Sign in to follow this  
shadowfigment

Reality TV = "Real Lie" TV

What Do You Think Of Reality Televison?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think Of Reality Televison?

• I Love It
    • I Hate It
    • I Dont Care (I Only Watch Enterprise)
    • I Dont Watch Television At All

Most reality shows are extensions of the old "Candid Camera" (anyone remember that?). Take an interesting scenario and throw real people into it to see how they react.

IMO, most of the scenarios they use are not that interesting.

While I liked the original "Joe Millionaire", the rest of the reality shows do not have scenarios which hook me.

"Survivor"? Strikes me as a really strange game show.

"The Real Life"? Sounded interesting at first. Hilton & Ritchie were both just too despicable for me to appreciate the show.

"Real World"? A reality soap opera. I already have a life. I don't need to watch other people's lives.

"Bachelor" & "Bachelorette"? "The Dating Game" in a real life scenario. Yuck!

VBG, I'll watch those 11 episodes if you download and watch the first season of either Roswell or Stargate SG-1.  Whichever you've seen less of, including later seasons.

I'm curious as to your thoughts about last week's Episode. It didn't go the way any other episode ever has. The end was pretty sad too. You have to feel for her, but at the same time you have to wonder why she would go do the show in the first place under those circumstances.

I liked the first episode of SG-1 but I thought they tried too hard to play off the movie. It was a good story with it's original points though. And I like the way they had Teal'c become a "Good Guy".

Reality shows are dumb. Who cares if a person eats some deer nuts than chugs down a shake of blended bugs.

And survior is dumb. Its been redone so many times with the same plot everytime. Surive to get money and do some dumb imunity challange that is either runing through the woods to get a key or put some puzzle together. than they go and vote each other out untill one person is left well I think its dumb

Reality shows are dumb. Who cares if a person eats some deer nuts than chugs down a shake of blended bugs.

And survior is dumb. Its been redone so many times with the same plot everytime. Surive to get money and do some dumb imunity challange that is either runing through the woods to get a key or put some puzzle together. than they go and vote each other out untill one person is left well I think its dumb

How many episodes have you seen?

VBG, I'll watch those 11 episodes if you download and watch the first season of either Roswell or Stargate SG-1.  Whichever you've seen less of, including later seasons.

I'm curious as to your thoughts about last week's Episode. It didn't go the way any other episode ever has. The end was pretty sad too. You have to feel for her, but at the same time you have to wonder why she would go do the show in the first place under those circumstances.

I liked the first episode of SG-1 but I thought they tried too hard to play off the movie. It was a good story with it's original points though. And I like the way they had Teal'c become a "Good Guy".

Yooo Hooo CJLP... You out there? We got another episode coming on tonight.

How many episodes have you seen?

It sounds like not many, Survivor has so much more than that. Looking forward to tonight!!!

I've been searching for it, but can't find it. I know it's on CBS, but what day and time? I checked the official site, but it didn't list a day/time. ;)

I never watch CBS, so that's why I'm having such trouble finding the show. If nothing else, I'll just download it. Is it at Suprnova.org?

I've been searching for it, but can't find it.  I know it's on CBS, but what day and time?  I checked the official site, but it didn't list a day/time. ;)

I never watch CBS, so that's why I'm having such trouble finding the show.  If nothing else, I'll just download it.  Is it at Suprnova.org?

You went to CBS's website and didn't see this?

cbsdotcom.jpg

It's been there since at least January.

Yes you can download the episodes at Suprnova.com

Only 4 episodes?  I thought I missed like 10.  Cool, I'll download them tomorrow or Monday, depending on what tomorrow has in store. ;)
If you would rather do this challange when you can see a full season (you've already missed the first 2 episodes) we can do this next season but that's about 6 months away. Or if you would rather you can download Season 7 of Survivor from Suprnova. They have the full season up there, they also have the 2 episodes from this season you have missed.

It would be best to see them all, but with Suprnova you can get them. You may miss episode 3 but that's not a big deal to miss an episode.

I pretty well never watch TV with reality TV and variety shows being two of the main reasons why, with the exception of Ent. and the news, the latter of which I don't really consider TV since I could get the same effect by checking the Net or reading the newspaper. There are so many more interesting and/or practical things I can do with own time.

I'm working on a theory that as the amount of TV someone watches increases, their IQ decreases proportionately.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

I pretty well never watch TV with reality TV and variety shows being two of the main reasons why, with the exception of Ent. and the news, the latter of which I don't really consider TV since I could get the same effect by checking the Net or reading the newspaper.  There are so many more interesting and/or practical things I can do with own time.

I'm working on a theory that as the amount of TV someone watches increases, their IQ decreases proportionately.

I resemble that statement! ;)

Except when watching Star Trek. it's said that Star Trek has about 1/10th the regular audience of the Jerry Springer show, but it takes 20 Jerry Springer viewers to equal the IQ of one 5 year old Trekkie.*

Click for Spoiler:

*however, this may be an overstatement.

I hate it! I've suffered through a few eps of Surivivor and Isimply can't do it. The worst of the genre are on the Fox channel. I think these shows are Fox's way not putting more worthwhile shows on.

Only 4 episodes?  I thought I missed like 10.  Cool, I'll download them tomorrow or Monday, depending on what tomorrow has in store. :quark:

So how were the first few Episodes that you downloaded?

Reality television really, really annoys me. To say that it irritates the hell out of me would be an understatement. I have never watched a reality program and I don't ever intend to watch one. There is no purpose to these programs and are they really portraying reality?? Is it just me, or have the number of reality programs increased over the last five years? It seems there is a reality program about almost 'everything' these days.

I think Survivor would have to be the worst example of a reality program. Another one we have here in Australia is Big Brother - what a load of bullsh*t. The newest one to come out here is The Hot House. I have never seen it but it sounds ridiculous, just like the rest of them. People that want to get payed big bucks to embarress themselves on tv are complete idiots

Madam Captain out!!

I have never watched a reality program and I don't ever intend to watch one.

I think Survivor would have to be the worst example of a reality program.

Madam Captain out!!

If you've never watched then how do you know if it's good, bad or horrible? That's like someone saying Star Trek is a racist, sexist show that only panders to the lowest comon denominator when in fact the person saying that has never seen the show.

There are at least 2 examples of members on this board that thought the same thing, or close to the same thing. I asked them to watch Survivor this season starting with Episode 1 and then base their view on it in an informed way. In both of those cases they changed their minds and really like the show.

In at least one of the cases the person said to me that they are "addicted" to it now and don't know why they weren't watching it all along. Once the episode ends they can't wait for the next week's episode to begin.

So I challenge you too to watch the show, then if you still feel the same way at least you will have an informed opinion and can say "Yes, I watched a full season and I hated it".

I think reality programes are a waste of time and money :) the sooner they ditch them the better :)

Also as for Pop Idol what a load of crap :laugh: :) :)

i have concluded something from all this reality show crapt

IT makes you appreciatate sitcoms.. more..but overall.. most of the things that are on TV are crapt... except Star Trek.. and other Sci-fi shows.. (of course) :)

I agree with you Barry with the whole American Idol B*llsh*t.  I wish that American networks would eliminate the reality television genre alltogether.

:cool:

They won't eliminate their biggest money maker, Not while it's making money hand over fist.

I think reality programes are a waste of time and money  ;)  the sooner they ditch them the better  ;)

Also as for Pop Idol what a load of crap  :) :) :lol:

I agree that reality programs are a waste of time and money. Pop Idol was a load of crap, even thought I didn't watch it, I know that it was something that I would never watch. I'm not sure how people can become addicted to these programs - what an insult to a person's intelligence. People that watch reality programs need to get a life!!! Give me Star Trek any day.

Madam Captain out!!