Sign in to follow this  
shadowfigment

Reality TV = "Real Lie" TV

What Do You Think Of Reality Televison?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think Of Reality Televison?

• I Love It
    • I Hate It
    • I Dont Care (I Only Watch Enterprise)
    • I Dont Watch Television At All

I actually never voted in this poll because none of the answers fit me.

And, all I said to start this whole battle of words was the premise doesn't appeal to my tastes. And I don't need to watch it to know that because I am the foremost authority on what my tastes are.

Basically, it just really annoys me when people try to supplant my judgment with theirs. They've never met me yet they know what I would or wouldn't like.

VBG, I succumbed to pressue and let someone talk me into watching The Sixth Sense against my better judgment - "oh, you'll like it - it's so good" - so I thought maybe they're right - what a waste of money, I was so bored I could scream, thank goodness for the fast forward button. But I also read a review of a movie here that I hadn't intended to see that presented in such a different light than the previews that I felt interested in watching. She didn't just say it was good, she explained the message she got and what the movie "said" to her. (That was luvin1stdegree's review of Bruce Almighty) and it was a better movie than the previews indicated.

However, no one has given a description of Survivor or any other "reality" show that offers any insight into why I should watch it - or what I'm supposed to get out of it. All I've gotten is criticism because I may have mischaracterized some technical detail.

Why do you like the show? What is the aspect you enjoy? In what way does it enrich your life? Do you learn something from it? Given your knowledge of the show - do you think someone who hates sports, talk shows, relationship shows, game shows and inane chit chat in general would find something in this show they might like?

Edited

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I like reality shwos but it depends on what kind of.I hate Big Brother or somethign like that but I do like a show called Expedition Robinson over here and its a survival realityshow,that one I do like.

Why do you like the show?  What is the aspect you enjoy? In what way does it enrich your life?  Do you learn something from it? Given your knowledge of the show - do you think someone who hates sports, talk shows, relationship shows, game shows and inane chit chat in general would find something in this show they might like?

Don't look at it as a battle of words, we had a thoughtful discussion on a difference of opinion. You are totally right, you know what appeals to you and I respect that and won't try to convince you to watch something you don't wish to.

Why do I like the show? It's not for the silly little games they play, though some of them can be entertaining. The silly little games they play are a minor part of what's really happening. It's the interpersonal relationships that are build that interest me so much. To see how 16 complete strangers form a new society and the rules of that society. How do they interact, what do they do when someone isn't "pulling his or her weight". Do the strong survive or do the weak? It's the daily camp life, the actual "surviving" that interests me.

It's really a microcosm of modern society, modern psychology. It's like a study in human behavior. The games themselves serve a purpose, they determine who gets a reward or who can't be voted out but they are more there to cause stress and friction in the tribes.

Like I said though, I won't try to convince you to watch. You know what you like and what you don't like and what interests you and what doesn't. I really enjoy Survivor though and I just enjoy sharing things that I get a great deal of enjoyment out of with others, as witnessed by the existence of this message board lol.

TUH if you ever have the desire to watch a season of Survivor, PM me. I wouldn't want you to decide to watch simply because "I said you should" or "just to get me off your back about it" or whatever but if you really ever have a desire to watch a full season just to see what all the fuss is about, let me know.