compare someone with a different opinion to yours as a 'rabid member of the KKK asked to give a balanced opinion of a Morgan Freeman movie' and imply that they are not welcome here, which is not for you to decide.

As for T'Pol's experiment. Vulcan's don't lie

I have to disagree it seems they lie when they need to. they lied about the listening post and their reasons for following Enterprise around, etc

Actually, I've read a couple of spoilers that indicate there is a reason for T'Pol's actions.

For this ep - I thought she treated him shabbily - but then again there's always the possibility

Click for Spoiler:

his last comment about continuing accupressure was part of his plan to get some more of that shabby treatment Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Here is my review over at TBBS. B)

Stewey, first let me ask you to please post any future reviews on this site rather than linking to another. It doesn't take much time to cut and paste and is so much easier for us. Thanks.

Anyway, I've read through your entire post and you certainly didn't seem to like much about this episode. Personally I enjoyed this episode, initially I was unsure about the prolonged story arc regarding T'Pol's attraction as it is not something we would expect to see from Vulcans, however I have come to think of this as an interesting weakness in T'Pol as she is the first Vulcan to have prolonged contact with humans by herself and is clearly having some difficulty.

(rant) Don't Ent bashers have enough forums to go to? This place is fun because we can discuss Enterprise without having to constantly defend a show we like against bigoted anti Ent vitriol.

Thankyou TM, glad to know that there is hope yet for the freedom of expression and speech somewhere. B)

It just goes to show you that some people would not know a good episode if it came up and bit him on the *buttocks*. Another Enterprise Basher just trying to get more support and failing miserably at it.

Actually, "Far beyond the stars" came along and put me in hosital for days, "City on the edge of forever" prompted an immediate buttock replacement, and "in the pale blue moonlight" quite literally stopped me from sitting down for a week.

In comparison, Harbinger was the little yorkshire terrier biting at my heels and running away at the sign of of the big bad rothwiler that had me in pain for so much of my life.

:)

I voted 6.  Did anyone else think that the alien looked a little like a Suliban?

Click for Spoiler:

The only thing that happened of interest was Trip and T'Pol finally having sex. And it was pretty cool when Reed and the MACO got into a fight. I would have loved to seen more about  the new alien, but they didn't seem to  talk much. I'm guessing  we will see more of them in later episodes.

To me it was a cross between a Suliban and the "Tosk" alien from DS9. It had the same nose piece as Tosk if you look closely.

posted by Trinneergirl:

So says Trek Today's BBS, TransporterMalfunction, in theory, in fact it's an Ent basher's paradise along with Trekweb and other places where these bigots can call Ent supporters foul names, insult us at will and generally behave like bullies without any comeback because the moderators are too friendly with the bashers or too complacent to care.  Go to either of these sites and say what you think is good about Ent and see how long you go uninsulted.

One of the biggest misconceptions you gushers make on a regular basis is accuse us of is insulting you. believe me, that is far from the truth. Since when is it a crime to dislike a TV show? In actuality you are the one calling us bigots, which is totally innacurate and irrational in the extreme. The only thing being criticised here is the show itself, and if you feel personally insulted by the criticism of a TV show then i'm sorry but that's your problem to deal with.

I came to Startrekfans because I wanted a place fans, yes fans of Enterprise could talk about the pros and cons of the show objectively, without the rubbish the bigots spew.  B)

You are mistaken. This site is not ONLY for Enterprise fans, this site is open to all Trek fans, Trek fans who like any or all parts ofthis huge franchise. I happen to like all 4 series and 10 movies, but detest this series. That does not make me a bigot, it makes me a Star Trek fan who simply dislikes the rubbish made in Trek's name today.

Maybe you should look up the word "Bigot" because it is not being used in it's correct context right now.

Edited by Stewey

Stewey, first let me ask you to please post any future reviews on this site rather than linking to another. It doesn't take much time to cut and paste and is so much easier for us. Thanks.

Anyway, I've read through your entire post and you certainly didn't seem to like much about this episode. Personally I enjoyed this episode, initially I was unsure about the prolonged story arc regarding T'Pol's attraction as it is not something we would expect to see from Vulcans, however I have come to think of this as an interesting weakness in T'Pol as she is the first Vulcan to have prolonged contact with humans by herself and is clearly having some difficulty.

The problem has been addressed in the PM I have sent you since. I was offline when you posted the message I am responding to right now. :)

I have to disagree with your assessment of T'pol however. I feel that TOS established Spock as the first Vulcan officer to serve with a human crew, and that is contradicted with T'pol. Maybe if T'pol was half-human, I could buy the experimentation with Humanity. But as a full Vulcan, to me it's totally unrealistic, and the lack of Trellium D for inducing this behavour is also more of an excuse to me than anything else.

I feel that TOS established Spock as the first Vulcan officer to serve with a human crew, and that is contradicted with T'pol.

I believe what was established was that Spock was the first Vulcan to join Starfleet, not that he was the first to serve with humans. I could be wrong on this though and would be interested in reviewing the episode that you believe this came from.

I feel that TOS established Spock as the first Vulcan officer to serve with a human crew, and that is contradicted with T'pol.

I believe what was established was that Spock was the first Vulcan to join Starfleet, not that he was the first to serve with humans. I could be wrong on this though and would be interested in reviewing the episode that you believe this came from.

Maybe I got confused between Starfleet and serving with humans. But anyhow, Spock was portrayed as the mysterious Vulcan, a species of which nothing much was known, the crew on TOS had never heard of Ponn farr, yet not that it to be contradicted by the knowledge of T'pol having it 100 years previous. Rememeber that of all the ship logs studied by Starfleet officers, NX-01's (if it did indeed exist - but that's another argument) would be the most scrutinised given that it's the FIRST ship out there for Humanity.

Maybe I got confused between Starfleet and serving with humans. But anyhow, Spock was portrayed as the mysterious Vulcan, a species of which nothing much was known, the crew on TOS had never heard of Ponn farr, yet not that it to be contradicted by the knowledge of T'pol having it 100 years previous. Rememeber that of all the ship logs studied by Starfleet officers, NX-01's (if it did indeed exist - but that's another argument) would be the most scrutinised given that it's the FIRST ship out there for Humanity.

You have to rememberm Ponn Farr is a deeply personal thing that is not spoken of unless it absolutely has to be. It's not likely that records of it would be kept out of respect for the Vulcans. Even Tuvok was reluctant to speak with another vulcan male of his Ponn Farr because it's so deeply personal.

You also have to remember, the Star Trek "history" is not something set in stone. It can be added to, especially the history after Voyager and the history before TOS. You have to take it for what it is, a Television show. Not a history lesson. The creators have to have some ability to move between the lines and at times go outside of the lines just a bit. Otherwise we may not have new Star Trek shows or movies in the future.

Folks, just give Stewey some breathing room to vent. He's entitled to his opinion. In three seasons on the TrekBBS he has yet to rate a single episode above D+. Not a single one. He's not likely to change his opinion. Respect it, let him speak his peace and move on.

Sign in to follow this